Color setup for a TV?

captain_cereal_hands

So I won a 50" 4K TV. It's a Samsung 50NU6900. I figure it was free why not use it. My computer monitor now is a failing 27" 1080p 60Hz display and I figure I could wall mount the TV as a secondary monitor for my pc but I wanna calibrate the color right. I wanna get the most out of it.

My question is how to I go about calibrating the TV to get the most out of it.

Also I only have a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card so I'm hoping that it would be able to support both displays.

TVs are extremely complicated and they never name the image settings properly.

There are no shortcuts, either learn exactly what all the settings do, ore hire a TV calibrater.

colorimeter

40 minutes ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

So I won a 50" 4K TV. It's a Samsung 50NU6900. I figure it was free why not use it. My computer monitor now is a failing 27" 1080p 60Hz display and I figure I could wall mount the TV as a secondary monitor for my pc but I wanna calibrate the color right. I wanna get the most out of it.

My question is how to I go about calibrating the TV to get the most out of it.

Also I only have a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card so I'm hoping that it would be able to support both displays.

For PC use its relatively easy, though will require you to spend some money, thankfully what u spend will be useful for all displays u own.

You will want to buy a colorimeter, like a X-rite i1 Display Pro or DataColor SpyderX Pro. They should be in the region of $100 to $200.

Once u have it u should use the freeware DisplayCAL software , not the included manufacturer software, and then calibrate the TV using ur PC. The software will create a ICC profile for the Display, that profile is part of the Windows OS. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to use the software. It isnt hard, its automatic for the most part, takes about 30minutes if u use the faster X-Rite colorimeter.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

24 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

colorimeter

For PC use its relatively easy, though will require you to spend some money, thankfully what u spend will be useful for all displays u own.

You will want to buy a colorimeter, like a X-rite i1 Display Pro or DataColor SpyderX Pro. They should be in the region of $100 to $200.

Once u have it u should use the freeware DisplayCAL software , not the included manufacturer software, and then calibrate the TV using ur PC. The software will create a ICC profile for the Display, that profile is part of the Windows OS. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to use the software. It isnt hard, its automatic for the most part, takes about 30minutes if u use the faster X-Rite colorimeter.

I have been looking at buying a colormeter son I have it for all my displays. I think I will go that route. Just never knew really what kind of one to get so thanks. Since I am gonna use it attached to my PC anyways.