Cool idea for a new form factor

Thought this would be a good way to shorten the length of the keyboard to fit more comfortably on your desk while still retaining a numpad

k100.png

just noticed that even the dots lined up lol ^

Hi,

There are keyboards (example here) with the num pad on the left so there is more space for the mouse. with that said, this too is a unique way of doing it.

Regards,

Clean

What am I supposed to be looking at?  

Edit:

NVM I see what you did now and I don't like it.  I use those keys more often than the number pad and I still use the number pad so I am biased though.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

What am I supposed to be looking at?  

Edit:

NVM I see what you did now and I don't like it.  I use those keys more often than the number pad and I still use the number pad so I am biased though.  

they are on the number pad if you toggle num lock

7 minutes ago, clean said:

Hi,

There are keyboards (example here) with the num pad on the left so there is more space for the mouse. with that said, this too is a unique way of doing it.

Regards,

Clean

thats very good from a typing standpoint, not so much from a gaming as wasd would be too centered, which is why i see they market it as a left handed because it has red switches

14 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

Thought this would be a good way to shorten the length of the keyboard to fit more comfortably on your desk while still retaining a numpad

k100.png

also notice I swapped delete (clear) and numlock so delete would still be to the right of backspace, and numlock would be with its buddy scroll lock

was just was cutting and pasting with ms paint while at school so things are a little off, re centered the logo tho

3 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

thats very good from a typing standpoint, not so much from a gaming as wasd would be too centered, which is why i see they market it as a left handed because it has red switches

Yeah gaming often runs the 60% (if custom or really into mechs) or a 10 keyless.- which I run myself. 

Regards,

Clean

11 minutes ago, clean said:

Yeah gaming often runs the 60% (if custom or really into mechs) or a 10 keyless.- which I run myself. 

Regards,

Clean

now if only @Corsair would see it...

This is often called the 'navless' form factor. Coolermaster used to make some keyboards with this design, their TK and M keyboards.

Personally I would like having the numpad in the left a bit more and having the keyboard a bit smaller on the right.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

This is often called the 'navless' form factor. Coolermaster used to make some keyboards with this design, their TK and M keyboards.

Personally I would like having the numpad in the left a bit more and having the keyboard a bit smaller on the right.

thanks! never know it was a thing

23 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

thanks! never know it was a thing

go on r/mechanicalkeyboards for alot of cool keyboard layouts. I am personally switching to Ortholinear this summer when my holy pandas come in. 

As mentioned, navless. 1800-layout and 96-key also exist. Corsair has no reason to experiment with fancy form factors. They can just continue producing their expensive, but pretty bad keyboards, as there are plenty of people that still buy them.

:)

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

As mentioned, navless. 1800-layout and 96-key also exist. Corsair has no reason to experiment with fancy form factors. They can just continue producing their expensive, but pretty bad keyboards, as there are plenty of people that still buy them.

lol only a few of those put the delete where the numlock is and your gonna need to get something like autohotkey to change that since without icue... corsair keyboards are great just hard to find on sale. Maybe you dont like certain cherry switches and thats fine but its what the majority of people know so for a large company it makes sense. But its no denying they have very well build and good material keyboards with the best software on the market.

Id disagree with saying there is no reason to change from standard formfactor since it is an oversaturated market and this combines an interest in tenkeyless without what is considered to be the main drawback

1 minute ago, CadetSparklez said:

lol only a few of those put the delete where the numlock is and your gonna need to get something like autohotkey to change that since without icue...

No, because with customs, you can just change it without any issue. Usually, they use QMK or similar software that just runs onboard the keyboard, so you don't need to run 20 different proprietary softwares on your PC.

2 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

corsair keyboards are great just hard to find on sale. Maybe you dont like certain cherry switches and thats fine but its what the majority of people know so for a large company it makes sense. But its no denying they have very well build and good material keyboards with the best software on the market.

The keycaps are worse than what you get on $25 mechanical keyboards, the stabilisers are among the worst you can get, the switches are mediocre at best, the build quality is comparable to $25 mechs, and the software is regarded by most as being one of the worst peripheral softwares on the market.

3 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

Id disagree with saying there is no reason to change from standard formfactor since it is an oversaturated market and this combines an interest in tenkeyless without what is considered to be the main drawback

If there was such a big market for navless form factors, why would Cooler Master discontinue the Masterkeys Pro M? People that are interested enough in keyboards to consider navless are likely the same people that do enough research to realise that e.g. 1800 layout Leopold keyboards exist. Despite mostly using Cherry switches, they are well regarded, even by enthusiasts.

I quite like this format. I'd still like the arrow keys in the same format so make the 5 the down arrow on the numpad instead of 2. 

The one thing im missing there is the Insert key as well. I often use that in word / notepad / etc....

It makes a lot more sense to me having the numpad than the arrow keys like a TKL

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

22 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I quite like this format. I'd still like the arrow keys in the same format so make the 5 the down arrow on the numpad instead of 2. 

The one thing im missing there is the Insert key as well. I often use that in word / notepad / etc....

It makes a lot more sense to me having the numpad than the arrow keys like a TKL

oh lol mentioned switching the 5 and 2 alt functions somewhere else as well, ins is on 0 unless thats short for asomething else i beleve, but you bould put an extra on 5 instead of clear(del) since thats where numlock is, and move insert to 2 if arrow is on 5.

I think people are obsessed withg the 4 way simmetry with the arrows on numpad but thats really easy to switch in icue

23 hours ago, seon123 said:

No, because with customs, you can just change it without any issue. Usually, they use QMK or similar software that just runs onboard the keyboard, so you don't need to run 20 different proprietary softwares on your PC.

The keycaps are worse than what you get on $25 mechanical keyboards, the stabilisers are among the worst you can get, the switches are mediocre at best, the build quality is comparable to $25 mechs, and the software is regarded by most as being one of the worst peripheral softwares on the market.

If there was such a big market for navless form factors, why would Cooler Master discontinue the Masterkeys Pro M? People that are interested enough in keyboards to consider navless are likely the same people that do enough research to realise that e.g. 1800 layout Leopold keyboards exist. Despite mostly using Cherry switches, they are well regarded, even by enthusiasts.

i agree the stabilizers are bad, the keycaps are metal on the higher end and none of my plastic ones have faded in 2 years of use. most people say cherry is the best switch and they market to most people so saying they are mediocre is sorta dumb. I cue is extremely customizable and always works, almost all others are just to change colours of leds and barely work and have no macro or key-swapping support. icue got a bad rep from a fault 1 time and best case scenario for other brands in cpu usage, it is always 1.3% on a 6 core for me and ive had msi stuff take over 10% on average over hours.

corsair has 1 proprietary software for everything they make

no enthusiast buys cooler master keyboards, they are budget only for mass market

a normal person looks at that shit and thinks it looks weird and would never get one, plus all of them are ugly and marketing is about looks mostly, thats why razer can exist

edit: and yes ive seen those never knew the name, in fact ive also seen othorlinear versions as well, the point is the arrow keys on the nav and arrow keys on the numpad are redundant so getting rid of them takes up less space and it looks "cleaner" to not have them shifted down like that

16 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

the keycaps are metal on the higher end

No...? Some artisans are milled out of metal, but most higher end keycaps are made from ABS or PBT. The issue with the keycaps on Corsair's keyboards is that they are super thin laser etched ABS keycaps. That's the second worst kind you can get. On $25 mechs you typically get doubleshot ABS keycaps that are thicker than what you get on Corsair's K95 Platinum.

17 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

most people say cherry is the best switch and they market to most people so saying they are mediocre is sorta dumb

Some people have actually tried other switches. Various Gaterons, Kailh Box variants, Zeals, Durocks, and many of the other custom switches on the market. Saying something is the best, when you're comparing it to the worst possible alternatives says more about the reviewer than the product.

20 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

I cue is extremely customizable and always works, almost all others are just to change colours of leds and barely work and have no macro or key-swapping support. icue got a bad rep from a fault 1 time and best case scenario for other brands in cpu usage, it is always 1.3% on a 6 core for me and ive had msi stuff take over 10% on average over hours.

corsair has 1 proprietary software for everything they make

You wish. Icue is still deservedly known for being crap and using way too much resources. Compare that to customs, which doesn't require any software to run on the PC, and let you customise everything.

20 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

no enthusiast buys cooler master keyboards, they are budget only for mass market

That entirely depends on what's available, and the budget. They have decent budget options, and even some options that use Gateron switches, which are both cheaper and smoother than Cherry switches.

If there is a brand that is avoided by enthusiasts and liked by the mass market, I would say it's Corsair. Even Razer has a (singular) actually decent keyboard, with the Huntsman TE. Decent stabs, good switches, removeable cable, decent build quality, standard bottom row layout. That's one more than Corsair, if you're keeping count.

23 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

a normal person looks at that shit and thinks it looks weird and would never get one, plus all of them are ugly and marketing is about looks mostly, thats why razer can exist

Then why would Corsair be successful with something weird like that...?

14 hours ago, seon123 said:

No...? Some artisans are milled out of metal, but most higher end keycaps are made from ABS or PBT. The issue with the keycaps on Corsair's keyboards is that they are super thin laser etched ABS keycaps. That's the second worst kind you can get. On $25 mechs you typically get doubleshot ABS keycaps that are thicker than what you get on Corsair's K95 Platinum.

Some people have actually tried other switches. Various Gaterons, Kailh Box variants, Zeals, Durocks, and many of the other custom switches on the market. Saying something is the best, when you're comparing it to the worst possible alternatives says more about the reviewer than the product.

You wish. Icue is still deservedly known for being crap and using way too much resources. Compare that to customs, which doesn't require any software to run on the PC, and let you customise everything.

That entirely depends on what's available, and the budget. They have decent budget options, and even some options that use Gateron switches, which are both cheaper and smoother than Cherry switches.

If there is a brand that is avoided by enthusiasts and liked by the mass market, I would say it's Corsair. Even Razer has a (singular) actually decent keyboard, with the Huntsman TE. Decent stabs, good switches, removeable cable, decent build quality, standard bottom row layout. That's one more than Corsair, if you're keeping count.

dude im aware there are better keys and doubleshot keycaps myself but the 99% of people dont know and it would just be worse profit margins for no extra sales 

your not wrong just you started by acting like u knew what they should do when u are clearly not fit to manage a large company

17 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

clearly not fit to manage a large company

And you are?

1 hour ago, CadetSparklez said:

dude im aware there are better keys and doubleshot keycaps myself but the 99% of people dont know and it would just be worse profit margins for no extra sales

your not wrong just you started by acting like u knew what they should do when u are clearly not fit to manage a large company

My goal is not to give Corsair advice, and make sure that Corsair makes a decent profit. My goal right now is informing whoever reads this, so they are aware of what's out there, and so that they can make better decisions. Which product would you rather buy? One that costs more and has a higher profit margin for Corsair, or one that's built better, doesn't cheap out as much on everything, doesn't require super crappy software, and uses better switches?

We are consumers. We should buy the best product for the price, so companies like Corsair will have to start making decent stuff.

To be clear, I do admire Corsair for being able to sell keyboards for $200, when they are so blatantly worse than even $30 options. I also admire them for managing to apparently develop a cult following that cares more about the company's profit margin, than actually getting a half-decent product. That does not mean that I would buy or recommend such a keyboard.

Edited by seon123
Something something

7 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

And you are?

who are you? this guy is just bothering me for no reason and u decide to see this and be like oh i should be on this guys side

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

My goal is not to give Corsair advice, and make sure that Corsair makes a decent profit. My goal right now is informing whoever reads this, so they are aware of what's out there, and so that they can make better decisions. Which product would you rather buy? One that costs more and has a higher profit margin for Corsair, or one that's built better, doesn't cheap out as much on everything, doesn't require super crappy software, and uses better switches?

We are consumers. We should buy the best product for the price, so companies like Corsair will have to start making decent stuff.

To be clear, I do admire Corsair for being able to sell keyboards for $200, when they are so blatantly worse than even $30 options. I also admire them for managing to apparently develop a cult following that cares more about the company's profit margin, than actually getting a half-decent product. That does not mean that I would buy or recommend such a keyboard.

u started by acting like u knew whats best and ur telling lies about "crappy software" and "mediocre switches"

22 hours ago, seon123 said:

dude ur pretty far gone, its less weird than a tenkeyless (since you dont lose keys) which is considered normal as well because everything is in the same spot