Best Sub-200 (US) Dollar Headphones

BlueElement

I would say gaming headphones but in the words of Linus "Good headphones are good headphones. Period." Built in microphone preferably, mostly black, etc. I don't have a sound card. I just have standard analog audio inputs as well as USB (of course). I've been thinking of Razer Megalodons or Logitech G930's. What do you guys think?

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball

General rule of thumb, anything marketed as a "Gaming Headphone / Headset" will usually have poor sound reproduction when doing anything else. A great pair of headphones will sound amazing no matter what you're using them for. Also I would recommend spending some of that budget on a sound card with a headphone amp.

Recommendations:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357599358&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+hd555

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357599396&sr=1-2&keywords=xonar+dx

Good headphones are good headphones, but a built-in mic turn headphones into a headset. Headsets are not good headphones. They're a last resort if a desktop mic, a clip-on mic and an adhesive boom mic are all out of the question.

I personally own a pair of G930's and the quality is much better than most would think. I previously owned a set of G35's, just G930's but with a cord and they honestly sounded worse and was less comfortable than the G930's. Obviously if you have a good sound card then Headphones + clipon mic are better, but headsets aren't nearly as bad as people say they are.

Bose AE2 headphones you can pick them up for around 150$ and they are one of the best sub 200$ headphones you can buy, i bought a pair of these 2 years ago and i have no regrets.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-AE2-audio-headphones-Black/dp/B00478O0JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357601639&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+ae2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826627010

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHZ, Intel DX58SO, EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 TI, 12 GB corsair vengeance 1600MHz, 120 GB Intel 520,

I recommend the V-Moda M-80s they are audiophile level cans for 200 retail though I think on Amazon they are cheaper. I really haven't found any headphones in this price range that can really stand up to the build and sound quality of these ones. The ones I have tried are too big (over ear) to compare to the M-80s (on ear). The LP2s are the over ear versions as these and while not as good sounding they are quite decent as well.

I personally own a pair of G930's and the quality is much better than most would think. I previously owned a set of G35's' date=' just G930's but with a cord and they honestly sounded worse and was less comfortable than the G930's. Obviously if you have a good sound card then Headphones + clipon mic are better, but headsets aren't nearly as bad as people say they are.[/quote']

It's all in the context. What decent headphones (not headsets) have you owned?

Good headphones are good headphones' date=' but a built-in mic turn headphones into a headset. Headsets are not good headphones. They're a last resort if a desktop mic, a clip-on mic [i']and an adhesive boom mic are all out of the question.

Why does a built in microphone lesser the quality?

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball

I love my Sennheiser HD 518 + ASUS Xonar DGX' date=' you can most likely get both for under $200 (I live in the UK). What ever you decide, get a sound card it does makes big difference over onboard.[/quote']

Noted. I think you can get a 5.1 ASUS soundcard for relatively cheap.

I don't think he said built in mics are lesser quality, its just that they are bundled with lesser quality items.

you don't really need to get a 5.1 card for a 5.1 system. I have a 7.1 card driving a 5.1 system, it just disables the unused pathway.

lets flip the tables on you.... what are you looking to get audio wise. what do you listen to what do you use your computer for. if you game how long do you game. what kind of headphones have you used in the past? what kind of sound signature are you looking for, big bass or do you want directional 3d sound?

Good headphones are good headphones' date=' but a built-in mic turn headphones into a headset. Headsets are not good headphones. They're a last resort if a desktop mic, a clip-on mic [i']and an adhesive boom mic are all out of the question.
Why does a built in microphone lesser the quality?

I'm not sure if it's just that a good headphone can't be combined with a good microphone, or if the companies that put out headsets simply prefer to grossly overcharge their customers, but headsets are reliably worse than equivalently priced headphones and significantly so...More they should be considering the quality of the microphone attached (

)

I don't think he said built in mics are lesser quality' date=' its just that they are bundled with lesser quality items. you don't really need to get a 5.1 card for a 5.1 system. I have a 7.1 card driving a 5.1 system, it just disables the unused pathway. lets flip the tables on you.... what are you looking to get audio wise. what do you listen to what do you use your computer for. if you game how long do you game. what kind of headphones have you used in the past? what kind of sound signature are you looking for, big bass or do you want directional 3d sound? [/quote']

I play games and on the days I do I play for at least 2 hours straight. I listen to music as well (all sorts). I like bass (not noticeably disproportional) and '3d' sound would be good but not required (stereo usually gives you a semi-3d feel anyways). Right now I just use Beats Tour buds (I know, I know, don't judge) and a crappy desktop mic.