Does the manufacturer matter?

ishanc

Hi all,

I'm doing my first pc build and i'm stuck with my graphic card selection, the manufacturer selection to be precise. I'm going with RTX 2070 super.

Does it matter if i go with Galax or should I specifically choose from top manufacturers like Asus or MSI. There is a huge price difference between Galax's card and Asus's card (~11k inr).

Appreciate all the help.

There's a handful of manufacturers where their intangible goods make the product worth it.

eg. I don't buy from Asus because they don't care about you or your RMA if something goes wrong. But EVGA on the other hand will do everything in their power to make sure you're a happy customer.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, ishanc said:

Hi all,

I'm doing my first pc build and i'm stuck with my graphic card selection, the manufacturer selection to be precise. I'm going with RTX 2070 super.

Does it matter if i go with Galax or should I specifically choose from top manufacturers like Asus or MSI. There is a huge price difference between Galax's card and Asus's card (~11k inr).

Appreciate all the help.

The design of the card and the cooler are what matter.  Mostly the cooler.  AMD or NVIDIA will do a reference design, which is used initially, and then different manufacturers riff off it a bit later.  There aren’t gigantic differences board to board.  The cooler can matter a lot though, unless you’re doing watercooling at which point you want a reference board and the manufacturer matters not at all.  For video card bad board design is unlikely, and bad manufacturing is rare because they’re all built on machines.  What matters is cooler reviews.  Galax is just as likely to think up a superior cooler design as anyone else.  They may not have though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, ishanc said:

Hi all,

Appreciate all the help.

It does matter, different brands have different coolers, when there is a difference in price it is typically due to cooler quality. A worse cooler could mean worse performance, also different manufactures use different parts that can effect performance. I'm not as familiar with nvidia, but in amd gpus different manufactures can use different vram. With that in mind top manufactures do have better rma policies as stated above. 

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

Depending on the design, it matters. Performance wise for the same model only slight.

But the most important is after sales service.

You have to know which brand have the best after sales in your area.

Asus is an old player, it should have a good reputation.

On the other hand Galax is newer, i've seen new brands that lasted only 2-3 years.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Depending on the design, it matters. Performance wise for the same model only slight.

On the other hand Galax is newer, i've seen new brands that lasted only 2-3 years.

Galax is older than that though I think.  From their brag site.  Don’t know how true it is

http://www.galax.com/en/about-us

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

36 minutes ago, Benx said:

It does matter, different brands have different coolers, when there is a difference in price it is typically due to cooler quality. A worse cooler could mean worse performance, also different manufactures use different parts that can effect performance. I'm not as familiar with nvidia, but in amd gpus different manufactures can use different vram. With that in mind top manufactures do have better rma policies as stated above. 

the one i'm considering is a this one: 

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/20-series/geforcer-rtx-super-series/geforcer-rtx-2070-super-series/galax-geforce-rtx-2070-super-ex-gamer-black.html

it is called a gamer GALAX GeForce® RTX 2070 Super EX Gamer Black Edition. it comes with 3 90mm fans.

And the after sales service is also good, at-least in Mumbai. 

This all looks great on paper, and this card is highly recommended by some of the major Indian gaming channels.

Is there a site where i can compare all the 2070 supers available, compare them by manufacturers and then make a decision?

43 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Galax does offer good after sales service. At-least in Mumbai, which is where i live.

Also, galax will cost me 41k inr while asus will cost me 55k. 

My purpose of this build is primarily not gaming, it is for Deep learning and very light gaming.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

ASRock taichi x570

RTX 2070 Super

32 gb(16x2) crucial vengeance lpx 3600 

1 tb Crucial P1M

1 tb Crucial MX 500

1 tb Seagate Barracuda

Stock cooler (or an AIO if budget permits)

Case (TBD)