Triple Monitor Gaming

BelgianNoise

Someone asked me to make him a build that can later be used for a cockpit setup.

So do I need multiple GPUs or will this run on 1 GPU?
Also if 1, what kind of GPU are we looking at considering the games iracing, asseto corsa, ...

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

Just now, BelgianNoise said:

So do I need multiple GPUs or will this run on 1 GPU?

Not nescecarily, unless you need a ton of GPU horse-power. You can connect multiple displays to one GPU.

1 minute ago, BelgianNoise said:

Also if 1, what kind of GPU are we looking at considering the games iracing, asseto corsa, ...

Depends on the resolution of the screens.

Let's say this is a triple 1080p screen setup, in which case that is basically 75% the pixels of a 3840x2160 display. So you should look at 4K performance in those games, which you would likely need a 5700XT/2070 (Super) or better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You use one gpu , typically you actually cannot use two cpu's for a spanned linked setup. And it would be something like a 2080ti

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Not nescecarily, unless you need a ton of GPU horse-power. You can connect multiple displays to one GPU.

Depends on the resolution of the screens.

Let's say this is a triple 1080p screen setup, in which case that is basically 75% the pixels of a 3840x2160 display. So you should look at 4K performance in those games, which you would likely need a 5700XT/2070 (Super) or better.

the comparison to a 4K screen made it kinda selfexplanatory for me, tnx.

I was looking at this one earlier todaytttttttttttttttttt:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G

That one should deliver a decent 60FPS on midtier games ?
Or do you recommend going one step higher to ensure good performance?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

the comparison to a 4K screen made it kinda selfexplanatory for me, tnx.

I was looking at this one earlier todaytttttttttttttttttt:
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G

That one should deliver a decent 60FPS on midtier games ?
Or do you recommend going one step higher to ensure good performance?

Do check specifically with the games that will be played on the system, I am not fully familiar with the performance of those specific games.

But when doing my research on getting a new videocard or 4K, this is what I put together from benchmarks around the web (Guru3D specifically):
image.png.2449f2739c6385a379e9a0ca1da8582b.png

Those are 4K benchmarks. So add about 25% fps for a triple 1080p setup (assuming you're going for that and not like triple 1440p/4K)

As you should be able to see, a 2070 Super is just about 60fps level in most games, 5700XT doesn't hit 60fps in the Witcher 3 (as that is quite Nvidia favoring), but does in the other title.

But that is performance today and not in two years or more. So perhaps going for a 2080 Super might pay off in the end, as it does have very nice 4K performance.

All depends on the budget and expectation.

Of course I did my own benchmarks on my PC and on 4K I was getting around 150fps in Grid 2 and Dirt 3, which admittedly are older racing games. But it just goes to show how much performance can vary.

So see my recommendations as pointers.

Pointers to looking for benchmark (4K benchmarks would be easier to find and kind of relevant for 3x1080p) and see it as a pointer for a 5700XT/2070(Super) or better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i'd get a 2080 super or 2070 super, but 1080p are usually 144hz so i recommend 2080 super and also a 3700x or 9700k

Depends on the res and FPS needs. I’ve used single and sli for surround gaming. 2 has always been better than one. 
Then the issue of having a cpu that could keep up as not all games are created equal and the whole more res means it’s easier for the cpu doesn’t always pan out. 

But that comes with context. 

So the games would decide that, resolution, settings and FPS. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz