Memory not as fast as advertised?

This is most likely a stupid question, but I was talking to a friend about upgrading his PC and at some point RAM came up. I couldn't remember what speed I had so I looked up how to do find it and found out I can look at it more easily through the command "wmic memorychip get speed" which displayed two lines of "2666". That to me seems like I have two sticks of 2700 Mhz but I looked at the online receipt I got a while back and it clearly says "CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D4 3600 C16 VLPX". Is this normal and I'm just being stupid/need to mess around in the BIOS or did I get scammed? Sorry if I respond late and thank you in advance if I personally forget to do so!

Just now, Sam Joseph said:

This is most likely a stupid question, but I was talking to a friend about upgrading his PC and at some point RAM came up. I couldn't remember what speed I had so I looked up how to do find it and found out I can look at it more easily through the command "wmic memorychip get speed" which displayed two lines of "2666". That to me seems like I have two sticks of 2700 Mhz but I looked at the online receipt I got a while back and it clearly says "CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D4 3600 C16 VLPX". Is this normal and I'm just being stupid/need to mess around in the BIOS or did I get scammed? Sorry if I respond late and thank you in advance if I personally forget to do so!

Have you turned on XMP/AXMP/DOCP in your motherboard's BIOS?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

you didnt get scammed, some processors can only take that speed without overclock. i thought was laptop only but if desktop try xpm profile in bios

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

1 minute ago, Snowarch said:

you didnt get scammed, some processors can only take that speed without overclock. i thought was laptop only but if desktop try xpm profile in bios

I have a 3900x and I've been told it can handle the higher speeds since it's relatively new. Maybe I just gotta putts around in the BIOS with xpm. Thanks for the information!

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Have you turned on XMP/AXMP/DOCP in your motherboard's BIOS?

I completely forgot that was a setting in the BIOS. I'll give it a look some time soon. Thanks for help!

Just now, Sam Joseph said:

I completely forgot that was a setting in the BIOS. I'll give it a look some time soon. Thanks for help!

if it's not turned on (which it is not by default), the RAM will go to its highest default speed, which is often 2133/2400/2666Mhz, as opposed to the XMP speed it can reach.

You have to look for the technology I mentioned before in your motherboard.

In my experience most brands call it XMP/XAMP/A-XMP, ASUS calls it DOCP (on AMD boards)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/