Ethernet over Coaxial?

DaedalusOS

Greetings!

I recently moved and I have my internet through Xfinity. The modem is sitting in the living room and the Xbox and 4K TV are wired up via Ethernet directly into the modem. My PC however is in my room, on the opposite side of the apartment, and connected via WiFi, which as you could imagine is spotty and really not great. The internet coming in is over Coaxial into the back of the modem, and typically we get around 250 Mbps. However in my room, I'm getting 6...

Is there any way that I could use the existing Coaxial hookups in the apartment to somehow extend a hardwire into my bedroom? I'd really rather not run an Ethernet cable all the way from the living room into my bedroom...

Thanks!

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

It's not that hard to run new wires and install a new outlet; at least not for a professional. They just run up, over and down.

You could try something like a Powerline solution. You can get MoCA adapters, however they're far from cheap.

Have you looked into just getting a better wireless router/adapter? It might be a cheaper way to go.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

As Dizmo suggests, I'd recommend you try a decent-quality powerline kit.

Sig under construction.

30 minutes ago, DaedalusOS said:

Greetings!

I recently moved and I have my internet through Xfinity. The modem is sitting in the living room and the Xbox and 4K TV are wired up via Ethernet directly into the modem. My PC however is in my room, on the opposite side of the apartment, and connected via WiFi, which as you could imagine is spotty and really not great. The internet coming in is over Coaxial into the back of the modem, and typically we get around 250 Mbps. However in my room, I'm getting 6...

Is there any way that I could use the existing Coaxial hookups in the apartment to somehow extend a hardwire into my bedroom? I'd really rather not run an Ethernet cable all the way from the living room into my bedroom...

Thanks!

Couple of issues here. Firstly because you get internet from Coax, a Moca filter needs to be placed on to the main line coming in to your apartment. That might not be easy. It all depends on how its all hooked up. Without knowing where you main line for your apratment is located, it would not be advisable to do this. Mainly because the moca filter A) Prevents your moca signal from going out on Comcast's network and B) Reflects the moca signal back in to your network giving you a better connection. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It might be easier to get an Ethernet over power line system. 

https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/powerline/PLP2000.aspx

I know that's an Aussie site but there is a US version, so you'll just have to look for its variant in your region.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.