Work Desktop 1000USD Budget

DK777

1. Budget & Location

Budget - $1000 USD with about $200 leeway. Location is USA.

2. Aim

Plan to upgrade existing prebuilt work system that girlfriend uses with new one. Computer will be used for lots of multitasking in several apps (i.e. Chrome, Adobe DC Pro, Excel, Word, Outlook, Dropbox, company specific apps, etc).

3. Monitors

Currently using 2 1080p monitors, plan to get a 3rd one down the line.

4. Peripherals

Will be using existing peripherals. OS will be needed, planning to get Windows 10 Home.

5. Why are you upgrading?

• Existing system for work is an All-in-One HP 24-G026 (i5-6200U, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HDD), 3.5 years old
    • Has a tough time handling what she uses it for, seems to bottleneck on CPU / RAM / HDD
  • Some of the issues that she runs into is:
    • Slow boot up
    • Can only have a few apps open at a time before freezing/not responding
  • Allowing her to have everything that she needs open at the same time is most important

Below is what I had planned so far, I am not 100% sure on the motherboard, power supply and case. Primarily focused on storage, memory and CPU.

We also found this on sale on Newegg that is prebuilt, it seems be similarly priced and spec as the above if the graphics card was not included. If the graphics card is needed to better support 3 1080p monitors, it didn't seem like too bad of a deal. 

https://www.newegg.com/dell-inspiron-5680/p/1VK-0001-537F4?Item=9SIAEYAAUP4883

• Intel Core i7-9700 
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • Upgraded 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • GTX 1660 Ti
  • HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI
  • Windows 10 Home

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at this post. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

This PC are complete overkill for usecase you've described, get R5 2400G (with iGPU) or R5 1600 AF (14nm refresh) + RX570\GTX1650 Super (or even smth like GT1030 if there would be absolutely no 3D gaming going on), 8GB RAM (no way you're using more than 8GB on this workstation), some cheap SATA SSD like Crucial MX500, for like twice less overall. This is gaming PC, not browsing\spreadsheet one. Your current PC sucks because it's basically a laptop in a formfactor of desktop (with slow mobile CPU and gimp cooling system) and even just adding SSD to it would improve things drastically. I also pretty sure that she doesn't need 1TB SSD, 250GB one would be more than enough (but 500GB cost like 10$ more so it'll do), add HDD for archive purposes if you want.

Smth like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Lexar NS200 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $498.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-04 04:12 EST-0500

Alternatively if you really set on spending 1k$, you can build very good 1080p gaming PC, and this is being generous, you could swap the CPU for non-X version, ditch aftermarket cooler, get GTX1660 Super instead and Corsair CX550 PSU for slightly lower performance level (in gaming, all this are irrelevant for spreadsheet workstation) but saving 200$.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Lexar NS200 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($303.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $994.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-04 04:22 EST-0500

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Please, get 250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD and 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD. I'm sure this's a big upgrade.

Not gonna comment on other parts. Would have go with Ryzen if I were you though. 

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Massive difference to what I thought was needed lol. Suggestions are a significant improvement to what she has now!

@Juular and @boggy77 Might do a combination of your builds + 1 TB HDD, forgot to mention that her computer already has 500GB used up.

2 minutes ago, DK777 said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Massive difference to what I thought was needed lol. Suggestions are a significant improvement to what she has now!

@Juular and @boggy77 Might do a combination of your builds + 1 TB HDD, forgot to mention that her computer already has 500GB used up.

with your budget, might as well go for 1tb or 2tb ssd, if they are files/software used frequently

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

with your budget, might as well go for 1tb or 2tb ssd, if they are files/software used frequently

Yeah, it is stuff that she uses frequently, will keep that in mind.