Ryzen 3900x High voltage ?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
2 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

Alright thank you for the awnser ! 

And the temps are good to ? 40° Seems high for hidle. 

HwMonitor shows 65° i dont know why.

Yes, 3900X tends to idle at around 40*C to 45*C on most air coolers, that is normal.

Ignore HWmonitor, this SW is not accurate. Use HWinfo instead.

Hello ! I have a problem with my 3900x, my voltage and temps seems to high in idle, What should i do ?

Thanks !

image.thumb.png.c4a565e3dddaa93e04822ed0f7081bd7.png

Thats normal for peak voltage to go over 1.4V when single core or a very few cores get quickly loaded for a short period of time.

You can see your average voltage is at 0.5V.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Thats normal for peak voltage to go over 1.4V when single core or a very few cores get quickly loaded for a short period of time.

2 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

Yes, 3900X tends to idle at around 40*C to 45*C on most air coolers, that is normal.

Ignore HWmonitor, this SW is not accurate. Use HWinfo instead.

32 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

Hello ! I have a problem with my 3900x, my voltage and temps seems to high in idle, What should i do ?

Thanks !

image.thumb.png.c4a565e3dddaa93e04822ed0f7081bd7.png

Y 3600 even hits 1.45+ sometimes ryzen just likes giving some cores extra volts

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Hmm, any idea what would cause my average voltage to be around 1.25-1.30? Most I'm seeing it drop is to 0.9x. That's with my system sitting mostly idle (1-2% CPU usage). I thought this was normal but now I'm skeptical. I'm on a 3950X but assuming it should behave similar to a 3900X.

5 minutes ago, snq said:

Hmm, any idea what would cause my average voltage to be around 1.25-1.30? Most I'm seeing it drop is to 0.9x. That's with my system sitting mostly idle (1-2% CPU usage). I thought this was normal but now I'm skeptical. I'm on a 3950X but assuming it should behave similar to a 3900X.

Do you have the new chipset drivers and using Ryzen Balanced power plan? 

Any SW running in the background? For example some SW controlling RGB. 

25 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Do you have the new chipset drivers and using Ryzen Balanced power plan? 

Any SW running in the background? For example some SW controlling RGB. 

I was going to write "I just installed them earlier this week" but then I checked and apparently AMD released a new version today. I am on an X470 board btw. So I updated, and while it seems to be a little bit lower it's still well above 1V.
Yes I'm using the Ryzen Balanced plan, tried min processor state 99%, 5%, and 0%, made no difference.

There's plenty of background processes but nothing that uses any CPU to speak of, Ryzen Master usually is on top of the list when I have it running but still under 1% so I'm not sure if there's anything keeping my cores awake.

They just sit there idling at 2-400 MHz most of the time. Shouldn't they be going to sleep?
I've attached a RM screenshot, maybe someone spots something interesting.

Untitled.png

11 minutes ago, snq said:

I was going to write "I just installed them earlier this week" but then I checked and apparently AMD released a new version today. I am on an X470 board btw. So I updated, and while it seems to be a little bit lower it's still well above 1V.
Yes I'm using the Ryzen Balanced plan, tried min processor state 99%, 5%, and 0%, made no difference.

There's plenty of background processes but nothing that uses any CPU to speak of, Ryzen Master usually is on top of the list when I have it running but still under 1% so I'm not sure if there's anything keeping my cores awake.

They just sit there idling at 2-400 MHz most of the time. Shouldn't they be going to sleep?
I've attached a RM screenshot, maybe someone spots something interesting.

Untitled.png

Yes, the cores should definitely be sleeping when not in use. 

Which version of Agesa do you run? (BIOS) 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, the cores should definitely be sleeping when not in use. 

Which version of Agesa do you run? (BIOS) 

1.0.0.4. ("5406 - AMD ASEGA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4" to be precise)
I just remembered I have CPU Virtualization enabled because I need to be able to run VMWare, thought that maybe that was preventing the cores from sleeping so I disabled it, but they're still not going to sleep.

Just now, snq said:

I just remembered I have CPU Virtualization enabled because I need to be able to run VMWare, thought that maybe that was preventing the cores from sleeping so I disabled it, but they're still not going to sleep.

I run VM as well so that can't be an issue. 

I'm at work right now so it's difficult for me to help you as I can't check some stuff. 

I'm on X570 though. 

Is C-State enabled? 

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Is C-State enabled? 

That was it! I had to dig deep in the bios to find the setting and it was set to auto, changed it to enabled and now my cores are falling asleep and average core voltage as I'm writing this is 0.43V :)
Thanks a lot for your help!

16 hours ago, WereCat said:

I run VM as well so that can't be an issue. 

I'm at work right now so it's difficult for me to help you as I can't check some stuff. 

I'm on X570 though. 

Is C-State enabled? 

I update my chipset driver and the voltage is on constant 1.3 > 1.4. How can i set the voltage low in idle and high in games/Editing, things like that ? 

image.thumb.png.8d3a62dc39656762d39f4e5fa644a216.png

3 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

I update my chipset driver and the voltage is on constant 1.3 > 1.4. How can i set the voltage low in idle and high in games/Editing, things like that ? 

image.thumb.png.8d3a62dc39656762d39f4e5fa644a216.png

it should be automatic

Sometimes after I install or update chipset drivers my power plan changes from Ryzen Balanced to Windows High Performance for some reason and I get simmilar behavior to yours.

Check the power plan first.

If power plan is not an issue. Try uninstalling the chipset drivers first, restart PC, install new ones again, restart PC, check the power plan again if its Ryzen Balanced.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

it should be automatic

Sometimes after I install or update chipset drivers my power plan changes from Ryzen Balanced to Windows High Performance for some reason and I get simmilar behavior to yours.

If power plan is not an issue. Try uninstalling the chipset drivers first, restart PC, install new ones again, restart PC, check the power plan again if its Ryzen Balanced.

Power plan is ok, How do i unistall chipset drivers ? 

28 minutes ago, WereCat said:

it should be automatic

I did what you asked me to do. Same problem image.thumb.png.c693d2ea9107e366e5f5955e64836019.png

image.thumb.png.c31395ed3834d9cf700696def6474d7f.png

52 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

I did what you asked me to do. Same problem image.thumb.png.c693d2ea9107e366e5f5955e64836019.png

image.thumb.png.c31395ed3834d9cf700696def6474d7f.png

Honestly, I don't know what could cause that. 

I would try to close background processes one by one and see if that has any effect. 

Usually RGB software in the background can cause similar behaviour or if you run multiple HW monitoring SW at the same time. 

I would also try to install the older chipset drivers just to see if the new ones are the issue or not. 

If even that didn't work then I would try 1usmus power plan (Google it) 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Honestly, I don't know what could cause that. 

I would try to close background processes one by one and see if that has any effect. 

Usually RGB software in the background can cause similar behaviour or if you run multiple HW monitoring SW at the same time. 

I would also try to install the older chipset drivers just to see if the new ones are the issue or not. 

If even that didn't work then I would try 1usmus power plan (Google it) 

Can this damage the cpu or anything ? I'am maybe just gonna leave it like that

11 minutes ago, BidonDx said:

Can this damage the cpu or anything ? I'am maybe just gonna leave it like that

no