Scan fingerprint using sensor and make it return a boolean to a java program

Srijan Verma

Right now i am just looking for ideas for a java college project and in one of them I plan to have fingerprint authentication using a usb fingerprint scanner (open to using even a raspberry pi with module).
If anyone could help out with what would we need to make that work with our java code.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I'm not a Java programmer, but what I can say is, you'll probably have to play with the device drivers. These scanners typically work by sending information from the sensor to the computer, where it is processed. The sensor itself has no real logic.

This would mean that you're going to have a real fun time reverse-engineering the drivers, and you'll probably need some proxy software that can return a bool, which would then get passed into your chunk of software.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Any fingerprint scanner worth your time will have a library/API that you will use to interface with it. Whether it works with Java is a totally different story. Research whatever fingerprint scanner you're looking to buy first and make sure it either has a Java version or you're able to interface whatever language it does have a library in with Java.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

The easiest would probably be using an Android phone with a fingerprint scanner and using Android's fingerprint API from Java. The API won't hand out much more than a boolean to start with ;)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If you going to do the easy route and only doing it on a desktop, use a DigitalPersona reader.

I have personally used it to develop on .NET and Java and the SDK is really complete if you want to do complex stuff later.