Accidentally Opened AIO

No, he literally did it just now, that's hilarious though!

5 minutes ago, PotatoDave said:

He only lost a few drops because the block was at the high point of the loop when he opened it.  But will it seal shut again?

Yes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Danioki said:

maybe if you clean it first and then use treated distilled water.

Likely won’t have the same characteristics.  The thing was designed for what was put in it.  Gravity house radiators are actually specifically designed for tap water for example.  It’s one of the reasons the pipes are iron.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

There was another thread with the exact same scenario a week ago. That was a Corsair AIO as well.

I wonder if that was your friend posting? :D If not then I guess your friend can take some satisfaction in knowing he isn't the only one who made this mistake.

In some sense, if two people did this in a week it kind of suggests a design flaw.  I can see why they both would think "oh I'll just remove the screws" but what can Corsair do?  Maybe torx screws or something?

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

But with what?  The problem with AIOs is they like to fill them with weird, proprietary, and sometimes toxic stuff

I mean whatever they use works really well.

They require no servicing and last years.

Just now, PotatoDave said:

In some sense, if two people did this in a week it kind of suggests a design flaw.  I can see why they both would think "oh I'll just remove the screws" but what can Corsair do?  Maybe torx screws or something?

Exactly! Torx screws (or any type of "security" screw) will go a long way to preventing people from accidentally opening their AIOs. While I normally don't like manufacturers that unnecessarily put in torx/security screws to prevent people from repairing their devices, there are situations like this where it makes sense to use them to prevent people from damaging the item.

If it has happened to two people on these forums in the past week then I'm sure it's happening to plenty of other people as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Exactly! Torx screws (or any type of "security" screw) will go a long way to preventing people from accidentally opening their AIOs. While I normally don't like manufacturers that unnecessarily put in torx/security screws to prevent people from repairing their devices, there are situations like this where it makes sense to use them to prevent people from damaging the item.

If it has happened to two people on these forums in the past week then I'm sure it's happening to plenty of other people as well.

Yeah, he's a smart guy.  He's been streaming his build all day and I've been stepping through it with him, I'm gone for like 5 or 10 minutes, I come back and it's like "dude, we have a problem."  But I can see what he was thinking.  He needed to remove something, there were screws near it, he had a screwdriver right there....

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

To in a hour. This week?  At least 4 ive seen.

Put it back together, assuming only a few drops leaked out it will be fine.

Dont worry about air in the AIO, they have a small amount of air in them anyway, they are not made in a vacuum.

The more important issue is making sure the motherboard and all the electronics are dry before trying to put power through them.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 8 months later...

This also happened to me the exact same way trying to remove the intel brackets, dunno way i thought removing those screw will help( I’m an idiot i know). Mine was more than a few drops don’t know if it will work will put it on my system this Saturday (im missing a part amd stock mobo stock mounting bracket) i will see how it works and if I’ll have buy a new aio water cooler again(ellite capellix h100i) or try too refill it.

On 3/8/2020 at 4:09 AM, RonnieOP said:

Its possible to refil an aio but its not easy.

Could OP not just submerge it in a bucket of water (with biocide) and then close the connection whilst it is in the bucket. That way no water would escape

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

35 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Could OP not just submerge it in a bucket of water (with biocide) and then close the connection whilst it is in the bucket. That way no water would escape

That is one method.  The bucket must of course be completely clean. The air must be worked out of the line completely, the open end must be the highest point while still remaining submerged.  As was stated, complicated.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That is one method.  The bucket must of course be completely clean. The air must be worked out of the line completely, the open end must be the highest point while still remaining submerged.  As was stated, complicated.

But if you completely submerge it the air should escape if you just leave it for a few hours, right ?

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

2 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

But if you completely submerge it the air should escape if you just leave it for a few hours, right ?

Bubbles that are trapped by gravity would be trapped. Bubbles can move with time out of a loop that is running if the water is moving, so if you put the thing in a bucket and ran it that could work.  I don’t know if that’s possible though. The outside of a loop isn’t really meant to get wet.

16 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

I don't think you can submerge the CPU block as there are non-sealed PCBs and control units for the pump there. It would be possible however if you submerged the radiator portion instead.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:04 PM, Bombastinator said:

Disagree with this.  It might be why every one I ever bought had super annoying bubble sounds though.  Air makes noise.  Lots of it.

Air in a cooling system causes cavitation (the noise you hear) and cavitation causes erosion.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

5 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Air in a cooling system causes cavitation (the noise you hear) and cavitation causes erosion.

It might also cause cavitation.  We might not be talking about the same thing.  My understanding of cavitation happens when water is forced to travel faster than it’s actually able to.  Little vacuum bubbles will for which collapse with a lot of force and can actually put metal.  Doesn’t require air. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

It might also cause cavitation.  We might not be talking about the same thing.  My understanding of cavitation happens when water is forced to travel faster than it’s actually able to.  Little vacuum bubbles will for which collapse with a lot of force and can actually put metal.  Doesn’t require air. 

We might be on the same train of thought... somewhat. Ever seen a video of a boat prop under water when under power and how it separates the air out of the water causing cavitation? That is basically the same thing an impeller in a cooling system water pump is capable of. Not to that extreme, but you get the idea. You are correct about the bubbles bursting and causing minute damage. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

1 hour ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

We might be on the same train of thought... somewhat. Ever seen a video of a boat prop under water when under power and how it separates the air out of the water causing cavitation? That is basically the same thing an impeller in a cooling system water pump is capable of. Not to that extreme, but you get the idea. You are correct about the bubbles bursting and causing minute damage. 

I have and that’s not what happens.  Well. It’s not what cavitation is anyway.   A bubble doesn’t necessarily have air in it.  I understand cavitation bubbles are generally superheated steam.  An object has to move pretty fast to cause it.  Water cooler Pump impellers might of course, I don’t know how fast they go.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

the issue with noisy AIOs isnt cavitation, or at least not the noise I’m talking about, cavitation noise would happen whether a loop was totally full of water or not.  it’s the air bubbles in the not totally full of liquid system “burbling” like a brook.

Edited by Bombastinator