Refresh rate of 2-monitor setup

Hello,

I have a 60 Hz monitor, but will soon upgrade to a 165 Hz monitor (G-Sync-compatible) and keep the old one as second screen.

Unfortunately I heard that using both monitors would lower the refresh rate of the better monitor to match the 60 Hz monitor.

I'd play games on the 165 Hz monitor in fullscreen while Discord, Youtube, Twitch or Chrome would be on the second screen.

How could I fix that or do I really need two 165 Hz monitors?

The both would use their own refresh rate.
Just like resolution it is NOT linked when using multiple monitors!

The person that told you is either ignorant or a troll.
You just connect your new monitor, set it as main then if needed change refresh to desired and voila done.

Many have done so including me. So there's actual proof it works.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

Unfortunately I heard that using both monitors would lower the refresh rate of the better monitor to match the 60 Hz monitor.

Where did you hear this?  This isn't true.

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

You just connect your new monitor, set it as main then if needed change refresh to desired and voila done.

That's great to hear.

3 minutes ago, Haas_ said:

I got it from reddit.

6 minutes ago, Haas_ said:

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

There is an issue with it when using adaptive refresh rate like GSync for example on the 165Hz and playing video on the 60Hz, it often happened that Windows had no idea what to set priority to and it ran the game at 60FPS. 

I had this issue for year myself. Its a lot better now than it used to be. Windows was at fault there though, since several updates it has been prety much fixed but you can still encounter some issues from time to time.

However using FullScreen always worked just fine, this issue always only happened when game was runing in Windowed/Borderless mode.

Just now, WereCat said:

There is an issue with it when using adaptive refresh rate like GSync for example on the 165Hz and playing video on the 60Hz, it often happened that Windows had no idea what to set priority to and it ran the game at 60FPS. 

I had this issue for year myself. Its a lot better now than it used to be. Windows was at fault there though, since several updates it has been prety much fixed but you can still encounter some issues from time to time.

However using FullScreen always worked just fine, this issue always only happened when game was runing in Windowed/Borderless mode.

Thank you for sharing, i did not know about the adaptvie refresh stuff as im not using that. (Also why i did not mention it).

12 minutes ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

That's great to hear.

I got it from reddit.

Just like youtube 90% on reddit is bullshit.

edit im not saying that that post is BS, it can be part of the 10% ;)

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

That's interesting.  My primary display is a 144Hz GSYNC and I've never encountered this before.  Then again I only very rarely run games in (Borderless) Windowed mode so that'll likely be why I haven't noticed it.  I want to test this when I get the chance :)

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Thank you very much :)

Well Windows has a lot of issues, I'm glad that they fixed (most of) it.

I'll always use Fullscreen for games, since I want to use my full monitor (obviously) so I guess I won't encounter an issue while gaming.

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I'm still taking it with a pinch of salt, but what he is saying seems quite credible.

OP, this isn't that big of a problem as long as you run games in full screen.

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Absolutely true, but not limited to youtube and reddit.

Imo facebook is at least as bad as youtube and I have the impression that reddit is a bit better, but "idiots" are everywhere.

1 minute ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

Thank you very much :)

Well Windows has a lot of issues, I'm glad that they fixed (most of) it.

I'll always use Fullscreen for games, since I want to use my full monitor (obviously) so I guess I won't encounter an issue while gaming.

Windows borderless is just as fullscreen fyi, its just anothwer way of doing it.

I prefer windowed borderless since using multiple monitors and i dont want my mouse stuck on jsut the 1 monitor. (altho even with that setting many games that need the mouse keep it on the screen but as soon as there is a menu i can just mouse ove to other monitor which is heaven compared to the shiotty implementation of fullscreen gaming which need ALT_TAB and minimizes so nothing is shown anymore, very annoying.)

1 minute ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

Absolutely true, but not limited to youtube and reddit.

Imo facebook is at least as bad as youtube and I have the impression that reddit is a bit better, but "idiots" are everywhere.

Lol Facebook, on there its more like 99% bullshit and 100% ignorant morons. hahaha
But yeah totaly agree on that last part, "Idiots everywhere"!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Windows borderless is just as fullscreen fyi, its just anothwer way of doing it.

I prefer windowed borderless since using multiple monitors and i dont want my mouse stuck on jsut the 1 monitor. (altho even with that setting many games that need the mouse keep it on the screen but as soon as there is a menu i can just mouse ove to other monitor which is heaven compared to the shiotty implementation of fullscreen gaming which need ALT_TAB and minimizes so nothing is shown anymore, very annoying.)

Well that's true, but I'm used to that :D