Upgrade RAM or get an SSD?

RGBisKey

Hi everyone, hope you're having a good day. I have the choice between upgrading to 16GB of ram from 8GB (DDR3 @1600MHz) or getting an SSD for my system. I currently am running off of an HDD for everything but I am also hitting RAM caps while gaming so I'm torn. I'd love to know your opinions on my upgrade path. If the full spec list will help just let me know and I can provide. Thank you.

Just now, ItsStrixx said:

Hi everyone, hope you're having a good day. I have the choice between upgrading to 16GB of ram from 8GB (DDR3 @1600MHz) or getting an SSD for my system. I currently am running off of an HDD for everything but I am also hitting RAM caps while gaming so I'm torn. I'd love to know your opinions on my upgrade path. If the full spec list will help just let me know and I can provide. Thank you.

Full specs would be nice to have, since it will be easier to judge. Also knowing in what games you hit the 8GB would be good to know.

My mind immediately goes out to SSD though, as using a PC without one - after getting used to an SSD - is just a drag. Plus, since your storage drive will do some tasks as 'RAM' once your system memory has run out, an SSD will help a bit in that regard too.

But gotta know some more context before giving you a definite one or the other.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, ItsStrixx said:

Hello,

Also, depending of your budget you could do both :)

It also depends on your usecase. If you are only gaming with the laptop, and it runs out of RAM all the time, it might be better to go with the RAM upgrade. It will give you better gaming performance, but the boot and loading times in general will remain slow

Hey there,

As minibois said, a full spec list would be needed for a definitive answer. However, in general, the ssd would be the way to go. Believe me when I say a new world will open ;)

Just now, Plouffe said:

Also, depending of your budget you could do both :)

I think it is pretty clear, that he/she would do both, if he/she had the possibility

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Full specs would be nice to have, since it will be easier to judge. Also knowing in what games you hit the 8GB would be good to know.

My mind immediately goes out to SSD though, as using a PC without one - after getting used to an SSD - is just a drag. Plus, since your storage drive will do some tasks as 'RAM' once your system memory has run out, an SSD will help a bit in that regard too.

But gotta know some more context before giving you a definite one or the other.

Full specs are: Intel core i5 4460 @3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1600MHz, Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6GB version, and 500GB HDD. The games I am hitting a cap on are borderlands 3 and fortnite at a mixture of medium and high settings.

1 minute ago, ItsStrixx said:

Full specs are: Intel core i5 4460 @3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1600MHz, Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6GB version, and 500GB HDD. The games I am hitting a cap on are borderlands 3 and fortnite at a mixture of medium and high settings.

Do you have free ram slots? You might be able to get a cheaper 120gb ssd and 4gb extra ram? 

3 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I think it is pretty clear, that he/she would do both, if he/she had the possibility

Well I can see budget management with build that cost 1500€ going down to 1000-1200€ with a better optimization without sacrificing the performance.

If he/she has 50-60€/$/£/bananas it's doable.

1 minute ago, ItsStrixx said:

As far as I can see, upgrading both would be around 90 USD:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($46.44 @ Amazon) 
Total: $85.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 07:37 EST-0500

I still feel like an SSD upgrade will do you better, but you should try to keep an eye on RAM usage during gameplay and try to see what is using so much RAM. Also see how disk usage is looking like.

RAM usage until 95% is quite normal. When it goes above that, that means you don't have enough RAM.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, lightfire said:

Do you have free ram slots? You might be able to get a cheaper 120gb ssd and 4gb extra ram? 

Nope no free ram slots

L