Need help with upgrading from windows XP to 10

Johnathan92
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,

There is no upgrade path from XP to Win10 (unless you do XP > Vista > Win7 and then to Win10).

You'll have to do a fresh install of Win10.

Win10 can be downloaded and installed for free, no key is required. You can activate Win10 at any time after install, either through MS Store, or buying a key from authorised retailer (newegg, bestbuy, amazon etc) or using the greykey market places selling keys for fraction of the RRP (just google cheap Win10 keys or search this forum there are plenty of topics discussing this).

Hi all,  so I've finished my internship with a automation design company and they allowed me to keep the PC that I had to build to run their software. At the time when making it i had to install Windows XP which was the standard programme they used within that type of industry (apparently). Now that I have this computer I really want windows 10 on it and in time upgrading to a gaming PC. Is there any way I can still get windows 10 for free or has that ship sailed now ?  If it was up to me I'd have windows 10 on it from the get go however, they were paying my wages and funding the build so I didn't really have a say... 

Also apologises for the bad grammar and spelling, I'm dyslexic so I tend to make a lot of mistakes haha.  

You can use it without activating for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There is no upgrade path from XP to Win10 (unless you do XP > Vista > Win7 and then to Win10).

You'll have to do a fresh install of Win10.

Win10 can be downloaded and installed for free, no key is required. You can activate Win10 at any time after install, either through MS Store, or buying a key from authorised retailer (newegg, bestbuy, amazon etc) or using the greykey market places selling keys for fraction of the RRP (just google cheap Win10 keys or search this forum there are plenty of topics discussing this).

-> Moved to Windows

As said, WinXP key doesn't have any upgrade priviledges. You need new Win10 key. Using OS without activating is considered piracy. Buying cheap OEM key is even worse, in a way. So if you want cheap out, I suggest going for Linux instead.

You also can't upgrade it directly from XP. The path would require going through Vista and 7 first. So best option is to just install fesh OS with USB stick or DVD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You need new Win10 key. Using OS without activating is considered piracy.

Microsoft could literally stop people from doing it years ago but they haven't.

It's not really piracy, it's more like using a trial version.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Someone confusing prevention and piracy. If you stole something from shop, there is not important that nobody catches you. It's still illegal.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, Enderman said:

No, it is more for them to be able to go after businesses who uses the OS without a license.

Now I know you'll point me to Linus or other YouTubers, or companies that has the "activate Windows" watermark and how MS isn't going after them... In these cases, they all have valid licenses, they just didn't activate the OS or it got deactivated, but the license was purchased. For Linus cases, and other tech YouTubers, it is deactivation due to constant hardware changes  (the system you don't see much on camera, like editor system are activated), but they have their license filed and ready to prove if there is an audit that takes place. For companies, especially in the manufacturing world, this happens because the system are not connected online, so the activate check, which occurs every set number of days, can't be performed, and so it deactivates, but they have valid licenses (most likely have a volume licenses subscription with MS, if they have hundred of systems)

On 2/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Enderman said:

Using trial forever makes it piracy. Just like borrowing something without permission.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No, it is more for them to be able to go after businesses who uses the OS without a license.

Now I know you'll point me to Linus or other YouTubers, or companies that has the "activate Windows" watermark and how MS isn't going after them... In these cases, they all have valid licenses, they just didn't activate the OS or it got deactivated, but the license was purchased. For Linus cases, and other tech YouTubers, it is deactivation due to constant hardware changes  (the system you don't see much on camera, like editor system are activated), but they have their license filed and ready to prove if there is an audit that takes place. For companies, especially in the manufacturing world, this happens because the system are not connected online, so the activate check, which occurs every set number of days, can't be performed, and so it deactivates, but they have valid licenses (most likely have a volume licenses subscription with MS, if they have hundred of systems)

He is using it for his personal PC, not a business.

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Using trial forever makes it piracy. Just like borrowing something without permission.

No, that depends on the trial.

Something like Adobe has a limited trial period and it stops working after 30 days.

Other programs like Bandicam or FLstudio or whatever have restricted features like watermarks, no saving, etc. with no limit to the trial period.

Windows is one of the later.

It has limited features and a watermark but no time restriction.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

He is using it for his personal PC, not a business.

No, that depends on the trial.

Something like Adobe has a limited trial period and it stops working after 30 days.

Other programs like Bandicam or FLstudio or whatever have restricted features like watermarks, no saving, etc. with no limit to the trial period.

Windows is one of the later.

It has limited features and a watermark but no time restriction.

I would like to instruct you to read EULA for Windows, but I think thats pointless since you have bad morals to begin with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I would like to instruct you to read EULA for Windows, but I think thats pointless since you have bad morals to begin with.

YOU should try reading it, I bet there's at least half a dozen rules there you're breaking and you don't even know it.

Like running virtual machines, using MS word for work, etc etc etc.

If they actually cared about people activating windows they would have ended the free upgrade period 4 years ago like they said they would.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

YOU should try reading it, I bet there's at least half a dozen rules there you're breaking and you don't even know it.

Like running virtual machines, using MS word for work, etc etc etc.

If they actually cared about people paying for windows they would have ended the free upgrade period 4 years ago like they said they would.

Them caring about upgrades is very far from people using unactivated copy. As in one case the key is already paid once. Apples and origins, you know.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Them caring about upgrades is very far from people using unactivated copy. As in one case the key is already paid once. Apples and origins, you know.

There's thousands of things MS could do to stop people using it unactivated.

They opted to just lock some settings and put a watermark and offer the download for free.

If you on your moral high horse want to follow the EULA word by word by all means go ahead.

Maybe you also pay for winrar, idc.

Point is, MS doesn't care unless youre a large business or you're profiting by illegally selling copies.

The EULA is just a legal thing to give them rights during a lawsuit, just like with all the terms and conditions of every piece of software you use.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Point is, MS doesn't care unless youre a large business or you're profiting by illegally selling copies.

The EULA is just a legal thing to give them rights during a lawsuit, just like with all the terms and conditions of every piece of software you use.

Point, if you want to put it that way, is that it really doesn't matter if someone goes after you or not. Legally speaking you are still stealing software if you are using it without paying for license. So recommending people to run Windows as daily OS without paying equals recommending piracy. You can try and make up excuses about MS not caring etc bullshit all day long. Doesn't make you right about it.

I'm saying this only as I will give all options with disclaimers. You should do same, but I guess you just don't care to be honest person.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

35 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Point, if you want to put it that way, is that it really doesn't matter if someone goes after you or not. Legally speaking you are still stealing software if you are using it without paying for license. So recommending people to run Windows as daily OS without paying equals recommending piracy. You can try and make up excuses about MS not caring etc bullshit all day long. Doesn't make you right about it.

I'm saying this only as I will give all options with disclaimers. You should do same, but I guess you just don't care to be honest person.

Never recommended it, just stated the facts, you can use it for free.

I personally own my license.

And yes I am right about it because MS owns the software, they're the ones who decide what can or can't be done.

This isn't some backdoor workaround or crack, this is literally what they give you for free from their website and let you use (with certain restrictions).

Nice try with the personal attacks tho, 10/10 ad hominem.

Spoiler

I read about some shop that makes experiment and stop hiring security guys and removes security cameras. They inform everyone that nobody watches but they hope people will not steal. Interesting fact was that after short period of time number of stealing goods decreases.

Is that means you can go to that shop, take everything you want and don't pay for it since you know that there is no punishment for stealing in that place? And is your excuse "if they want people to pay, they should control everyone"? Is stealing legal in that shop? Of course not.

But personally I think some people like Enderman ("clean install for every problem" guy) will always pretend to know something better. It's really easy to check who has right - Microsoft has free phone line you can call and ask is allowed to use unregistered version and is it true that Windows is free. But of course someone knows better and don't want to check facts.