CS:GO - Average 270fps on FPS Benchmark w/ 6700k, 16GB and 2070 SUPER.

B00steed

Okay so, I've been trying to fix this for the last 3 hours, but for some reason, my PC won't go over 270 FPS in the FPS Benchmark map.

I see friends with similar specs (newer CPU but worse GPUs, mine is pretty new) getting an average of 500-600. I tried a couple of things other than reformatting (cuz I don't feel like backing up at 1am), I resetted the BIOS, reinstalled GPU drivers, disabled and then enabled a bunch of stuff, NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP.

The only thing that caused a small improvement was to disable CPU core #0, but it helped only by 15-20 FPS. These are small number considering I should average around much higher.

Please, if you had any issue similar to this, or can help me troubleshoot it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Below are my PC Specs and video settings:

Gigabyte Z170-HD3P

i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHz + Noctua D15S

HyperX Fury 8GBx2 DDR4

WD Blue 2TB

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce OC

Corsair CX750M

Video Settings:

Resolution - 1280x960 (stretched)

Global Shadow Quality - High

Model / Texture Detail - Low

Effect Detail - Low

Shader Detail - Low

Multicore Rendering - Enabled

Multisampling Anti-Aliasing Mode - 4x MSAA

FXAA Anti-Aliasing - Disabled

Texture Filtering Mode - Anisotropic 4X

Wait for Vertical Sync - Disabled

Motion Blur - Disabled

CS:GO is more CPU dependant rather than GPU, so if they have better CPUs it makes sense that they would have better framerates. But to be fair, do you really need more than 300FPS?

Also, make sure you've got fps_max 0 set (obviously)

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Unless you have a 360hz monitor , i 5hink you dont need that lol

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

I agree with Mateyyy. Your CPU seems to be "holding you back". (if you can call it that at 270 fps)

Also make sure to ignore the ..."experts"... who tell you that you don't need high fps in CS:GO. (or in any other game for that matter)

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

2 minutes ago, rares495 said:

I agree with Mateyyy. Your CPU seems to be "holding you back". (if you can call it that at 270 fps)

Also make sure to ignore the ..."experts"... who tell you that you don't need high fps in CS:GO. (or in any other game for that matter)

yeah but you need a high refresh rate monitor also....

4 minutes ago, Danioki said:

yeah but you need a high refresh rate monitor also....

It doesn't matter whether you have a high refresh rate monitor or not. Higher fps will always result in a smoother image and lower input lag.

60hz 60fps is much worse than 60hz 300 fps. I'm talking about what is felt/perceived. CS:GO is best played at 350+ fps regardless of what monitor you own.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

CS:GO is more CPU dependant rather than GPU, so if they have better CPUs it makes sense that they would have better framerates. But to be fair, do you really need more than 300FPS?

Also, make sure you've got fps_max 0 set (obviously)

The fact that my average is 270 means I get drops down to 160 and sometimes lower (that shouldn’t occur at all) and in competitive gameplay, like CS:GO, this is very noticeable and makes a significant difference. 

I wouldn’t go through the trouble of opening a thread and writing all of this if I didn’t think it actually hurts my gameplay experience.

6 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Yeah, I’m aware. CS:GO is a bit different in comparison to other games. 

2 minutes ago, rares495 said:

It doesn't matter whether you have a high refresh monitor or not. Higher fps will always result in a smoother image and lower input lag.

60hz 60fps is much worse than 60hz 300 fps. I'm talking about what is felt/perceived. CS:GO is best played at 350+ fps regardless of what monitor you own.

yeah i got you, but the smoothness one is true only by like refresh rate x 2, after that you might get better input lag but not much noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Danioki said:

yeah i got you, but the smoothness one is true only by like refresh rate x 2, after that you might get better input lag but not much noticeable.

That would be the case for other games but for CS:GO every frame counts. Lower input lag is obviously what one should want when playing a competitive game such as CS. Squeezing every last drop of performance is key, obviously.

4 minutes ago, rares495 said:

That would be the case for other games but for CS:GO every frame counts. Lower input lag is obviously what one should want when playing a competitive game such as CS. Squeezing every last drop of performance is key, obviously.

yeah that's why in the old days they played quake and the likes in the minimum resolution like 320x240, 640x480 was too much.

5 minutes ago, Danioki said:

yeah that's why in the old days they played quake and the likes in the minimum resolution like 320x240, 640x480 was too much.

Well Quake doesn't require that much skill unlike CS. I guess they didn't care.

4 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Well Quake doesn't require that much skill unlike CS. I guess they didn't care.

i will say that quake required more skill than CS, it's all skill and reflexes.

even some quake's friends didn't like other games like CS 1.6 an the likes because they were slow in comparison.

in the end they need different skills, but quake was more speed than anything else.

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

i will say that quake required more skill than CS, it's all skill and reflexes.

No, sorry. Quake doesn't even have recoil. There is no comparison between the two games. CS is the superior shooter, is much more complicated and has a much higher skill ceiling. There are many aspects to master whereas in Quake you just bounce around shooting magical no-recoil weapons.

9 hours ago, B00steed said:

The fact that my average is 270 means I get drops down to 160 and sometimes lower (that shouldn’t occur at all) and in competitive gameplay, like CS:GO, this is very noticeable and makes a significant difference. 

I mean, did you just start getting these framerates or were they always like this? Regarding the hardware again, my old overclocked i5-4670K managed an average of 208.5FPS (368 max) on the benchmark map, granted at 1440p but still, your result isn't that out of place, considering you've got hyperthreading and just slightly better or similar single-core performance. 

Try disabling any background junk processes, Windows' Game DVR, HPET, enable "Prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel, and try out some launch options like -high, -threads 8 and +cl_forcepreload 1

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you got this sorted but, for me running 1024x768 low settings on an rx5700 i have to mess around with my power limits and minimum clock rate, as it has some weird downclocking feature. I guess the gpu is under utilised and you need to either up the minimum clock or limit power, both options gave me a big boost in fps on the test map.

And above post, maybe the human eye cant tell the difference between various fps but it does affect input lag.

Also, you could use rivatuner statistic server to lock fps, there's debate about how well that works, but it does seem to keep frame rates rock solid. So no stuttering caused by fps drops.