Fry's willsonville

Letgomyleghoe

Hi, 

decided to take the 40 minute drive out to my nearest fry's to see how stock was out here.

it was crazy walking in, there was almost nothing, no pre-builts, no monitors, 5 or 6 laptops, one processor in stock ONE I5-6600k, a singular b360 board, the only ram the had was that viper steel series stuff, there was no gpu's at all even asked staff if they had any. 

I asked around if they were closing and got "no, the owners are checking stock" 

even six months ago they had a decent stock, trident z ram, rtx 2080's, ryzen 7's 5's. not the best most expensive parts, but still had decent parts.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Even if they are not going out of business, they will have to earn back a lot of consumers who have given up on them over the last year(s).

I know that I keep checking my stores, and I end up at Microcenter every time (if I don't buy online).

Not sure I'll be popping by again just to hopefully see if my stores have stock, at some point it's not worth driving there for nothing,

I posted this to twitter after seeing Kyle's video: 

I've personally shopped at fry's for 2 years and started to notice the falloff around October of 2019... It's rough to see. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

That's sad...I loved Fry's in Dallas...it was the bomb.  Bought all kinds of cool sh!t in there...even had a dinner.  They had EVERYTHING...this was like 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Lorant said:

I know that I keep checking my stores, and I end up at Microcenter every time (if I don't buy online).

sadly theres no microcenters in oregon that i know of, even if it was a few hours away i would be willing to male the trip

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 hours ago, Lorant said:

Even if they are not going out of business, they will have to earn back a lot of consumers who have given up on them over the last year(s).

Not sure I'll be popping by again just to hopefully see if my stores have stock, at some point it's not worth driving there for nothing,

Yeah I only go to microcenter now as it is just way too convenient. Has everything I want is a 20 min drive and if anything goes wrong with the stuff I buy I just bring it back and get a new one rather than having to send it back to amazon or the like only to receive a replacement or refund much later. I am an impatient person so the ability to get what I want immediately is definitely worth the 20 min trip. I hope frys doesn't go out of business though as pc hardware stores are not too common and having one around is super nice. 

I was under the impression Fry's was almost stopping the PC sales where it might sell some basic prebuilts that you can find at BestBuy's or Wall-marts. I could be wrong but I remember some random huge sales to get rid of parts. 

Pc parts is such a niche market that it doesnt surprise me. 

Im dying to have a microcenter within an hour drive of me but i know it would close down due to poor business. 

27 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Im dying to have a microcenter within an hour drive of me but i know it would close down due to poor business. 

It's not just PC parts though it's the full stock at most the stores, watch Bitwits video on it, the Los Angeles store is how pretty much every Fry's looks right now no stock on anything. I live only about an hour and forty-five minutes from the Vegas location and it's been completely barren, they stocked up some things for CES to make the store look good and "stocked" for the people going to check it out. Fry's used to be incredibly cool, I used to get all my full builds or two in parts there. I've redone my car's sound system, bought furniture, tvs, books, games, and even eaten dinner there. It used to be a one stop shop and now it's just miserable, only way I can describe it is that it's exactly how K-mart is now that all the stores are closing and bankrupt. I hope they get the "vendor issue" sorted out and it can return to it's former glory but I don't know if they will be able to recover.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

It's not just PC parts though it's the full stock at most the stores, watch Bitwits video on it, the Los Angeles store is how pretty much every Fry's looks right now no stock on anything. I live only about an hour and forty-five minutes from the Vegas location and it's been completely barren, they stocked up some things for CES to make the store look good and "stocked" for the people going to check it out. Fry's used to be incredibly cool, I used to get all my full builds or two in parts there. I've redone my car's sound system, bought furniture, tvs, books, games, and even eaten dinner there. It used to be a one stop shop and now it's just miserable, only way I can describe it is that it's exactly how K-mart is now that all the stores are closing and bankrupt. I hope they get the "vendor issue" sorted out and it can return to it's former glory but I don't know if they will be able to recover.

Yeah, that whole "We have a new vendor" thing was complete bullshit.  You don't have 1 vendor fulfilling all aspects of a store like that.  That was a line to tell employees so everyone doesn't quit as the ship sinks.

I think they're dead and done really :(

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Honestly whenever I go to microcenter it is absolutely packed throughout the store so I don't think it is that niche of a market and they have more than just pc hardware so they wouldn't need to rely solely on pc hardware sales. 

8 hours ago, scuff gang said:

I asked around if they were closing and got "no, the owners are checking stock" 

I worked at the wilsonville location through 2016. we were losing stock while i was still there and giving people the same bs line.

"vendor issues"

"we'll have new inventory soon"

"waiting to sell the existing inventory before fully stocking with a new vendor"

this hasnt been the last few months, its been YEARS. first the ram, then the processors, ssd, motherboards, graphics cards. and its even affecting their non-PC building departments.

"We are in the process of re-ordering product and restocking shelves. More product in all stores in next few weeks." is what they said 4 months ago.

Palo Alto location closed for good now that their lease is up and they decided not to renew it.  i expect the same will start happening as their leases start to expire. any frys location where they dont own the building is going away. same thing probably happened in Duluth, except they forgot to tell the employees

EDIT: i should also mention the Owners father recently passed away, so i expect the business to fall apart sooner rather than later.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.