2.5'' SSD vs NVME M.2 for game library

Glider22

Title says it all. I already have a 500 Gb NVME M.2 as a boot drive with a couple games installed but it's at 85% capacity and I am looking for a 2nd SSD to store more games. I only use my computer for gaming.

I am looking for a 2 Tb drive and my mobo only has 1 M.2 slot so a second M.2 drive would require a PCI-E M.2 adapter.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Either is fine, they are essentially the same thing outside of NVME.  Don't overspend for a data drive as you won't see the difference in real world usage. 

You could also go for a (cheaper) 2+tb harddisk for games and other data, then use a portion of your ssd for caching this drive. Most of the time only a fraction of the harddisk is in regular use so caching works quite well.

Whichever is cheapest, tbh. The average game loading time differences between sata 3 & nvme will lie somewhere between 0-2 seconds.

If you search NVME vs SSD  game loads on YouTUbe.. you see that it's only about 1 second better with NVME.

Is that one second worth the it to you?

On 1/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, Glider22 said:

Title says it all. I already have a 500 Gb NVME M.2 as a boot drive with a couple games installed but it's at 85% capacity and I am looking for a 2nd SSD to store more games. I only use my computer for gaming.

I am looking for a 2 Tb drive and my mobo only has 1 M.2 slot so a second M.2 drive would require a PCI-E M.2 adapter.

To be honest a normal hard disk would work for games. But if you want full SSD storage Id just get a Sata based 2.5". Just becuase it should be cheaper and that would mean you should be able to get a decent capacity for not too much money. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.