Cat5e And Some Cat6 Cable Deals On Amazon

nick name
5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I like to buy beer at the store and take it to a buddies house to drink. Cheaper. The bars in my area have stupid prices. Easily double or more what I'd pay for a bottle at any store that sells alcohol.

He was on, saw him post a Status Update. He's cool IMO so I'll chuck it up to he's busy or the notification got lost in a swarm of other notifications.

Yeah, I haven't actually been to the bar in a year now.  Pretty proud of that.  However, I used to always be in 'em.  

And he seems like a very reasonable guy.  I usually only interact with mods after I say something stupid.  I'm what some might call . . . an idiot.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 minutes ago, nick name said:

Yeah, I haven't actually been to the bar in a year now.  Pretty proud of that.  However, I used to always be in 'em.  

And he seems like a very reasonable guy.  I usually only interact with mods after I say something stupid.  I'm what some might call . . . an idiot.  

I know people who are but I'll only ever go to em with a friend. Most of the time we prefer to drink in private but I want to get him out to this one place called Funkin Waffles. It's beer, indie bands, and waffles. Trying to get a time down with him to go.

He was (i think) the 2nd or 3rd person to follow me. He's always been helpful. And would an idiot be capable of finding a 2 for 1 deal on Ethernet cables this cheap? I think not. This possibly wouldn't be a bad way of getting stranded core bulk riser cable. Just snip the ends off and cut to any length you need as many as you need.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I know people who are but I'll only ever go to em with a friend. Most of the time we prefer to drink in private but I want to get him out to this one place called Funkin Waffles. It's beer, indie bands, and waffles. Trying to get a time down with him to go.

He was (i think) the 2nd or 3rd person to follow me. He's always been helpful. And would an idiot be capable of finding a 2 for 1 deal on Ethernet cables this cheap? I think not. This possibly wouldn't be a bad way of getting stranded core bulk riser cable. Just snip the ends off and cut to any length you need as many as you need.

Yeah, the cables seem as if they were meant to be used in a more commercial environment as they come in a good number of colors and a bunch of sizes.  And the connectors are booted.  

516NlZrWlTL._SL1000_.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

@Windows7ge A few cables came in today.  They outer sleeving(?) feels good enough and it isn't at all loose around the cables within.  I also cannot feel any individual cables or movement of them within the sleeving(?).  The connectors also feel solid.  The only odd thing is they are 24 AWG, but feel more narrow than any of the other cables I have.  I'd imagine that would be a plus when using them in a patch panel or other cable crowded device, but I don't have a real idea if it's good or bad yet.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

@Windows7ge A few cables came in today.  They outer sleeving(?) feels good enough and it isn't at all loose around the cables within.  I also cannot feel any individual cables or movement of them within the sleeving(?).  The connectors also feel solid.  The only odd thing is they are 24 AWG, but feel more narrow than any of the other cables I have.  I'd imagine that would be a plus when using them in a patch panel or other cable crowded device, but I don't have a real idea if it's good or bad yet.  

It could be thinner insulation on the inner wires. Some cables use a plastic insert to separate the pairs too:

f04b966e-ab42-49c1-b577-12725fa383c3_1.2fbbfa6da69f29ac1943d21e7f722b21.thumb.jpeg.2d96d0e5aeb3186f93ddfc5c5c9f4e61.jpeg

In all likelihood it lacks this but for 1Gbit networking at any distance it's really not a requirement.

You found yourself a good deal. They sound solid.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It could be thinner insulation on the inner wires. Some cables use a plastic insert to separate the pairs too:

f04b966e-ab42-49c1-b577-12725fa383c3_1.2fbbfa6da69f29ac1943d21e7f722b21.thumb.jpeg.2d96d0e5aeb3186f93ddfc5c5c9f4e61.jpeg

In all likelihood it lacks this but for 1Gbit networking at any distance it's really not a requirement.

You found yourself a good deal. They sound solid.

Yeah, I was hoping to figure out what was causing a run that goes from the router > exterior of the house > around half the house > back inside to a switch > is only running at 100Mbit but the new cables didn't get it performing as it should.  I'm about to go outside and check what that cable is though I'm 98% sure it's Cat5e.  

Wait, the installer may have used that cable for both data and VOIP.  Does that sound right to you?

4 hours ago, nick name said:

Yeah, I was hoping to figure out what was causing a run that goes from the router > exterior of the house > around half the house > back inside to a switch > is only running at 100Mbit but the new cables didn't get it performing as it should.  I'm about to go outside and check what that cable is though I'm 98% sure it's Cat5e.  

Wait, the installer may have used that cable for both data and VOIP.  Does that sound right to you?

A lot of ISPs today have VoIP bundled in their Modem/Routers or have a standalone unit you connect to a switch. It should run at 1Gbit unless you've daisychained a device off the IP phone. In that case it may only be 100Mbit.

What determines 100Mbit vs 1Gbit in a network cable is weather four wires or all 8 wires have been used. If a wire breaks it may report as 100Mbit as well. I'd use a cable tester and make sure all 8 wires are good.

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

A lot of ISPs today have VoIP bundled in their Modem/Routers or have a standalone unit you connect to a switch. It should run at 1Gbit unless you've daisychained a device off the IP phone. In that case it may only be 100Mbit.

What determines 100Mbit vs 1Gbit in a network cable is weather four wires or all 8 wires have been used. If a wire breaks it may report as 100Mbit as well. I'd use a cable tester and make sure all 8 wires are good.

Yeah, I've checked the box that leads out of the house and two cables go in and one cable comes out.  

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

Yeah, I've checked the box that leads out of the house and two cables go in and one cable comes out.  

What box?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

What box?

It was installed to facilitate passing the cable from inside the house to outside.  It's an interior box with two jacks (RJ45 and a RJ11(?) ).  And the cable that spans the exterior of the house is connected to both jacks.  Then a similar box is in the other room where the line re-enters.    

It was something I thought I could solve because I forgot the solution that was deployed during installation.  

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

It was installed to facilitate passing the cable from inside the house to outside.  It's an interior box with two jacks (RJ45 and a RJ11(?) ).  And the cable that spans the exterior of the house is connected to both jacks.  Then a similar box is in the other room where the line re-enters.    

It was something I thought I could solve because I forgot the solution that was deployed during installation.  

Are you sure it's VoIP then? RJ-11 isn't for VoIP. Is this box electrically powered? Does it have a model number? They may have just spliced the two cables together to pass 100Mbit Ethernet and normal phone over to the other room.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Are you sure it's VoIP then? RJ-11 isn't for VoIP. Is this box electrically powered? Does it have a model number? They may have just spliced the two cables together to pass 100Mbit Ethernet and normal phone over to the other room.

Yeah, it's RJ11.  And the that leads back out isn't powered.  It's just a generic box that you can attach a face plate too.  And I'm calling it VoIP because the phone line is handled by the modem/router.  It's an assumption on my part so I could very well be wrong.  

But yeah, the tech spliced the cables together so he didn't have to run two exterior cables.

16 minutes ago, nick name said:

Yeah, it's RJ11.  And the that leads back out isn't powered.  It's just a generic box that you can attach a face plate too.  And I'm calling it VoIP because the phone line is handled by the modem/router.  It's an assumption on my part so I could very well be wrong.  

But yeah, the tech spliced the cables together so he didn't have to run two exterior cables.

VoIP is when your phone service comes for an Ethernet/IP network. The ISP may provide phone over their fiber or Coax network but it's not VoIP on your end if you connect a RJ-11 cable to your Modem/Router.

Then that line is only going to be 100Mbit. You won't get 1Gbit out of it. I take it the guy didn't tell you that when he did the mod.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

VoIP is when your phone service comes for an Ethernet/IP network. The ISP may provide phone over their fiber or Coax network but it's not VoIP on your end if you connect a RJ-11 cable to your Modem/Router.

Then that line is only going to be 100Mbit. You won't get 1Gbit out of it. I take it the guy didn't tell you that when he did the mod.

No, he did.  My dumb ass just forgot.  

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

No, he did.  My dumb ass just forgot.  

Well, you can run another cable or you can sacrifice the phone and re-wire the keystone jack with all 8 wires on both ends. Whichever is more important.

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Well, you can run another cable or you can sacrifice the phone and re-wire the keystone jack with all 8 wires on both ends. Whichever is more important.

No, I made the decision that the reduced bandwidth was fine for that location when the installer asked.  It was just that I forgot about it like an idiot.

Going back to cable quality -- the Cat6 cables I ordered came in and they are noticeably thicker and sturdier.  Not unmanageable thick -- just a little more robust.   

1 hour ago, nick name said:

Going back to cable quality -- the Cat6 cables I ordered came in and they are noticeably thicker and sturdier.  Not unmanageable thick -- just a little more robust. 

That would be because each twisted pair has more twists per inch. That may also be the plastic separator I mentioned before. Sound like good quality cheap cables.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That would be because each twisted pair has more twists per inch. That may also be the plastic separator I mentioned before. Sound like good quality cheap cables.

I'm pleased so far.  The fun thing is that the twist ties they use match the cable color.  Playful attention to detail.