Streaming PC to go with my Gaming PC 2700x

Nardella

TL;DR

Is going above 3000 16 memory going to have a significant performance boost for software encoding on a 2700x?

I wanted to wait until the next generation of Ryzen so that the 3700x would drop to levels akin to the 2700x now, but considering I don't know when that happens, that I would prefer to get back into streaming in under 60 days and the possibility of long term parts shortages looming I am strongly considering pulling the trigger now.

Budget: Under 500 preferred but willing to go to 700ish for significant gains.

Use: This PC will be used almost exclusively for OBS to software encode a 4k60 output at 1080p60 medium (right now I am going to stick to a 1080p output, but I want to be ready for 4k) and hardware encode recordings with NVENC. While doing this I would like to be able to do some very basic web browsing, stream management, and A/V playback (to go with the stream). It will be connecting using NDI instead of a capture card, I have tested this extensively without issue.

Display: 2x or 3x 1440*900 with a matrox splitter (basically a 2880*900 or 4320*900 display).

Peripherals: None, going to use software KVM.

Reason for upgrade: Current streaming PC is a i5 3470, it simply cannot handle this. Justification for not using a 1660 with NVENC, software encoding at medium with the proper tweaks has the upper hand over NVENC by at least a small amount. The PsU in my i5 is not easily upgradable and I don't want to stress it with a 1600. Also, if I do this build over a video card upgrade I get to use the i5 as a media center PC.

Parts List and justifications:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QfrDn7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($214.00 @ Canada Computers) 

This CPU is the best bang for the buck and should easily be able to handle the workload.

Cooler: Stock, it is quiet enough and I won't be overclocking as I read that there is limited benefit to doing that with the 2700x.

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Cheapest of the B450 boards, I chose B450 for no particular reason.

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($55.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

This was the cheapest 3000 16 memory, going higher frequency and lower latency might be beneficial but I am unsure. I see no reason to worry about upgrades to higher capacity.

Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Canada Computers) 

I will be recording directly to this drive, I want something that boots quickly, doesn't involve unsightly cables and has the storage I need. Recordings will be transferred to external drives daily.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB Video Card 

I have this card, it can do everything I need it to.

Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Cheap, glass side panel, magnetic filters.

Power Supply, I will be using an old 600 watt PSU I have, it was a very high quality unit which I have an emotional attachment to and should be able to do the job.

Case fans. I have some very cheap and case fans bought from aliexpress a while ago, they should more than enough for cooling this, especially since the GPU will not be under load.

Total: $489.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-28 15:04 EST-0500

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QfrDn7