Motherboard choice: Asus TUF B450 Pro Gaming or MSI B450 Tomahawk Max?

I decided to upgrade my i5 6600 to a Ryzen 7 3700X, I'm more of an Asus fan so my first choice was the Asus TUF B450 Pro Gaming (I thought of getting the Strix one but it had a lot of negative reviews) but the MSI B450 Tomahawk is getting a lot of great reviews and recommendations. The MSI Tomahawk I assume all have an updated bios for the 3rd gen, but does the Asus TUF B450 also have a 3rd gen ready bios? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

The tomahawk would be the better choice.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The MSI board has better VRM (the dc-dc converter which powers the cpu), and better heatsink on the VRM, so there's higher overclocking potential and should be overall a bit cooler.

The MSI board also supports bios flashback, which allows you to update the bios without cpu installed in the socket. The MAX models have a bigger size bios and they come from the factory with Ryzen 3rd gen. support.

The Asus motherboard has no bios flashback feature, so if the motherboard is too old, you'd have to find a Ryzen 1st or 2nd gen processor to use just for the bios update.

if you are a fan of asus get te x570 tuf. it's a very good board. otherwise, as others said, go for the b450 tomahawk max or a-pro max or gaming plus max

I bought the Asus TUF B450 Pro Gaming mATX board a couple of weeks back to pair with a 3900X. I chose this board as it was decent and there weren't many mATX options that had reasonable shipping time. I have had no issues with overclocking the RAM and CPU, which considering the price point of this board is actually great. The only downer is that the BIOS didn't come pre-updated to a version which supported 3rd gen Ryzen. If you decide to go with that board, better contact the seller in advance and ask them to updated for you. If you had friends that have 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen, like I have, ask them to borrow the CPU so that you can update the BIOS on your own. 

The B450 Tomahawk Max has a BIOS flashback option which will make things easier. I personally don't like the look of it though, but that's just me. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

6 hours ago, Analog said:

I bought the Asus TUF B450 Pro Gaming mATX board a couple of weeks back to pair with a 3900X. I chose this board as it was decent and there weren't many mATX options that had reasonable shipping time. I have had no issues with overclocking the RAM and CPU, which considering the price point of this board is actually great. The only downer is that the BIOS didn't come pre-updated to a version which supported 3rd gen Ryzen. If you decide to go with that board, better contact the seller in advance and ask them to updated for you. If you had friends that have 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen, like I have, ask them to borrow the CPU so that you can update the BIOS on your own. 

The B450 Tomahawk Max has a BIOS flashback option which will make things easier. I personally don't like the look of it though, but that's just me. 

Taking a closer look at the TUF B450 Pro Gaming it does seem like a great board for the money and I've heard it's quality is just as good. Though I might instead go with a 2700X, I planned on going for the 3700X but the price difference is much higher than the performance difference (the 3700X is over 40% more expensive for some 10-20% performance, aside from the lower power requirements) but in that case I'll get the 3700X once it's price drops so updating the BIOS won't be a problem for the TUF. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl