Need suggestion

ocinManus

I am a student of computer science. I want to be a software developer in future. so that i want to work from now to build my career.
as far i know to be a software developer i have to learn programming,so what should i do? do problem solving ? or learn language for build up real life project?
and which language will be great?

i have a little idea on c and java (not much)

go to college

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

go to college

mentioned I am a student :)

5 minutes ago, ocinManus said:

mentioned I am a student :)

you didn't specify what kind of student ?‍♂️ if you're in college for computer science just focus on your exams, they'll teach you what you need to know

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Read books related to the topic. Books like:

1 hour ago, ocinManus said:

I am a student of computer science. I want to be a software developer in future. so that i want to work from now to build my career.
as far i know to be a software developer i have to learn programming,so what should i do? do problem solving ? or learn language for build up real life project?

If you are in school then I would suggest a course that focuses on design patterns for object oriented programming.  When I was in grad school I took a course like this and had to develop a traffic simulator using these patterns.  It was extremely difficult, but eventually it all started clicking in my head how patterns worked together.  I was a better programmer after taking than one course than any other course I had taken getting my Masters degree.  

My advice would be to pick a project and build something. It doesn't have to be something unique that nobody has done before, but it works best if it's something that you actually want to have, so that you are motivated to work on it - something like a todo list that has exactly the features you want can be a good option, but there are loads of possibilities.

If you only have a little bit of experience, I would recommend sticking to one of the languages that you have done already. The things you learn from working on a project will be applicable to most languages, and it's much more valuable to get to a reasonable standard in one language than it is to be a beginner in a bunch. Later on, picking a project is a great way to learn a new language, although I would say not until you have experienced some intermediate level programming stuff.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, ocinManus said:

Well, what exactly are you interested in?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

18 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Well, what exactly are you interested in?

programming . and aim is to be a software developer

Just now, ocinManus said:

Perhaps we have a miscommunication here. I mean, what other things are you interested in that might relate to programming?

Perhaps you've studied how processors work at a relatively in-depth level. Or perhaps you like physics. Maybe you like making things interactive.

Those kind of things. Programming is a huge field: There are project opportunities that use computer programming in virtually every other subject or field that exists. Perhaps if we knew what your other interests are in this area, we might be able to suggest some good beginner projects that relate to them and will set you off on the right path towards learning what you actually want to learn.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Start  writing code to solve problems in your life any language will do, The lower level you go the better you ill understand. I had a new grad student with a couple of weeks and nothing to do and thought he would learn C. With a good background in Assembler he was able to do almost any thing he wanted. He ended up as mover and shaker in the design and building of  controls and logging for horizonal drilling in the oilfield. 

Experience  ithe road that take you where you want to be get any way you can. Try to get paid for your time if you can, but good experience is worth more than money where you stand now. Find a project, define the problem, write specifications then a plan to make it happen and fill in the blanks and make it work. ...rinse and repeat .....

An Ardwino, Raspberry Pi or yet another address book in Visual Basic all are fine. Just design different well planed project and make the happen over and over again. 

Look around campus and find  people needing help on thing you think you would like doing and pitch in as soon as you can. Add computer programming as soon as its good enough to work. Any work history is better than none.

experain

On 1/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, ocinManus said:

That is a bit broad though.  What kind of software do you want to develop?  Web?  Desktop?  Embedded?  Mobile?  Cloud?  Too many to list really.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, TopherMan said:

That is a bit broad though.  What kind of software do you want to develop?  Web?  Desktop?  Embedded?  Mobile?  Cloud?  Too many to list really.

Desktop , Mobile

On 1/20/2020 at 2:12 AM, Erik Sieghart said:

I know CS programs like to split up things by "Web, Embedded, Cloud" etc as overly broad categories but these are, in general, not what you're going to see in advertisements. I'll give you the general scope of why by breaking it down. 

Not really. A CS program may not even teach these things. The only things all CS programs have in common is that they teach data structures, alogrithms, computational theory, discrete mathematics, calculus/linear algebra, plus one object oriented language like Java or C++ and then software engineering as a senior capstone course. Everything else are up to the program directors and the school. If you are enroll in polytechnic university, the "everything else" are going to be electives that focus on practical application like database design while in research universities, they will mostly be more theory classes like AI and whatnots. 

Good CS schools usually have varieties of courses that teach both theories and applications and left students to decide on the electives to specialize. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, ocinManus said:

I've gone back and forth over the years, but I still think that C/C++ is a great starting point for any developer.  I don't think the majority of people should go hardcore into developing with it (unless you're particular field calls for it) but I can say that many mistakes I see people make in higher level languages tend to stem from not understanding what's happening behind the scenes.

Two great projects I think for anyone starting off in C/C++ to help learn are

1. Writing a function to parse an integer from a String
  2. Writing your own String class

To be clear, I am NOT saying you should use your versions of those in production code, but writing those from scratch will teach you a lot.

Having experience in multiple languages will help you out a lot.  The next language I would recommend learning is JavaScript, both because it's a great introduction to scripting languages, and it's the de facto* standard for client side programming and web programming.  Additionally all you need to start learning it is a web browser and text editor (I recommend Notepad++).

Once you get familiar the basics of Javascript down, a great project to get yourself more familiar (and which is also a very realistic to the type of work you will do as a web developer) is to find some online service that has a Web API, and write code to interface with it.

Additionally, one of the most important things that I cannot state strongly enough is: Read.  The F@$#ing.  Documentation.  I cannot stand developers who insist on trying to do everything from memory.  Find sites that have the standard for your language, or documentation for whatever library you're working with.  Sites like W3Schools or CPlusPlus.com are great, because not only do they teach you, but also document many of the aspects of the language as well.

Finding the documentation should always be the first thing you do in any project.

* Yes, I know. Technically it's the de jure standard in this case.

Make stuff in your spare time. 

Edit:

youtube is great for getting started in advanced topics you haven’t started. Makes those classes easier too.