Can't decide on a PSU for workstation build

Halley

Hello everyone! I'm building a new system intended for workstation use (I won't be gaming at all). I work with 3D animation/modelling/sculpting, 2D animation (vector/raster), video compositing/FX, digital painting, image processing with Python/ImageMagick/OpenCV, etc. The apps I use are Blender, DaVinci, Corel Painter, Clip Studio, OpenToonz among others.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

GPU: GTX 2070 Super 8GB
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
Others: 3x Case Fans (no RGB) / 1x SSD / 1x HDD
Notes: I won't overclock

Estimated Wattage: 484W

The PSU's on my list so far...

• Seasonic FOCUS Plus 80+ Platinum (550W)
  • Seasonic PRIME Ultra 80+ Platinum (550W)
  • Corsair RM550x 80+ Gold 2018 (550W)

I already had suggestions not to go with either of the Seasonics (I don't know why though). When I added the FOCUS I got this message on PCPartPicker... ?

The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

I admit to some brand loyalty between Seasonic/Corsair over habit but I'm very open to any suggestions, I already use an RM550x from some years back in another build but I noticed now they list it as RMx 2018, is it the same PSU?

Should I go higher on the wattage?

My budget for the PSU is £130 ($150 ish) but I have wiggle room, I'm looking for long-term reliability, trusted build quality and efficiency but I don't know how to look for it, it's the most difficult and scary component for me to choose, thank you so much in advance for any advice!

so you could easily max out your budget with and 850 watt from corsair thats 129.99 just in case you want to overclock but if you just wanna give your cpu/gpu a little headroom to boost on their own go for any 550-650 watt with at least and 80+ gold rating

corsair 850 watt: https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/VgQG3C

15 minutes ago, Halley said:

I already had suggestions not to go with either of the Seasonics (I don't know why though)

The focus has problems with transient response, they fixed on the GX model but not the original focus. The prime is actually quite good, but usually overpriced.

It's hard to go wrong with the RMx. The one you're looking at is among the best in its price range (assuming USD)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

The focus has problems with transient response, they fixed on the GX model but not the original focus. The prime is actually quite good, but usually overpriced.

It's hard to go wrong with the RMx.

id say any corsair yeah

Just now, Moonlacer386 said:

id say any corsair yeah

I wouldn't recommend the Corsair CXM or VS. the CX would be adequate, but honestly anything TXM and up is ideal.

There's more to it than brand and 80+ rating.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I wouldn't recommend the Corsair CXM or VS. the CX would be adequate, but honestly anything TXM and up is ideal.

There's more to it than brand and 80+ rating.

yeah i meant to say RMx and certain TXMs im getting the RMx 850w that i suggested just cause its fully modular

I'd say Corsair RMx, be quiet! Straight Power 11 or the PRIME Ultra.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Dont get the prime ultra just because the name ok Halley? Just dont. Its like supporting RGB