All apps keep crashing even after factory reset??

GetacFanboy

I currently own a Getac Z710. Ever since I got it, I've experienced frequent app crashes. I can't seem to find a single app that doesn't crash. Google play crashes, youtube crashes, chrome crashes, opera mini crashes, google crashes, the internal fucking gallary crashes, etc.

I've tried everything I can think of. Clearing the cache and data of all apps, factory resetting the device, etc.

In fact, I thought that maybe it's just too old of a device to handle running up to date apps, so I factory reset it and didn't connect it to the internet hoping it wouldn't experience app crashes, but all of the internal apps still crashed as I setup the device offline.

Below is a link to an unlisted youtube video showing what the app crashes look like. There's no error message what so ever. They all just crash shortly after I open them (except for spotify which just runs extremely slowly on my device for some reason) :

Video demonstration

What can I do? How do I solve this issue? 

Device information:

Getac Z710

Android 4.1.1

Baseband version: REVISION 03.001

Kernel version:

3.0.31-00039-g736f4d4

z710sys@cruiser #1

SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 7 14:50:25 CST 2015

Build number:

JR003L

Image version:

G3.001.42.MU3

RAM size:

1024 MB

I think the issue is that you are running Android 4. Most apps nowadays don't even support 8.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, FakeCIA said:

I think the issue is that you are running Android 4. Most apps nowadays don't even support 8.

How do I upgrade my version of android? 

2 hours ago, GetacFanboy said:

How do I upgrade my version of android? 

In settings, there will be an option to update. If not, your device is no longer supported for security and app functionality, this is probably true given the age of the device. I recommend getting a new tablet or Chromebook or a Surface Go. In my personal opinion, I'm surprised you haven't lost all your stuff due to lack of updated security and ransomware protection. I also recommend going through your security settings on your Google account. As a side note, you should be running Android 10 for the latest security and support. You should also be running an antivirus software of some kind like Bitdefender or Malwarebytes. I use both at the same time due to the nature of what I do and what I'm associated with. I also design my own software, but that is not publicly available, yet.

Edited by FakeCIA
Added Comments

15 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

In settings, there will be an option to update. If not, your device is no longer supported for security and app functionality, this is probably true given the age of the device. I recommend getting a new tablet or Chromebook or a Surface Go. In my personal opinion, I'm surprised you haven't lost all your stuff due to lack of updated security and ransomware protection. I also recommend going through your security settings on your Google account. As a side note, you should be running Android 10 for the latest security and support. You should also be running an antivirus software of some kind like Bitdefender or Malwarebytes. I use both at the same time due to the nature of what I do and what I'm associated with. I also design my own software, but that is not publicly available, yet.

It appears my tablet is no longer supported for security and app functionality.

Is it possible to manually install a newer version of android? Could I load a new OS on a flash drive and install it on the tablet via the USB port? 

1 hour ago, GetacFanboy said:

It appears my tablet is no longer supported for security and app functionality.

Is it possible to manually install a newer version of android? Could I load a new OS on a flash drive and install it on the tablet via the USB port? 

You could potentially do that if you wanted to, but the hardware would lack the security and functionality to support newer apps. For example, I use a Dell Precision M6800 as my main device, but it is from 2013. In order to make it function with certain programs like Windows 10 Pro and Malwarebytes without error, I had to replace the Nvidia Quadro, CPU, and several other components with newer parts. I just recently replaced the display and increased the RAM. I would recommend looking into a new device. You have several options. I could compile a list of new products for you if you want? Just give a budget and a use case.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, FakeCIA said:

You could potentially do that if you wanted to, but the hardware would lack the security and functionality to support newer apps. For example, I use a Dell Precision M6800 as my main device, but it is from 2013. In order to make it function with certain programs like Windows 10 Pro and Malwarebytes without error, I had to replace the Nvidia Quadro, CPU, and several other components with newer parts. I just recently replaced the display and increased the RAM. I would recommend looking into a new device. You have several options. I could compile a list of new products for you if you want? Just give a budget and a use case.

I would rather not replace it, I just want to get the most life out of this as possible. 

If I wanted to put a different OS on it to get more life out of it, what OS should I put on it, and how do I install it? 

I would rather not replace it, I just want to get the most life out of this as possible. 

If I wanted to put a different OS on it to get more life out of it, what OS should I put on it, and how do I install it? 

Well, as mentioned before, I highly recommend getting a new device due to hardware vulnerabilities. However, as I can't force you to do anything and can only offer advice, I recommend a distro of Linux like Mint or Tiny Core. There is an entire thread here about each distro down in the operating systems section of this forum. Everything you need to know about each one is down there and you can ask for more help there. There is a tutorial section too. I still highly recommend a new device like a Samsung Galaxy Tab, a Surface Go or Pro, or a Dell XPS due to their integrated security chips and guaranteed software updates.

45 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Well, as mentioned before, I highly recommend getting a new device due to hardware vulnerabilities. However, as I can't force you to do anything and can only offer advice, I recommend a distro of Linux like Mint or Tiny Core. There is an entire thread here about each distro down in the operating systems section of this forum. Everything you need to know about each one is down there and you can ask for more help there. There is a tutorial section too. I still highly recommend a new device like a Samsung Galaxy Tab, a Surface Go or Pro, or a Dell XPS due to their integrated security chips and guaranteed software updates.

I'm also using this tablet for my works application, and my work requires me to only have devices with the ATEX Zone II/22 certification, and the Getac is the only brand that offers a tablet rugged enough for me to use at work while also offering this certification. That's why I'm so against getting another device and am looking for a way to bring more life into this device. 

Are those Linux Distros you mentioned compatible with my hardware in its current state? 

I'm also using this tablet for my works application, and my work requires me to only have devices with the ATEX Zone II/22 certification, and the Getac is the only brand that offers a tablet rugged enough for me to use at work while also offering this certification. That's why I'm so against getting another device and am looking for a way to bring more life into this device. 

Are those Linux Distros you mentioned compatible with my hardware in its current state? 

I looked on the Getac company site. There are newer versions that still comply with those requirements and then some, including radiation and extreme heat. Dell and CAT also have rugged tablets that comply with those standards. Sometimes, local law enforcement agencies will also auction devices like these off. Linux is the umbrella program to describe dozens of individual programs. It depends on which one you want to run. I personally enjoy running Mint and SailfishOS, but whichever one you choose is based on your use case. I do a lot in gaming, privacy regulation, and I'm associated with federal law enforcement, so I use distros that are fully supported with regular updates and provide a high amount of customization and security.

4 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

I looked on the Getac company site. There are newer versions that still comply with those requirements and then some, including radiation and extreme heat. Dell and CAT also have rugged tablets that comply with those standards. Sometimes, local law enforcement agencies will also auction devices like these off. Linux is the umbrella program to describe dozens of individual programs. It depends on which one you want to run. I personally enjoy running Mint and SailfishOS, but whichever one you choose is based on your use case. I do a lot in gaming, privacy regulation, and I'm associated with federal law enforcement, so I use distros that are fully supported with regular updates and provide a high amount of customization and security.

I'm pretty loyal to Getac compared to other rugged manufacturers like Dell, Panasonic, and CAT just based on past experiences. If I get a newer one, it would be a Getac just because of that. I actually looked for a newer tablet before I bought this one, and the only one I found that ran android stock was the Getac ZX70. The rest of their tablets ran a version of Windows.

Since I already spent the money on this tablet, I would like to at least see if I can get more life out of it before I look into buying a new one. If I find out I'm completely screwed, I'm fine with looking into maybe upgrading to a ZX70, but I spent quite a pretty penny on this tablet, and I want to get some use out of it.

Since it's evident I can't run android on this tablet anymore (correct me if I'm wrong), where can I find out what other operating systems are compatible with my tablet? It is my understanding that different processors and architectures are only compatible with certain operating systems. I thought that Linux typically only ran on X86 processors. How do I know which versions of linux will run on my tablet? 

-snip-

I wouldn't be able to choose a Linux distro for you without being able to check out the programs you're running, you're overall use case, and how much memory each takes up. That would ultimately fall to your personal decision of what you think runs best. Personally, I think the best course of action is upgrading to a Dell rugged tablet. There is one I'm looking at right now on their site that runs Android 9 with an update to 10 coming soon, has 16GB's of RAM, and 1TB of storage at the highest config for business. Based on the specs you provided first, you are running a very small amount of memory on a device that does not have hardware backed encryption protocols. In my professional opinion, I think you are screwed and opening yourself up to a ransomware, adware, and malware attack by keeping this device. I highly recommend, as someone who has dealt with ransomware personally and professionally, you upgrade. It will be far more trouble if you keep this device. I don't care if you are loyal to Getac. You are buying the same thing no matter who you go to. Switching out the OS is a short-term solution that I do not recommend from a personal standpoint. Look at Dell's website at their rugged tablets. They have some pretty good ones on their business site.