2080 Ti + FHD monitors = bottleneck?

RogueNineOne
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, RogueNineOne said:

Sorry for not being able to put my question properly. What I'm trying to say is that I've heard 1080p monitors can bottleneck performance when using a 2080 Ti card because it puts more loads on the CPU. So, I was just wondering if the high refresh rate would solve the problem or would I've to go for higher resolution as well?

the monitor "bottlenecks" in the sense that your GPU will be capable of outputting more frames (or resolution) than the display offers. in a sense this is a good thing.

sort of a comparison.. say you're choosing what car frame to combine with what engine. if you use the frame of a smart car and a big "patrioticly american" 5 liter V8 engine, you will never be in a situation where the engine cant provide enough power for the task.

to bring that analogy back to your specific question, the V8 engine is way overkill, but that "overkill" in the computer world can be "solved" by just adding more graphical fidelity. just about any game has a section in its graphics settings (or graphically enhancing mods, etc.) that allow you to go full ridiculous mode. anti-aliasing all the things gets rid of extra GPU horsepower faster than you can imagine.

also, having GPU headroom essentially implies that you'll be maxing out the settings in upcoming games for longer, than if you were right on the edge of "running max settings" today. people tend to forget that as time goes on, games become more graphically demading surprisingly quickly.

i run into this a lot, with my GTX 970 i'm starting to notice that the jump from windowed 1080p (how i usually run games on my 1440p panels) to fullscreen 1440p is starting to weigh very heavily in the graphics settings i can run on newer titles.

in a sense, given that your cpu can keep up with the game's code, there's x parameters to balance out:

- resolution

- target framerate

- graphics settings

- GPU's capabilities

where ofcourse, resolution and target framerate depend on your monitor.

if the GPU's capabilities are much higher than you are currently using, you can either get a better display, or bump graphics settings. if you cant meet your target framerate, you either upgrade your GPU, or lower your graphics settings.

i am confused what you are on about.. how would a lower resolution display make your gameplay experience less smooth than a higher resolution display?

Generally, 1440p is recommended for most people because you can get closer to the extra sharpness of the 4k (which in turn, allow you to get a bigger monitor) but still easy to drive for a "high frame rate experience"

Personally, 60 fps is more than enough but for a 24 inch display, 1080p is more than enough. It's just that if all you want is to drive a 1080p 144hz panel, there are many far cheaper options that you can take instead of a 2080ti (and possibly for 5+ years and more as well.)

Generally speaking, a monitor can't bottleneck your display, it's CPU that does that. Although one advantage of getting a high end card for a 1080p resolution is that, you will probably be able to game on the highest setting and still get a 144 fps for a long time, very long time. It's also a nice option if you want to upgrade to a higher resolution in the future (8k gaming anyone?)

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i am confused what you are on about.. how would a lower resolution display make your gameplay experience less smooth than a higher resolution display?

Sorry for not being able to put my question properly. What I'm trying to say is that I've heard 1080p monitors can bottleneck performance when using a 2080 Ti card because it puts more loads on the CPU. So, I was just wondering if the high refresh rate would solve the problem or would I've to go for higher resolution as well?

2 minutes ago, e22big said:

Generally, 1440p is recommended for most people because you can get closer to the extra sharpness of the 4k (which in turn, allow you to get a bigger monitor) but still easy to drive for a "high frame rate experience"

Personally, 60 fps is more than enough but for a 24 inch display, 1080p is more than enough. It's just that if all you want is to drive a 1080p 144hz panel, there are many far cheaper options that you can take instead of a 2080ti (and possibly for 5+ years and more as well.)

Generally speaking, a monitor can't bottleneck your display, it's CPU that does that. Although one advantage of getting a high end card for a 1080p resolution is that, you will probably be able to game on the highest setting and still get a 144 fps for a long time, very long time. It's also a nice option if you want to upgrade to a higher resolution in the future (8k gaming anyone?)

Yes, sorry for not putting my question correctly before. As you said....it's the CPU that does the bottleneck....yes and what I tried to say is that a 60hz FHD display in a system with 2080 Ti will put significantly high amount of load on the CPU causing it to bottleneck and I'm not sure if only the higher refresh rate would solve the problem or if I would have to go for a 2K display as well...

Just now, RogueNineOne said:

the monitor "bottlenecks" in the sense that your GPU will be capable of outputting more frames (or resolution) than the display offers. in a sense this is a good thing.

sort of a comparison.. say you're choosing what car frame to combine with what engine. if you use the frame of a smart car and a big "patrioticly american" 5 liter V8 engine, you will never be in a situation where the engine cant provide enough power for the task.

to bring that analogy back to your specific question, the V8 engine is way overkill, but that "overkill" in the computer world can be "solved" by just adding more graphical fidelity. just about any game has a section in its graphics settings (or graphically enhancing mods, etc.) that allow you to go full ridiculous mode. anti-aliasing all the things gets rid of extra GPU horsepower faster than you can imagine.

also, having GPU headroom essentially implies that you'll be maxing out the settings in upcoming games for longer, than if you were right on the edge of "running max settings" today. people tend to forget that as time goes on, games become more graphically demading surprisingly quickly.

i run into this a lot, with my GTX 970 i'm starting to notice that the jump from windowed 1080p (how i usually run games on my 1440p panels) to fullscreen 1440p is starting to weigh very heavily in the graphics settings i can run on newer titles.

in a sense, given that your cpu can keep up with the game's code, there's x parameters to balance out:

- resolution

- target framerate

- graphics settings

- GPU's capabilities

where ofcourse, resolution and target framerate depend on your monitor.

if the GPU's capabilities are much higher than you are currently using, you can either get a better display, or bump graphics settings. if you cant meet your target framerate, you either upgrade your GPU, or lower your graphics settings.

22 minutes ago, RogueNineOne said:

Yes, sorry for not putting my question correctly before. As you said....it's the CPU that does the bottleneck....yes and what I tried to say is that a 60hz FHD display in a system with 2080 Ti will put significantly high amount of load on the CPU causing it to bottleneck and I'm not sure if only the higher refresh rate would solve the problem or if I would have to go for a 2K display as well...

the fhd one should be fine

A 1080p, high refresh rate (144hz+), G-sync/freesync, low response time monitor sounds like what you're after. Specifically a 'smooth' gaming experience would be found at FHD. 1440p on the other hand, is demanding at times depending on the graphics setting.

Literally yesterday I upgrade from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 144hz G-Sync. I'm in love. But my poor 7 year old PC is however not! Haha

Just takes a lot to more power than I can offer at the moment.

As far as your bottleneck is concerned and as far as I know. 1080p would simply just not push your GPU to the max for the most part. Not exactly a bottleneck but just a reserve of processing power you won't be using. 1440p would use all that power most the time during gaming. It would look crisper but not always smoother being it that it would draw more demand from your card, potentially due to lower frames.

Hope that helps in some way.

i7-4770k | Asus Maximus VI Hero | Corsair H100i | 1080ti  | G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400Mhz | Samsung EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair RM1000i | Fractal Design Define R4 | LG 27GL83A

38 minutes ago, RogueNineOne said:

It doesn't work like that.