Possible router bottlenecking?

FizzLyfe

Hello guys!

I am about to switch my ISP to a new one, my new theoretical internet speed will be 1Gbps, however - the wifi router I am using is rated for 300Mbps, my question is:
Will this affect the internet speed that's going back into my PC (via ethernet)?
The router is a: TP-Link WR841N

I know that the Wi-Fi speed itself is going to be maxed at 300. I was trying to find answers on google, but most people just talk about the wifi speed itself, that's not what I am interested in, I would like to know if entering the router itself causes any bottlenecks, in which case - I will hook up the ethernet to my PC directly, for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

You're going to need a new Router. Looking up the TP-Link WR841N all the LAN ports + WAN port are 10/100. You need 10/100/1000.

It depends on what is your Ethernet adapter, does it support gigabit?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

It depends on what is your Ethernet adapter, does it support gigabit?

My PC does, the router does not, as the person above just said - I looked it up, it is 10/100 on all ports

I totally forgot that the specs sheet shows that

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You're going to need a new Router. Looking up the TP-Link WR841N all the LAN ports + WAN port are 10/100. You need 10/100/1000.

Yup, I don't know how I could forget the specs sheet, now I feel dumb

But then how/or why are they advertising it as a 300mbps? Am I missing something here?

23 minutes ago, FizzLyfe said:

in which case - I will hook up the ethernet to my PC directly, for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

how do you plan on achieving this if i may ask ? 

Just now, Norwegiantweaker said:

how do you plan on achieving this if i may ask ? 

The modem that the ISP supplies supports Gigabit, so I can simply use it as is - going straight into my PC, no router inbetween - it just means I won't have wifi until I get a new router, I'd rather not bottleneck my speeds that much, until then.

(Hope that makes sense)

22 minutes ago, FizzLyfe said:

Yup, I don't know how I could forget the specs sheet, now I feel dumb

But then how/or why are they advertising it as a 300mbps? Am I missing something here?

In theory you could connect two wireless clients and transfer files directly between the two at up to 300Mbit. Most people don't need to do that though so I'd leave it up to BS advertising just like the Powerline adapters that boast up to 500Mbit but use a 10/100 Ethernet Controller.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

In theory you could connect two wireless clients and transfer files directly between the two at up to 300Mbit. Most people don't need to do that though so I'd leave it up to BS advertising just like the Powerline adapters that boast up to 500Mbit but use a 10/100 Ethernet Controller.

Oh, I see

Well, I learned something new today

Thank you

To further confuse things, routers are rarely advertised for what NAT routing speed they can do.

That TP-Link for example can only handle around 90Mbit and that's probably only doing plain ethernet to ethernet, it would be even lower if you connect over PPP.  To make matters worse, its unlikely to hit 300Mbit over WiFi to WiFi either, as its maximum speed will likely be similar to its NAT speed as you're limited by how quickly the CPU can shuffle traffic.

For example a router that can do 400Mbit NAT speed, if you actually pull 400Mbit down over an ethernet port, it will have zero CPU left for the WiFi.  So if one of your WiFi clients tried to then download from a wired client on your network, your broadband speed would actually be reduced.

Router advertising is notoriously bad.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 2/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, FizzLyfe said:

Hello guys!

I am about to switch my ISP to a new one, my new theoretical internet speed will be 1Gbps, however - the wifi router I am using is rated for 300Mbps, my question is:
Will this affect the internet speed that's going back into my PC (via ethernet)?
The router is a: TP-Link WR841N

I know that the Wi-Fi speed itself is going to be maxed at 300. I was trying to find answers on google, but most people just talk about the wifi speed itself, that's not what I am interested in, I would like to know if entering the router itself causes any bottlenecks, in which case - I will hook up the ethernet to my PC directly, for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

Check out specs and reviews over at Smallnetbuilder.com because your going to need to the LAN to WAN throughput and the WAN to LAN Throughput. That will tell you if the routers in question can do 1 Gbps NAT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Check out specs and reviews over at Smallnetbuilder.com because your going to need to the LAN to WAN throughput and the WAN to LAN Throughput. That will tell you if the routers in question can do 1 Gbps NAT. 

Its unfortunate they test so few routers and AFAIK only test plain ethernet which doesn't account for any extra load from PPP often used on FTTP.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 2/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

To further confuse things, routers are rarely advertised for what NAT routing speed they can do.

That TP-Link for example can only handle around 90Mbit and that's probably only doing plain ethernet to ethernet, it would be even lower if you connect over PPP.  To make matters worse, its unlikely to hit 300Mbit over WiFi to WiFi either, as its maximum speed will likely be similar to its NAT speed as you're limited by how quickly the CPU can shuffle traffic.

For example a router that can do 400Mbit NAT speed, if you actually pull 400Mbit down over an ethernet port, it will have zero CPU left for the WiFi.  So if one of your WiFi clients tried to then download from a wired client on your network, your broadband speed would actually be reduced.

Router advertising is notoriously bad.

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation

It's unlikely that I will ever need the max output of the Wi-Fi, but still this is good to know, again this is news for me ?

I'll definitely do some research about this topic - I do have one question though, although I may have misunderstood something - you said that CPU processing is limited (obviously) but does this mean that if I were to disable the Wi-Fi part of the router via a physical or software button/option, I get some "extra" processing that will be free-to use for the 'wired' part?

That would also explain why such an option exists in the first place

6 hours ago, FizzLyfe said:

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation

It's unlikely that I will ever need the max output of the Wi-Fi, but still this is good to know, again this is news for me ?

I'll definitely do some research about this topic - I do have one question though, although I may have misunderstood something - you said that CPU processing is limited (obviously) but does this mean that if I were to disable the Wi-Fi part of the router via a physical or software button/option, I get some "extra" processing that will be free-to use for the 'wired' part?

That would also explain why such an option exists in the first place

Having WiFi turned on but not doing anything wont have any noticeable impact on the CPU, only during active data transfer and obviously relative to how fast you are pushing it.