My mother board dose not have a 24 pin power connector. It has a 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power.

I have recently decided to upgrade a prebuilt computer containing a i7-4770 Intel CPU, without a graphics card to a one with a RTX 2060 SUPER. And upgrade the PSU to a Thermaltake SMART 600 80 PLUS. 

Problem (Question more like):

My Mother board is a Dell Optiplex E 93839. It has a 8 pin conector which i can make with 2 of the 4 pin connectors from the power supply which is no problem at all. But the CPU power connector is a 4 pin one, and I have already used up all my 4 pin connectors to make the 8 pin. Luckyly the 24 pin connector is a 20+4 pin. So I can easily detach the 4 pin from that and use it. But the problem is can I? I have a 6+2 pin power for my 8 pin power GPU. 

In the second image you can clearly see the 4 pin connector next to the cooler.

In the 3rd image on the bottom left close to the left edge of the mother board you can see the 8 pin connector for component power.Next to the SATA connectors

Dont judge my ghetto drive cut out to fit my graphics card, Linus style, JPEG_20200113_214007.thumb.jpg.c411c6be7dbb27707ef4defa39f9b66e.jpgI am getting a new case soon anyways. 

20200115_075851.jpg

JPEG_20200114_164022.jpg

JPEG_20200113_214007.jpg

Edited by busiedcomb18

Yeah... gonna get to the point with this... Dell Optiplexes are not designed to be upgraded. Many of their parts are proprietary. The board is not ATX, therefore the connectors are wired differently. The CPU is often locked by dell to prevent upgrades even if the mobo chipset allows it. You would be better off building with cheap parts than trying to mess with this, and potentially ruining something.

CPU | Ryzen 7 2700X MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (not my proudest buy but it was on sale at the time) RAM3200mhz Trident Z 16GB GPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 CaseLian Li 011 Air Storage500GB NVME for boot, 1TB storage, x3 3TB in raid 5 for long term storage PSUThermaltake Toughpower Grand Display(s)240hz 1080p Asus display, 4k cheap display from korea Cooling | Enermax LIQFusion 240mm Keyboard(s) | White fox w/ NK Creams( lubed with 205g0) and DSA Nerd Keycaps
, Tofu (e-white) w/ Hako Royal Purples (lubed with 104g0) and GMK Olivia, TGR Alice w/ Nixies (lubed with 205g0), Switch Coulture Alice w/ C3 Tangerines (lubed with 205g0) waiting for DSA Magic Girl, HHKB Pro 2, Leopold FC660C MiceGlorious Model O, Zowie Divina EC1-B, Logitech MX Master

No, you can't use the 4 pin connector from the 20+4 to power the cpu.

The 4 pin cpu connector has 2 GND + 2 12V wires.  The 4 pin in 20+4 has 1 12v + 1 3.3v + 1 5v + GND ... if you force it in you'll short the 12v to ground or to one of the other voltages and you'll damage the psu.

Search for adapter cables for your Dell /// you should be able to find an adapter cable that converts your 8+4 to 24+4 / 8 the 4 pin cpu connector should be compatible with either EPS 8 pin or ATX cpu power.

You could also try to figure out the pinout of that custom connector and cut the cable from old psu and connect it to your new power supply.

A multimeter would work for that, and you may also have on the circuit board in the power supply text describing role of each wire. (ex power supply stand by power, ps-on , power ok etc )

You're going to have to create custom cabling for your new PSU, and it is not as simple as just taking 4 pins off of the 20 pin (might not be electrically compatible).  You are going to have to find a wiring diagram of the motherboard (i.e. what voltage each individual pin in) and a wiring diagram of your PSU, and then individually solder each wire.  After that you'll need to check each wire with a multimeter, because if you get one wrong you could brick the whole system.  If you don't have a fair bit of electronics knowledge then just don't even attempt.

There is a chance that you can find an adapter online.  If not maybe a new mobo is in order.

20 minutes ago, Tiona said:

Yeah... gonna get to the point with this... Dell Optiplexes are not designed to be upgraded. Many of their parts are proprietary. The board is not ATX, therefore the connectors are wired differently. The CPU is often locked by dell to prevent upgrades even if the mobo chipset allows it. You would be better off building with cheap parts than trying to mess with this, and potentially ruining something.

But its just a graphics card though Im not adding any cpu upgrade. And what you said on that they are not ATX. If I get a Mid ATX tower will it still fir in there. I am hoping to get one. If not I can always buy a new motherboard.

17 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

You're going to have to create custom cabling for your new PSU, and it is not as simple as just taking 4 pins off of the 20 pin (might not be electrically compatible).  You are going to have to find a wiring diagram of the motherboard (i.e. what voltage each individual pin in) and a wiring diagram of your PSU, and then individually solder each wire.  After that you'll need to check each wire with a multimeter, because if you get one wrong you could brick the whole system.  If you don't have a fair bit of electronics knowledge then just don't even attempt.

There is a chance that you can find an adapter online.  If not maybe a new mobo is in order.

The 24 pin connector is a 20+4. And the manufacturer says thar the 4 pin can be taken off.

6e522de2-4a76-4711-9677-6f08dfd0b3a8.jpg

5 minutes ago, busiedcomb18 said:

The 24 pin connector is a 20+4. And the manufacturer says thar the 4 pin can be taken off.

If you're just putting the 20 pin in that is fine.  I thought you meant then use the 4pin from the  24 pin for CPU power

Yes, but the 4 pin on the 20+4  has different purpose than the 4 pin on your motherboard.

Also the shape of the holes are probably different so you won't be able to plug it in without force.

The 4pin CAN be taken off, to make the psu usable with older systems that used the ATX 20 pin connector (think pentium 2 and pentium 3 times). The 4 pin addition adds a 12v wire which raises the number of 12v wires to 2 ... which is good because 12v is used by fans and pci-e slots in modern computers and a single 12v wire is not enough.

Old motherboards used 5v to power the cpu and as you can see there's plenty of 5v in the connector, 4 wires (and the ground wires) in the 20pin part.

image.png.28626cf41beb619e1a097f9aea1bc4e9.png

2 minutes ago, busiedcomb18 said:

But its just a graphics card though Im not adding any cpu upgrade. And what you said on that they are not ATX. If I get a Mid ATX tower will it still fir in there. I am hoping to get one. If not I can always buy a new motherboard.

I have never tried to fit a optiplex mobo in a ATX case. So I wouldn't know. The reason I mentioned the cpu thing is cause in the end it's likely going to bottle neck even if you were to get it working, and that there is not upgrade path.

CPU | Ryzen 7 2700X MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (not my proudest buy but it was on sale at the time) RAM3200mhz Trident Z 16GB GPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 CaseLian Li 011 Air Storage500GB NVME for boot, 1TB storage, x3 3TB in raid 5 for long term storage PSUThermaltake Toughpower Grand Display(s)240hz 1080p Asus display, 4k cheap display from korea Cooling | Enermax LIQFusion 240mm Keyboard(s) | White fox w/ NK Creams( lubed with 205g0) and DSA Nerd Keycaps
, Tofu (e-white) w/ Hako Royal Purples (lubed with 104g0) and GMK Olivia, TGR Alice w/ Nixies (lubed with 205g0), Switch Coulture Alice w/ C3 Tangerines (lubed with 205g0) waiting for DSA Magic Girl, HHKB Pro 2, Leopold FC660C MiceGlorious Model O, Zowie Divina EC1-B, Logitech MX Master

9 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

If you're just putting the 20 pin in that is fine.  I thought you meant then use the 4pin from the  24 pin for CPU power

Sorry for not being so clear. I have a 8 pin connector on the mother board and a 4 pin connector for cpu power like in the images. I was going to plug in the two 4 pins togater as an 8 pin, brw i dont have to force them in they go in with ease as if they are supposed to. So i would take off the 4 pin off the 24 pin and use the 4 pin as cpu power.

12 minutes ago, Tiona said:

I have never tried to fit a optiplex mobo in a ATX case. So I wouldn't know. The reason I mentioned the cpu thing is cause in the end it's likely going to bottle neck even if you were to get it working, and that there is not upgrade path.

I have researched for some time on the combination of an i7 4770 togather with a rtx 2060 super and its close to a 8 percent bottle neck which may seem a lot but its not a big issue because i can upgrade again later.

1 hour ago, busiedcomb18 said:

So i would take off the 4 pin off the 24 pin and use the 4 pin as cpu power.

Yeah this would fry your mobo

8 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Yeah this would fry your mobo

You actually kinda saved my life. But I still have doubts since my friend has a similar mother board with the 8 pin and 4 pin power and he also uses this technique and works.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Bruh, you're the one trying to mod an Optiplex which is the epitome of junkyard wars. Bye.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

20 hours ago, asand1 said:

Bruh, you're the one trying to mod an Optiplex which is the epitome of junkyard wars. Bye.

Bru

Even in junk yard wars they dont spend 33 dolars in shipping

and im not trying to mod it anymore if you read the posts before you would know