Google Fiber speeds may be increased to 10gbps

TopWargamer

Now if they would focus on expanding the states that they hosted it in that would be GREAT.

Also...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/fastest-ever-commercial-internet-speeds-in-london-download-44-films-in-a-second-9077061.html

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

Imagine a single person maxing out a datacenter server's upload speed. Holy crap.

They should have thought of that when designing their data center :P

More power to us!

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

moving to japan or america with dudewazap :D ..just realized he already lives in the US OF A nevermind japan it is :D

I'll join you. Planning a motorbike tour of Japan once I get my A2 license and CBR500R

Let's do math! 

10 Gb/s is 1,250 MB/s or 1.25 GB/s. Assuming you have the storage space to handle that, of course (like Linus' 8 RAID 0 SSD config).

The "normal" internet is ~19 TB, but let's put it to 20TB for extra. 

It would take you 16,000 seconds, or 266.66... minutes, or 4.44.... hours to download the internet.

Less than 5 hours .... to download.... The Internet

The Internet.

Note that this obviously doesn't count media such as Youtube videos, or databases or anything. This is just the webpages that makeup the normal internet.

giphy.gif

The size of the net is far larger than 20 TB. Try couple hundred exabytes - if even that little. Probably closer to a Zetabyte now.

Note that this obviously doesn't count media such as Youtube videos, or databases or anything. This is just the webpages that makeup the normal internet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Mother of God Why.. taking_off_sunglasses.gif wtf-anime-eye-nipple.gif

At that point, aren't you limited more by the upload speed of the server you're connecting to rather than your ISP artificially limiting your download speeds?

Anywhoo, if everything works out alright, hopefully this will push ISPs to catch up to Alexander Graham Bell and Charles Tainter who built a (precursor to) fiber optic communications in the 1880s.... Wooohoo American ISPs!!

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Google makes a ton of money. Why can't they just get on with expanding it to the whole country? I WANT IT SO BAD. Right now I'm lucky to see over around 25MPBs in Speedtest.net

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

At that point, aren't you limited more by the upload speed of the server you're connecting to rather than your ISP artificially limiting your download speeds?

Anywhoo, if everything works out alright, hopefully this will push ISPs to catch up to Alexander Graham Bell and Charles Tainter who built a (precursor to) fiber optic communications in the 1880s.... Wooohoo American ISPs!!

That and another limiting factor could be storage.

At max speeds, I don't think the current generation ssds can even keep up.

Mother of God Why.. taking_off_sunglasses.gif wtf-anime-eye-nipple.gif

Soz just realized i kept spamming that like button what anime is this? i wish i had glasses that make me look like that ;3

@ depends me and dudewazap agreed to either do it next year or the one after but nothing has been put down permanently so yeah...might discuss with him & you in a pm group chat

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Come to romania everywhere fiber 1Gbps for 15 euro a month no Gb router included and upload only 30mb/s(in world wide web but 100mbps in the network) but those download speeds tough :o

Only reason i dont have it yet is cause i dont need it lol,tough things might change fast if 4K IPS monitors become mainstream,and TV shows/Anime series/movies go 4K too i will need it :P

Edited by deviant88

Soz just realized i kept spamming that like button what anime is this? i wish i had glasses that make me look like that ;3

@ depends me and dudewazap agreed to either do it next year or the one after but nothing has been put down permanently so yeah...might discuss with him & you in a pm group chat

It's Joshiraku

Uh what the heck? What kind of computer has built in 10Gb Lan? Would need a 3rd party card for that. Also, at that point the hard drive would be the bottleneck as well, so maybe this will be better suited for commercial purposes because for consumers 10Gbps doesn't make much sense based on the 2 points i mentioned.

Praise Duarte!

Uh what the heck? What kind of computer has built in 10Gb Lan? Would need a 3rd party card for that. Also, at that point the hard drive would be the bottleneck as well, so maybe this will be better suited for commercial purposes because for consumers 10Gbps doesn't make much sense based on the 2 points i mentioned.

Hey now. Don't give Time Warner real reasons why this isn't necessary. When SSD's become the replacement hard drives and games like CoD Ghosts with 50GBs of unecessary data becomes more common, it'll be awesome!

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

The only problems I have with this is the market currently only has it available to certain cities. Google needs to make the service more available to major cities (Seattle WA, New York NY, Portland OR, Atlanta,GA)

Also the other problem is how are the consumers going to afford the equipment to be able to handle the speeds?  

Hey now. Don't give Time Warner real reasons why this isn't necessary. When SSD's become the replacement hard drives and games like CoD Ghosts with 50GBs of unecessary data becomes more common, it'll be awesome!

This^

Also, one thing people need to realize is that when one part of technology grows quickly (i.e. from our terri-bad internet to this awesome internet), everything else is pushed to catch up (i.e. storage speeds). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

this Internet would be faster then the write speed on a SSD; when your Internet speed is determined by your storage speed you have gone too far.

Pff BT managed to get 1.4TB speed out of existing fibre infrastructure. So thats FTTC technology which is Fibre to the box then copper cabling to the house.

I'd say Google is holding back because they use fibre to the house (FTTH) technology. They could get WELL over 10gbps if they wanted.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

And yet my state still doesn't have Google Fiber..

My state does.... but it's on the other side. D:

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

1. Some places have more than 1 person living in.

2. Each person owns more than 2 device that used internet connection.

3. 4K contents are up ahead. And it will hog up all the bandwidth.

You dont necessarily need to have 10gbps lan card in order to get benefits from having 10gbps internet service.