Gradually increasing RAM usage on windows 10?

Oradion
Go to solution Solved by Oradion,

I was about to try the debloating idea, before a friend of mine also said "this one time, this app called seguarzo antivirus randomly popped up on my pc. It took up like 50% of my RAM and I don't even remember installing it". He randomly tossed it out there, and turns out I had the exact same problem. I deleted the software (which I'm probably gonna call a virus to be honest) and my pc returned to normal. Thanks to everyone who reached out a hand and suggested fixes. Turns out it was an old fashioned virus in disguise ?

Hope you all have a nice day 

For anyone coming to this topic, this answer may not work for you. Please read through the other possible answers suggested by the lovely people here at LTT. It's a great community (unironically of course).

Hello all! I'm relatively new to LTT website and actually signed up for this reason.... I'm having a problem with my windows 10 pc. Even when my pc is on idle, my RAM usage seems to be gradually increasing over time. I found it out after I was playing League of Legends only to find the game constantly crashing after 1 game. I rebooted my pc to alleviate it and it worked, I assumed I just needed more RAM and hopped on roblox, which I assumed doesn't use much RAM, only to find the same problem. After trying overwatch, an error finally came up saying the RAM was full. I couldn't find any real answers online and after investigating myself, I found that the increased usage was gradual and mainly on svc host.exe processes. I don't want to reboot my pc every hour and constantly be at risk of my pc crashing. Please help...  I've attached 6 photos documenting the increase of my pc's memory usage over time. The second sc (middle memory usage) was taken within 23 minutes of the 1st screenshot (lowest, around 4 gb). With the highest taken 10 minutes after the second. I humbly await any response ? 

My pc specs are: 

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X@3.6GHz 

Viper Blackout series DDR4 RAM@3000 MHz 

nvidia GTX 660 

500GB HDD, 1TB HDD and 240GB ssd 

Microsoft windows 10

time 1 - svc host.PNG

time 2 - svc host.PNG

time 2 (23 minute difference).PNG

time 3 - svc host.PNG

time 1.PNG

time 3 - (10 minute difference).PNG

This sounds like a memory leak. Make sure to update all your drivers and uninstall any programs that you do not use. A buggy driver is probably leaking memory and slowly sucking up all of your RAM which is why you don't see it in the Process list in Task Manager as drivers don't show up there. The most common causes are network, (ethernet, Wi-FIi, Bluetooth), audio and USB drivers. Make sure that the latest versions of these and any other drivers are installed.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

21 hours ago, Husky said:

This sounds like a memory leak. Make sure to update all your drivers and uninstall any programs that you do not use. A buggy driver is probably leaking memory and slowly sucking up all of your RAM which is why you don't see it in the Process list in Task Manager as drivers don't show up there. The most common causes are network, (ethernet, Wi-FIi, Bluetooth), audio and USB drivers. Make sure that the latest versions of these and any other drivers are installed.

You were probably right. So far the memory usage hasn't been going up after I reinstalled my wifi drivers (for the Gigabyte WB1733 wireless network card and antenna). I'll report your solution solved if the problem doesn't return within 3 days

21 hours ago, Rxkvn07 said:

8gb isnt enough , my pc use 5 to 6 gb on idle 

That may be that you simply have more apps open on idle. prior to (what I believe is) the memory leak, my pc would idle on 3.0 to 3.6 GB

21 hours ago, Husky said:

nevermind, the fix didn't do anything

Proof (pt 4).PNG

5 minutes ago, Oradion said:

nevermind, the fix didn't do anything

Proof (pt 4).PNG

I feel like i'm literally talking to myself here xD. I realised that since I've upgraded to a new ssd, maybe my pc simply can't locate the drivers for all my hardware. I'm going through them now. I'll report back when I'm done.

If you can add more memory that would be best. windows at idle, depending on background processes,  can easily use 5 GB of ram. my system uses around the same amount of RAM without anything open due to antivirus software etc... It is my opinion in this day and age  to have above 8GB of ram (ideal 16GB cost vs benefit) for a average user that does not do video editing etc.... If you run Arch Linux or something it would be a different story. 

I reinstalled all known drivers and the leak persists. No luck there, damn.

Hey man, try the Windows Memory Diagnostic,  i have 8GB RAM also
For no reason, one day my PC idles at 4-5 GB , so i tried that diagnostic, and it back to 2,5 GB- 2,7 GB RAM now.

My Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8GB x 2

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming X

Case: GameMax G535CR (Black)

Storage: Kingston A400 240GB(Boot Drive) Western Digital 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Toshiba PC300 1TB

PSU: COUGAR VTE600

Display: LG - 24MP59G-P, LG - 43LJ500T

Cooling: Stock

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Razer Mamba Elite
Mousepad: GMS RGB Mousepad

Sound: Razer Kraken X, Logitech Z120

I was about to try the debloating idea, before a friend of mine also said "this one time, this app called seguarzo antivirus randomly popped up on my pc. It took up like 50% of my RAM and I don't even remember installing it". He randomly tossed it out there, and turns out I had the exact same problem. I deleted the software (which I'm probably gonna call a virus to be honest) and my pc returned to normal. Thanks to everyone who reached out a hand and suggested fixes. Turns out it was an old fashioned virus in disguise ?

Hope you all have a nice day 

For anyone coming to this topic, this answer may not work for you. Please read through the other possible answers suggested by the lovely people here at LTT. It's a great community (unironically of course).