Car Radio Video Unlock?

cluelessgenius

i already asked in more car related forums but i thought id just ask around...

is there anyone on the forum taht knows his/her stuff when it come to unlocking video while driving?

its a magnetti marelli RT3 radio (in a Peugeot 307 CC)

i saw these videos that made me believe that its possible

but of course there no tutorial and i didnt find a way to contact him

researching online i found this pdf that explains how to solder a cable to 1 pin on the display and make it switchable per hand but the instructions stop abruptly and while i can kinda figure where its going i still thought i might ask around first

im not gonna post the pdf but you find it on eastern european sites if you just google "aux_rt3.pdf"

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

There may be multiple ways to accomplish this, but people won't know if they can help unless you tell them the unit you're using.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

There may be multiple ways to accomplish this, but people won't know if they can help unless you tell them the unit you're using.  

well i thought id first go fish for people generaly knowledgable about this topic then go into detail but fine why not ill edit the post

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

well i thought id first go fish for people generaly knowledgable about this topic then go into detail but fine why not ill edit the post

Ahhhh but then folks not knowledgeable in general but who possess knowledge of your particulars may not engage.  

Also, have you contacted any local custom audio shops and asked them?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I'd venture to guess that there may be a mechanical defeat device if it's an aftermarket head unit.  If it's relying on sensing on whether the car is in park then that's probably where the defeat device would be installed.  If it's something newer and/or OEM then software may be involved.  Like rooting an Android Auto system.  

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ahhhh but then folks not knowledgeable in general but who possess knowledge of your particulars may not engage.  

Also, have you contacted any local custom audio shops and asked them?  

yes theyll tell me the car is too old to make it worth it or they dont know shit about this modell or theyll try and sell me a new radio instead

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

I'd venture to guess that there may be a mechanical defeat device if it's an aftermarket head unit.  If it's relying on sensing on whether the car is in park then that's probably where the defeat device would be installed.  If it's something newer and/or OEM then software may be involved.  Like rooting an Android Auto system.  

ye theres "stupid-can" adapters that simulate to the radio that the car is driving 5 km/h and therefore enable video but those are a hundred bucks and i thought if this tutorial pdf is to be believed then why spend it. also that would also mess with the onboard computer and messing up fuel comsumption calculations and so on so id call it sub-optimal

Well sheeeeeeet.  OEM defeats are gonna be the hardest.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Well sheeeeeeet.  OEM defeats are gonna be the hardest.  

how do you mean?

Why do you want to watch video while driving?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

how do you mean?

The sensors they have access to and the manner in which they are connected.  

Just now, Vitamanic said:

ill hook up a raspberrry pi running android auto to i can effectivly use android auto on the stock radio screen.

dont worry im not about to distract myself with watching stars wars while driving :D

1 minute ago, nick name said:

The sensors they have access to and the manner in which they are connected.  

well idk but again i really would like to avoid that kind of fakery

In most units ive seen you just have to ground out the parking break wire.

Check the manual on which wire that is.

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

I bypassed mine for when the kids are in the car.

Or if you want to listen to a dvd while driving.

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

In most units ive seen you just have to ground out the parking break wire.

Check the manual on which wire that is.

not even sure what you mean

28 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

not even sure what you mean

The wiring harness that plugs into your dvd player. Each of those wires go to something (speakers, power, ground, etc) one of them goes to the parking brake.

If you can find out which wire goes to the parking brake you can cut it and attach it to a ground and it will bypass it.

Ive been doing car audio installs professionally for 20 years or so. I could tell you how to easily bypass the video lock out modes on almost every aftermarket radio but that one you listed Im assuming is a stock radio? We dont have Peugeot here or Magnetti. Is that an aftermarket unit or the one that comes installed from factory? From the images I could see it looks like it has a universal quad lock connector on it. Ill check into that PDF you listed and see if I can make some sense of it

Sorry I googled that PDF and the only thing I could find was a website where I have to sign up to view it and Im not gonna do that. If you can post a link to a public source ill look at it for you.

8 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

The wiring harness that plugs into your dvd player. Each of those wires go to something (speakers, power, ground, etc) one of them goes to the parking brake.

If you can find out which wire goes to the parking brake you can cut it and attach it to a ground and it will bypass it.

except its a can bus interface. soo... 

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Ive been doing car audio installs professionally for 20 years or so. I could tell you how to easily bypass the video lock out modes on almost every aftermarket radio but that one you listed Im assuming is a stock radio? We dont have Peugeot here or Magnetti. Is that an aftermarket unit or the one that comes installed from factory? From the images I could see it looks like it has a universal quad lock connector on it. Ill check into that PDF you listed and see if I can make some sense of it

yes its stock and thank you

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Sorry I googled that PDF and the only thing I could find was a website where I have to sign up to view it and Im not gonna do that. If you can post a link to a public source ill look at it for you.

it seems to be taken down from most sources. ill try and post it somewhere later

4 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

https://gofile.io/?c=AnyGvJ

easy,  pull the radio out, ground the parking brake, and slide the radio back in.

it tells the radio system that the vehicle is in park, even if its not and you can do whatever you want.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

21 hours ago, Tsuki said:

easy,  pull the radio out, ground the parking brake, and slide the radio back in.

it tells the radio system that the vehicle is in park, even if its not and you can do whatever you want.

Thats not the case on the radio he listed. That works for many aftermarket radios but thats not what we are dealing with here. Also for what its worth thats also not always the way you do it on aftermarket either. For the OP I looked through what I could but honestly without having and actual radio in my hands I couldnt find enough info to give you a correct answer. If you do figure it out/do it Id love to hear your procedure.

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

Thats not the case on the radio he listed. That works for many aftermarket radios but thats not what we are dealing with here. Also for what its worth thats also not always the way you do it on aftermarket either. For the OP I looked through what I could but honestly without having and actual radio in my hands I couldnt find enough info to give you a correct answer. If you do figure it out/do it Id love to hear your procedure.

very true.

with his specifically, after digging into what i can find, i believe if he grounds the white wire, and provides 12v to the green wire in the factory wiring harness, it should do the trick. 

however, a disclaimer, its not one that ive personally worked on and theres always a chance itll also just blow up the radio.

you can also find and buy an adaptor that you can just plug in, and itll do what he needs, but they are rather expensive

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:46 AM, Tsuki said:

alright....havent heard that one yet. now only to find out which pin is the parking break i guess but i was under the impresion the radio is hooked up via can bus protocol sooo...yeah

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

well i mean i posted the pdf. so ill probably go by that.

8 hours ago, Tsuki said:

very true.

with his specifically, after digging into what i can find, i believe if he grounds the white wire, and provides 12v to the green wire in the factory wiring harness, it should do the trick. 

however, a disclaimer, its not one that ive personally worked on and theres always a chance itll also just blow up the radio.

you can also find and buy an adaptor that you can just plug in, and itll do what he needs, but they are rather expensive

how did you come to that concluion. you got some wiring diagram that might help me? also yeah i know about the adapters but those are expensive and they mes with the onboard computer calculating milage and stuff soo im trying to avoid those. again i realize getting an aftermarket radio is way easier but having the front display in the car be black all the time would really mess with me so ill try whatever