CPU Bottleneck Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz ? (update: now E5-2690)

Any one have any thoughts as to how mighty a graphics card I can get a way with in an older system with a Xeon E5-1620 (3.6 GHz) and 16GB RAM before the CPU becomes a bottleneck?  I was actually thinking a GTX 2080 as I could use it for a new rig planned later in the year. 

Also looking to upgrade my "retro games" PC - similar question for AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (wow feels strange typing that in 2020....) overclocked to 2.4 GHz, 3GB RAM. Was thinking Radeon 3850 or 4650. Currently has a Geforce 6600GT in it. 

Thanks! :)

5 minutes ago, Cylon Agent said:

Any one have any thoughts as to how mighty a graphics card I can get a way with in an older system with a Xeon E5-1620 (3.6 GHz) and 16GB RAM before the CPU becomes a bottleneck?  I was actually thinking a GTX 2080 as I could use it for a new rig planned later in the year

A Sandy bridge 4c/8t with no OC is not gonna carry a 2080 too well in modern AAA titles. What is your performance target, and with what games?

Then again, if you just go all out on the GPU and then later just upgrade the rest of your rig later, it hardly matters.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Cylon Agent said:

Any one have any thoughts

if you are planning a new build later this year it

1. doesn't matter really how much of a bottleneck your CPU is right now imo
  2. might be better to wait a "little". heared something about new Nvidia GPUs hitting market this summer-ish

as for your retro gamestation

where are you from? got a gtx 760 sitting around and collecting dust ^^ XD

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

21 minutes ago, Cylon Agent said:

Also looking to upgrade my "retro games" PC - similar question for AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (wow feels strange typing that in 2020....) overclocked to 2.4 GHz, 3GB RAM. Was thinking Radeon 3850 or 4650. Currently has a Geforce 6600GT in it. 

Thanks! :)

Why not leave the GT6600 where it sits?

Thanks everyone! I suppose part of my question isnt soley about bottle-necking but weather i might risk worse performance. Particularly, my question regarding the older Athlon system - I've others run into trouble where they upgrade using cards so powerful that their overhead actually results in WORSE performance. 

Regarding the newer rig, I hate the idea of sitting on bleeding edge tech if I cant make much use of it... Maybe keep the GTX 1060 I have paired with the Xeon for now? Perhaps something more reasonable like a used 5700XT? My main goal was to make better use of 144hz monitor across the board... games vary from Tomb Raider to Project Cars 2, Hitman 2 and older games like Alien Isolation. I also do some VR gaming and a bit of CG rendering on Blender (awfully slow even with two 1060s).

Sir0Tek - Just trying to polish up what was a very special build once upon a special time. :)

5 hours ago, Cylon Agent said:

Regarding the newer rig, I hate the idea of sitting on bleeding edge tech if I cant make much use of it... Maybe keep the GTX 1060 I have paired with the Xeon for now? Perhaps something more reasonable like a used 5700XT? My main goal was to make better use of 144hz monitor across the board... games vary from Tomb Raider to Project Cars 2, Hitman 2 and older games like Alien Isolation. I also do some VR gaming and a bit of CG rendering on Blender (awfully slow even with two 1060s).

Does the board you are on support overclocking? A 1620 should be able to squeeze at least 4.2GHz or higher. If you want a bit of an upgrade for not a lot of money now you can look and see if any of the other xeons in the 16 family are in your price range. 1650, 1660 and 1680 should all fit your socket but you should check that they will work. The 1680 doesn't have as wide spread support but will sometimes still work even if it's not supported officially.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Not sure if this helps but I found a Xeon E5-2690 around - its an 8 core, so perhaps Ill get more out of a graphics upgrade with it?  My only reservation is the TDP is 135 and my board seems to have been rated for 130. Any thoughts?