Teaming two CAT6 cable connections?

binar

Greetings,

PC#1 is a Window7 RAID6 array system with 20TB of data on it. PC#2 is an UnRAID system that has a 50TB capacity. My goal is to transfer all 20TB over to the new 50TB UnRAID PC the fastest way possible. Additionally, both PCs have dual Ethernet ports. Does connecting both PCs with two CAT6 cable connections in between them result in faster transfer speeds compared to only  using a single CAT6 cable? How is teaming both CAT6 cable connections done? Is it done in the Windows7 OS? Or is it setup in the BIOS for both PCs?  Lastly, does teaming both CAT6 cable connections require I use a router in both computers? In other words, both computers connect directly to the Router and not directly to each other.  I would greatly appreciate it a lot if somebody that knows how to best network to computers together for optimum data transfer speeds can contribute to this post.  

In windows 7 you need to do it in the driver, there is no teaming in the os.

You can do it without a router, router is l3, teaming is l2

If you can run windows 10, you can use smb3, which would be better than teming here, and fill the speed of both links.

If I'm not mistaken NIC Teaming won't work here because it works under the principal of Load Balancing. If you start a file transfer it'll only use one interface. If a second user were to start a transfer it would use the other. A similar technology is Link Aggregation or LACP.

As mentioned above you'd want a means to split the load of a single user /session across the two interfaces (a router is not required, it can be done P2P with Static IP addresses) and as stated SMB3 has had a function known as Multichannel that does just that. Windows 10 has it. I don't know about Windows 7, and assuming UnRAID uses SAMBA it SHOULD be possible to enable though a config file somewhere.

Realistically though the time it'll take you to figure it out you would probably been able to transfer the data over a single 10Gbit link. Not to mention you would probably not see a full 2GB/s nor sustain high speeds at all with small files.

Thank you Windows7ge and Electronics Wizardry for your postings. I found them to be very informative. I have decided to kill the idea relating to teaming up two CAT6 cables. It seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

Using a single CAT6 cable between both computers is the approach I am going to take. I would appreciate a lot if anybody in this community can clarify for me how do I get my Windows7 to recognize share folders from my UnRAID server? Do two computers linked together by a single CAT6 cable require I setup a network in Windows7? Or is just the act of connecting both computers mean I will automatically get both machines to recognize each other. Again, my goal is to transfer 20TB of data over to my UnRAID PC and it is not 100% clear to me how I get my WIndows7 PC to show me share folders residing in my UnRAID PC.

Lastly, what is the best copy utility one can use to migrate a lot of data? I am considering Robocopy. But I am curious to know if there are any better option out there I should consider.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.