Ryzen 3900x RAM issue

NiaD

Hi,

I have finished my build Yesterday but I noticed that using the First slot fron the CPU and then the third One i run in RAM issues, because the system goes in safe mode of I set the sticks to 3600.

But If I populare the second and the fourth one fron the CPU I can run the sticks with no issue at 3600MHz.

So, I tries to out all the sticks in single Channel (First A then B) and they run easily at 3600MHz.

So, I reallt don't know what to do, for now I have send back the mobo the mobo to amazon, but now that I am thinking It could be an imc fault?

I have installed a noctua ndh15s and screwes the tensione screws all the way down gently so this can't be an issue, but I reallt don't know.

My motherboard Is a x570 WS ace pro fron Asus .

Need help because i Need the PC to work, I must return the CPU?

4 minutes ago, NiaD said:

Need help because i Need the PC to work, I must return the CPU?

Did you check your manual where the ram should go?

F985CA30-5187-45BE-A9E5-54569B3900D4.jpeg

7C446C99-70D4-4AE7-8918-5D01BC47137E.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Do you have 4 sticks of RAM you want to use?

If yes: Technically, your CPU isn't GUARANTEED to run at 3600Mhz, but it should be able to do so. Investigate RMA maybe.

If no: Don't worry about it. the IMC is designed to run slots 2 and 4 first, then 1 and 3, so having only 1 and 3 might throw it off.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Did you check your manual where the ram should go?

F985CA30-5187-45BE-A9E5-54569B3900D4.jpeg

7C446C99-70D4-4AE7-8918-5D01BC47137E.jpeg

Is wrong to install B1 and A1?

Just now, NiaD said:

Is wrong to install B1 and A1?

Yes it’s wrong. First slot is not closest to cpu. 

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

12 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Yes it’s wrong. First slot is not closest to cpu. 

So its normal to run 3400 instead for 3600?

I thought that i had a faulty CPU or mobo

1 minute ago, NiaD said:

So its normal to run 3400 instead for 3600?

I thought that i had a faulty CPU or mobo

What do you mean by 3400? In your og post you mentioned that sticking ram into a2 b2 slots is letting you run the ram at 3600mhz. That’s how it supposed to be.

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

8 minutes ago, Whiro said:

What do you mean by 3400? In your og post you mentioned that sticking ram into a2 b2 slots is letting you run the ram at 3600mhz. That’s how it supposed to be.

I mean, of i use slot B1 A1 the sticks don't reach the max freq, because i I caricate the doccp (xmp) the system goes on safe mode, and of I down clock then to 3400 (instead of 3600) the system run.

In all the others slot (in single and in dual )all the sticks run at the max freq, only in A1 and B1 they font work properly

8 minutes ago, NiaD said:

I mean, of i use slot B1 A1 the sticks don't reach the max freq, because i I caricate the doccp (xmp) the system goes on safe mode, and of I down clock then to 3400 (instead of 3600) the system run.

In all the others slot (in single and in dual )all the sticks run at the max freq, only in A1 and B1 they font work properly

It is preferred to use A2/B2 first, then add with A1/B1 when upgrading. It is possible that just using A1/B1 doesn't work as well as with 4 dimms in use due to unproper technical termination.

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

It is preferred to use A2/B2 first, then add with A1/B1 when upgrading. It is possible that just using A1/B1 doesn't work as well as with 4 dimms in use due to unproper technical termination.

Ok, when the new mobo Will arrive ill try, also Just bought another 16gb of RAM to solve the problem :)

5 minutes ago, NiaD said:

Ok, when the new mobo Will arrive ill try, also Just bought another 16gb of RAM to solve the problem :)

What memory is it, by the way? Seems I can't find any DDR4 3600 in the QVL and some of the other (up to 3200) are only supported for 2 dimm configuration.

5 minutes ago, NiaD said:

New mobo? Did you get another one or rma this one? 
Another 16gb to solve which problem cos I’m really starting to get confused.

Let me explain this once again. 
If you have only two ram stick they should by default be in A2 and B2 , this is not a problem at all. If you can run them in advertised speed it’s great.
Ryzen cpus are dual channel, once you start adding more ram there is bigger chance they not gonna overclock to this numbers, insted of 3600mhz you may get only 3200mhz. 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

30 minutes ago, Whiro said:

New mobo? Did you get another one or rma this one? 
Another 16gb to solve which problem cos I’m really starting to get confused.

Let me explain this once again. 
If you have only two ram stick they should by default be in A2 and B2 , this is not a problem at all. If you can run them in advertised speed it’s great.
Ryzen cpus are dual channel, once you start adding more ram there is bigger chance they not gonna overclock to this numbers, insted of 3600mhz you may get only 3200mhz. 

I used the A1 B1 ONLY and the system can't  run at full Speed, It enter che in safe mode.

In A2 B2 the go perfectly fine.

And in single Channel they Aldo go perfectly fine at full Speed.

What I am asking Is ifs normal for the sticks to not run at full Speed in A1 B1 becausa there Is nothing about that in the manuale

Also yes, Amazon accepted It back

45 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

What memory is it, by the way? Seems I can't find any DDR4 3600 in the QVL and some of the other (up to 3200) are only supported for 2 dimm configuration.

3600 cl15 ballistix elite

7 minutes ago, NiaD said:

3600 cl15 ballistix elite

They aren't on the list, CL15 3000 is, but only supported with 2 dimms, CL16 3200 is supported with up to 4 dimms.

49 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

They aren't on the list, CL15 3000 is, but only supported with 2 dimms, CL16 3200 is supported with up to 4 dimms.

But they run at cl 16 3600 in dual Channel A2 B2

16 minutes ago, NiaD said:

But they run at cl 16 3600 in dual Channel A2 B2

Yes, usually it does, but it's not supported (tested) by Asus. It is just a problem when they don't behave as expected.

29 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Yes, usually it does, but it's not supported (tested) by Asus. It is just a problem when they don't behave as expected.

Yes but they run at max freq in those slot, the sticks should perform the same in the others two no?

2 minutes ago, NiaD said:

Yes bit of they run in those slot, the sticks should perform the same in the others two no?

Let me try to explain it to you again. 
Default speed of DDR4 ram is 2133mhz , everything above that speed is counted as a overclock. All manufacturers test max stable overclock, lets say 3600mhz, they will advertise that this ram is capable of running at 3600mhz, everything above this is not tested or not stable. BUT Ryzen chips are very picky for the ram, some may run it easily at 3600mhz some may have more problem with it and some will run at even higher speeds. Now when company makes motherboard and put slots on them they will route them to cpu socket in order. So if motherboard manual saying a2 and b2 is primary that’s how they make them. Now when you take into consideration that Ryzen can be picky with ram and put ram into different slot you may have a problems running them at that speed. It’s exactly same if you use 4 ram slots, it may run at lower speeds. 
Hopefully this cleared this enough.

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

4 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Let me try to explain it to you again. 
Default speed of DDR4 ram is 2133mhz , everything above that speed is counted as a overclock. All manufacturers test max stable overclock, lets say 3600mhz, they will advertise that this ram is capable of running at 3600mhz, everything above this is not tested or not stable. BUT Ryzen chips are very picky for the ram, some may run it easily at 3600mhz some may have more problem with it and some will run at even higher speeds. Now when company makes motherboard and put slots on them they will route them to cpu socket in order. So if motherboard manual saying a2 and b2 is primary that’s how they make them. Now when you take into consideration that Ryzen can be picky with ram and put ram into different slot you may have a problems running them at that speed. It’s exactly same if you use 4 ram slots, it may run at lower speeds. 
Hopefully this cleared this enough.

Thats enough, i only wanted to know of my mobo or CPU sere damaged, but the answer Is no taking in consideration what you said ti me

2 minutes ago, NiaD said:

Thats enough, i only wanted to know of my mobo or CPU sere damaged, but the answer Is no taking in consideration what you said ti me

His answer is: no your motherboard and CPU are not damaged.

Overclocked RAM (which this is) not working (in all slots) is expected behavior.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

2 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

His answer is: no your motherboard and CPU are not damaged.

Overclocked RAM (which this is) not working (in all slots) is expected behavior.

I hope that with all the sticks imthe frequency wont drop top much