Computer occasionally freezes - need advice

nambo

Hey guys,

recently I upgraded some of my hardware. I bought a new motherboard, CPU, PSU and moved everything into a new Case. I wiped my old SSD and HDD and installed Windows 10 from my USB stick. I also downloaded MSI Live Update 6 to install the latest drivers + Geforce Experience for my GPU. Just when i thought I'm finally done with everything and can finally enjoy my new PC in peace I noticed that my PC freezes ocassionally. It's not tied to any specific programms, it happens whenever. Wether I'm using Google Chrome or play some games it happens. Randomly. 

Apart from the occasional freezes my PC works fine, its fast, no high temperatures and performs well. Except for the freezes of course. I have two different ram sticks with the same clock speed, I don't know if that could be the cause. What surprises me is that even when my PC freezes, programs like Teamspeak still work. The screen freezes and I can't move my cursor, but I can still hear people talking to each other and they can still hear me.

My PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6gb mini

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

PSU: Corsair TX750M (750W)

Ram: 2x8gb 2133mHz

1x 1TB HDD

1x Adata 120gb SSD-> used for OS and small programs like Chrome, Teamspeak 

1x WD Blue M.2 SSD

39 minutes ago, nambo said:

freezes

Does it freeze, and then eventually unfreeze and let you continue using your computer, or is it a hard lock, and you have to power cycle your system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does it freeze, and then eventually unfreeze and let you continue using your computer, or is it a hard lock, and you have to power cycle your system?

It works normally after being frozen for like 10-15 seconds. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

7 minutes ago, nambo said:

It works normally after being frozen for like 10-15 seconds. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Ok, we will start then with the basic troubleshooting.

Step 1: Update BIOS to latest version. And reset all settings in BIOS to default (in other words, turn off any overclocking you might have going on)

Step 2: Test and see what's what.

Step 3: If it still freezes, then test RAM with MemTest86+

Step 4: Report back.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Sorry to say that the mobo suck for that CPU.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.