AMD 6128 Opteron CPUs suitable for folding?

I've been looking into creating a dedicated folding rig and I've come across some 6128 Opteron CPUs for sale.  I've tried searching for F@H experiences with the chips but most of what I find is pretty old.  Are there any reasons why I should aboid these CPUs or go with other options?  FYI they're going for $38/ea which seems insane for the chip.  I guess the motherboards are quite expensive for them but that's the only con I see.  Thanks for your input!

PS. I might be looking at creating a 2P (or even 4P!) machine with these if I can find the rest of the parts at a reasonable price.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

well, the thing with server cpus, usually you wanted them to do bigadv folding, as in bigger projects than normal folding which required alot of cores, and in return awarded alot of points, now that project has gone down the hill, they have been increasing the core count requirement eliminating socket-f from the project and might be canceling it alltogether, you can ofcourse still use them for normal folding and possibly fold bigadv for a while aswell, i can't say for sure but a gpu might be more power efficient compared to those cpus, if not more power efficient atleast more economic, it might be better for you to invest in a second gpu.

the power supply ram motherboard storage and cpu coolers required to make a full system will still cost you lots and lots of money, the motherboard and ram, each seperate will cost more than the cpu's, just housing the processors will be so much more expensive compared to the processors that you will probably see a better return in investing in more expensive processors as most of the money will go towards the components around them making them functional, but you already have those on your pre existing system so all the money goes to raw gpu horse powah, this is just my 5 cents, don't make a decision based entierly on that, could have @Whaler_99 share his opinion aswell.

all of that said! 38$ is cheap and these cpus are perfectly functional for folding, just know what you a throwing yourself into before buying anything because ram and motherboard aint cheap!,if you wont be doing bigadv in the first place, it might be doable to make a 2p system and throw a gpu or two in there, but now we are talking a massive investment and ludicrously high power consumption.

Yeah I would probably only go with those to make a 2p or 4p system for bigadv, but the cheapest 4p Socket G34 motherboard I could find on ebay is $500USD!  That's way out of my price range.  I might just try to find a 990FX board that supports 3- or 4-way XFire/SLI and load it up with GPUs.  I tsounds like theyre making it way too hard to get bigadv points any more.

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Yeah I would probably only go with those to make a 2p or 4p system for bigadv, but the cheapest 4p Socket G34 motherboard I could find on ebay is $500USD!  That's way out of my price range.  I might just try to find a 990FX board that supports 3- or 4-way XFire/SLI and load it up with GPUs.  I tsounds like theyre making it way too hard to get bigadv points any more.

i can tell you right now the only reason you found it that mind boggingly cheap is because you are in the us, the rest of the world is screwed, i payed about 1100$ for my board, those boards aren't cheap, but everything is cheap in america, and let me tell you.... ram isn't much better than the motherboard, it's expensive allright.

for reference i payed about 700$ for my cpu's 1100$ for my motherboard, i honestly can't remember how much i payed for ram.. let's just throw 400$ out there, i was really lucky with the ram(i could have ended up paying double that ammount), it was the only part i found for a reasonable price, then you have storage, 4 cpu coolers and a beefy powersupply, the cost quickly goes up, now you might have a hole burned through your pocket, instead a void in your heart you didn't even know existed is filled by the amazing beastly machine of awesomness that you just acquired.

Ya, those CPU's are the low end - at 8 cores. On a 2P box, you would barely make anything on a 8101 project. Plus, come april, you will need a 24 core min count to get BA projects. If you already have other gear, a multi GPU solution be the way to go.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

i can tell you right now the only reason you found it that mind boggingly cheap is because you are in the us, the rest of the world is screwed, i payed about 1100$ for my board, those boards aren't cheap, but everything is cheap in america, and let me tell you.... ram isn't much better than the motherboard, it's expensive allright.

for reference i payed about 700$ for my cpu's 1100$ for my motherboard, i honestly can't remember how much i payed for ram.. let's just throw 400$ out there, i was really lucky with the ram(i could have ended up paying double that ammount), it was the only part i found for a reasonable price, then you have storage, 4 cpu coolers and a beefy powersupply, the cost quickly goes up, now you might have a hole burned through your pocket, instead a void in your heart you didn't even know existed is filled by the amazing beastly machine of awesomness that you just acquired.

That last part... it was so poetic.  ;)

Yeah, I could see the price getting out of hand quickly.

Ya, those CPU's are the low end - at 8 cores. On a 2P box, you would barely make anything on a 8101 project. Plus, come april, you will need a 24 core min count to get BA projects. If you already have other gear, a multi GPU solution be the way to go.

Looks like I might start looking for additional graphics cards.  I'd like to get a dedicated system going but my motherboard supports quite a few graphics cards so I'll just fill that one up first.  B)