Anyone see anything wrong with this build? (ECC RAM compatibility scares me)

Going to throw together a new nas box to replace a system I've had running non-stop for the past seven years (minus...you know...power outages) and am planning on going with freenas this go around. Prior, I had always used samba on a debian install, so moving on up I suppose. My concern is with ECC ram compatibility as this will be the first system I've built that will use it. I believe everything I have on this list should work, but was wanting someone else to confirm. The product descriptions for the ram modules on newegg are making me second guess myself as they state "MEMORY for SUPERMICRO Motherboards" or other specific machine names...which I find odd as they should work with any hardware that supports ecc memory...right?

Build List:

This RAM will not work. Not because it's ECC. That's irrelevent but because it's RDIMM (Registered Memory). RDIMM modules have an extra buffer chip that acts as an intermediately between the memory chips and the CPU. Most/all desktop chips are incompatible with this. You would need a server platform for RDIMM module support.

3000G does not support ECC.

For Raven Ridge APUs, ECC support is only available on the PRO models. You should find a PRO suffixed APU (which is OEM-only and often more expensive) or switch to Ryzen CPU.

The memory kit is a resisted kit which will not work outside the specified vendor's system.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

The issue with ECC (UDIMM) support on consumer platforms like these is that it'll often work, but with ECC mode disabled.

This is the case as well with Pentiums and Core i3 chips, which all support ECC memory, but only enable it on C-series chipsets,

like the C246. Keeping cost low is not really going to happen if you go that route.

Make sure the board you pick has ECC UDIMM support listed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Glad I second guessed myself! Thank you to everyone that replied. I'm going to do some more research before moving forward.

all add a quick note, that PSU is horrible. go with something else.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

all add a quick note, that PSU is horrible. go with something else.

? Thanks! After some more digging I decided to go with the following synology prebuilt nas. Since I'm only doing a simple RAID 1 setup this makes things even simpler AND cheaper.

54 minutes ago, commanderZiltoid said:

? Thanks! After some more digging I decided to go with the following synology prebuilt nas. Since I'm only doing a simple RAID 1 setup this makes things even simpler AND cheaper.

you can get boxes with double the drive bays for the same cost

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

When it comes to building a server or NAS with Ryzen it's hard to get around having a dedicated graphics card take up space(if you want ECC). The only options for running Ryzen with ECC and without a graphics card is ordering a Ryzen PRO 2200G/2400G/3200G/3400G off eBay, or getting the Asrock Rack x470D4U(2-2T) motherboard that has IPMI.

Personally I lean more towards the Asrock Rack motherboard. You could put a 2300X or a 2600 into it and if you ever needed to upgrade there's many options. The IPMI, in addition to providing video output, is also a powerful monitoring and management tool.

Don't forget that Intel CPUs that are i3 and below also support ECC and usually have video out, but in traditional Intel fashion require a more expensive motherboard with a workstation chipset.