Ryzen 7 3800x 8c 16t 3.9GHz Base, 4.5 Turbo

Aorus X570 Pro Wifi (BIOS F11)

2x16GB Corsair Vengance RGB 3200MHz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super x3 Fan

1TB Silicon Power m.2 SSD

480GB Patriot Burst 2.5" SSD

2x1TB HDD's

650W Corsair CX650M

My cpu is for some reason stuck at 4.2-4.35 GHz and will not lower or boost to a higher clock no matter what workload I throw at it.

I have reset my cmos due to an issue where i could not enter bios with multiple displays connected.

I have changed my power plan back to Balanced. I have no overclock enabled. My cpu also drops to 38 Deg C when at 3.2GHz and then goes up to 3.35GHz and reaches 45 Deg C

Please help :)

CPU.PNG.091fee0520fe29396bc006344a209b7e.PNG

Have you tried going into Ryzen master and enabling the default profile? To "Reset" it? Does your BIOS look stock?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Interesting... In ryzen master I'm seeing a peak speed of 1100MHz at idle but only 4.16GHz when hitting the cpu with cinnebench. I'm also now on the latest bios version

The Windows Task Manager (as well as Aida64) seem to report false values. I've got the exact same issues while Ryzen Master does report the correct frequency.

Take a look at the attached screenshot. Only the frequency reported by Ryzen Master looks reasonable to me, Task Manager and Aida64 simply report nonsense.

Screenshot - 03_01.jpg

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

Weird. Seems to be 3800x early adopters but I was not having this issue at launch of 3rd generation. 

Probably happened during a windows 10 update and I never noticed it. Although measuring in ryzen master I saw that my cpu only reached 4.2GHz while running Cinnebench. 

Are you reaching your as advertised boost clocks? 

Rarely. I've seen 4500 MHz on some occasions but it usually only goes up to 4400 MHz despite the 200 MHz boost overdrive applied in the UEFI. If I do CPU heavy work like photo editing and exporting the CPU normally runs at around 4300 MHz.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:46 PM, DiegoDaSilva said:

My cpu is for some reason stuck at 4.2-4.35 GHz and will not lower or boost to a higher clock no matter what workload I throw at it.

I have reset my cmos due to an issue where i could not enter bios with multiple displays connected.

I have changed my power plan back to Balanced. I have no overclock enabled. My cpu also drops to 38 Deg C when at 3.2GHz and then goes up to 3.35GHz and reaches 45 Deg C

Did you set and adjust your power plan, I had similar behavior before I set my power plan to (AMD Ryzen Balanced), then went into (change plan settings) and adjusted the minimum and maximum processor state in (Processor power management), now my idle is at 2.2Ghz with the temps in the low 30's.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 hour ago, DiegoDaSilva said:

Are you reaching your as advertised boost clocks? 

Yes, but only in tasks that don't utilize all the cores on my 2600x.

System specs below

Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

It does idle at around 2000 MHz, it's the task manager and other tools that report false values. Ryzen Master on the other hand reports correct frequencies.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, DiegoDaSilva said:

Please help :)

What are you using to monitor the frequencies? 

In other words how do you know it's "stuck"?

You aren't using task manager,  are you?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

45 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Did you set and adjust your power plan, I had similar behavior before I set my power plan to (AMD Ryzen Balanced), then went into (change plan settings) and adjusted the minimum and maximum processor state in (Processor power management), now my idle is at 2.2Ghz with the temps in the low 30's.

I would not do that. The Ryzen power plan deliberately sets a minimum of 99 % to disable the Windows down clock mechanism. Ryzen CPUs come with their own built in down clock mechanism which is much more responsive than the Windows one. You can see that the CPU actually reduces clock speeds by checking idle frequencies using Ryzen Master.

Just now, oeci said:

I would not do that. The Ryzen power plan deliberately sets a minimum of 99 % to disable the Windows down clock mechanism. Ryzen CPUs come with their own built in down clock mechanism which is much more responsive than the Windows one. You can see that the CPU actually reduces clock speeds by checking idle frequencies using Ryzen Master.

Actually to me knowledge - I'd have to dig it up to be 100% certain - you're now supposed to use "windows balanced". 

There's also a strong indication for that because my latest chipset drivers did not install any "ryzen" power plans anymore. 

I then installed them manually and tested it,  I got throughout better results with Windows balanced in any and all tests and benchmarks,  and also games. 

You need to be on Windows 1909 and latest BIOS / chipset drivers for this to work tho...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, MadAnt250 said:

set my power plan to (AMD Ryzen Balanced), then went into (change plan settings) and adjusted the minimum and maximum processor state in

I would be really curious to know to what you set it, because there's precise information about that for Ryzen 3000 series?

And also what's your idle voltage at?

Edit: ah I see you're on 2600, might be different with 2000 series,  it's a specific issue to 3000 series afaik 

Still, idle voltages would be interesting to know... :o

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, oeci said:

6 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

(change plan settings) and adjusted the minimum and maximum processor state in (Processor power management)

Max 100% and Min 5%

Edit: Never mind, 3000 series could be different.

System specs below

6 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Max 100% and Min 5%

This is how you're supposed to set it for 3000 series - and *only* if the auto downclocking doesn't work 

Spoiler

As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually to me knowledge - I'd have to dig it up to be 100% certain - you're now supposed to use "windows balanced". 

There's also a strong indication for that because my latest chipset drivers did not install any "ryzen" power plans anymore. 

I then installed them manually and tested it,  I got throughout better results with Windows balanced in any and all tests and benchmarks,  and also games. 

You need to be on Windows 1909 and latest BIOS / chipset drivers for this to work tho...

Hmmm, the info I gathered for my setup is older, perhaps the 3000 series could be different.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And also what's your idle voltage at?

0.8 give or take

System specs below

15 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Hmmm, the info I gathered for my setup is older, perhaps the 3000 series could be different.

0.8 give or take

Yeah, 2000 series doesn't have this issue... And 0.8 is fine too. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That

39 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Beg your pardon but that's not true. 2 days ago I updated the chipset of my Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming mainboard with the latest chipset drivers from AMDs website. During the installation process a Window popped up explicitly mentioning the installation of the Ryzen power plan. Did you download your chipset drivers from the mainboard manufacturer's website? The are usually outdated.

The online information is kind of misleading (sometimes even contradicting) and the latest official statement from AMD I found dates back to 2017. But apparently (based on various threads in different forums, mostly reddit) the current situation seems the be the following: For Ryzen first and second gen. you can use the Windows balanced power plan without sacrificing performance. But for Ryzen 3 the usage of the AMD balanced power plan is still recommended. That's at least what I was able to dig up.

I'll send AMDs tech support an e-mail asking them for first hand information to clarify the situation.

7 minutes ago, oeci said:

That

Beg your pardon but that's not true. 2 days ago I updated the chipset of my Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming mainboard with the latest chipset drivers from AMDs website. During the installation process a Window popped up explicitly mentioning the installation of the Ryzen power plan. Did you download your chipset drivers from the mainboard manufacturer's website? The are usually outdated.

The online information is kind of misleading (sometimes even contradicting) and the latest official statement from AMD I found dates back to 2017. But apparently (based on various threads in different forums, mostly reddit) the current situation seems the be the following: For Ryzen first and second gen. you can use the Windows balanced power plan without sacrificing performance. But for Ryzen 3 the usage of the AMD balanced power plan is still recommended. That's at least what I was able to dig up.

I'll send AMDs tech support an e-mail asking them for first hand information to clarify the situation.

I agree insofar that the situation is definitely a bit unclear and confusing... 

Doesn't mean what I said is wrong Ryzen poweplans don't get installed by default anymore - tried with both chipsets from AMD and MSI 

And I did like 30 different tests,  Windows balanced came always out on top performance wise. 

And,  sorry but 2017 there was no Ryzen 3000 series that info is obviously outdated therefore. 

Lastly I have to guess it's not exactly the same for every hardware combination out there,  hence the confusion around this subject. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That's why I decided to contact AMD for first hand information. Here's what I wrote: 

AS there is a lot of contradicting information available online whether or not to use the AMD balanced power plan for 3rd gen. Ryzen CPUs (in my case a Ryzen 7 3800X) I decided to contact you to get some first hand answers.

- Do you still recommend using the Ryzen balanced power plan on Windows 10 64 bit (1909)? If you do so, why, what are the benefits? 

- Or is it now ok to use the Windows built in balanced power plan? If it is ok, what has changed that makes it ok now?

- Is core parking still an issue with the Windows built in balanced power plan?

- Can you say anything about the situation for 1st and 2nd gen. Ryzen CPUs? What power plan should be used with these CPUs and why?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

9 minutes ago, oeci said:

That's why I decided to contact AMD for first hand information. Here's what I wrote: 

Hmm, that's pretty good, especially the answers for the first 3 points could be interesting...

I find it kinda hilarious this info isn't easily available for customers btw,  I couldn't even find what idle voltages should be at. 

Found that on a more or less random reddit post from a supposed AMD employee (seems legit,  doesn't make it any less hilarious) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yes, apart from the mentioned statement from 2017 there does not seem to be any official information out there. This is something that should definitely be mentioned in the release notes of the chipset drivers (which install the Ryzen power plan) as well as in the technical specifications or at least in the FAQs of the concerned CPUs.

Maybe @LinusTech could also provide some insight by making a short video about it?

4 hours ago, oeci said:

Yes, apart from the mentioned statement from 2017 there does not seem to be any official information out there. This is something that should definitely be mentioned in the release notes of the chipset drivers (which install the Ryzen power plan) as well as in the technical specifications or at least in the FAQs of the concerned CPUs.

Maybe @LinusTech could also provide some insight by making a short video about it?

Actually yes... 

I thought about that too actually.

Specifically because I found the situation I was in after making this 3600 built quite disturbing... For over a month the CPU was running at or near 1.5v  constantly - at default settings!   Power plans didn't make a big difference at all... 

I kinda knew that wasn't right... But it was difficult to find any info about this -  certainly not on the AMD sites I checked... 

And I honestly wanna know how many people run their new and shiny Ryzens at much too high idle voltages - because that definitely can't be good long term. 

Maybe a case for detective Linus Sebastian indeed? :o

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually yes... 

I thought about that too actually.

Specifically because I found the situation I was in after making this 3600 built quite disturbing... For over a month the CPU was running at or near 1.5v  constantly - at default settings!   Power plans didn't make a big difference at all... 

I kinda knew that wasn't right... But it was difficult to find any info about this -  certainly not on the AMD sites I checked... 

And I honestly wanna know how many people run their new and shiny Ryzens at much too high idle voltages - because that definitely can't be good long term. 

Maybe a case for detective Linus Sebastian indeed? :o

That's because you did not search running a Gen 3 Ryzen processor in a Gen 1 Ryzen motherboard.

Again, it's compatible. By the chipset wasn't exactly designed for 3000 series chips by default.... therefor one should expect ..... quircks? perhaps that's a good word, while we also must look at "compatible" by definition and realize does not mean 100% guarantee of proper operation.

So when in doubt, you should always pair the chipset generation to the cpu generation for best accurately said belong together. 

Same is the issue with Memory and Ryzen IMC. 

A lot of kits are designed in fashioned wording or in short XMP, while this is memory mostly suited for Intel while AMD uses the term DOCP which there's really not a lot of memory floating around for sale with this term. And as such, a lot of "binning" also a term we can throw in here will vary results also. 

But 1.5v on a Ryzen processor at idle is typically how a Gen 1 and 2 acts. My 2700x at default does the same thing while a single core or thread is boosting it's head off to 4350mhz. It also can maintain under TDP threshold while all the other cores are resting at a low p-state governed by the SenseMi technology.

However case in point, If you wanted a better Ryzen 3600(x) experience, you'd buy a x570 chipset.

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, 2000 series doesn't have this issue... And 0.8 is fine too. 

It took me a bit of time to resolve my similar cpu behavior and some recommending the AMD Balanced plan with a minor adjustment, but I guess it can be different on the 3000 series, and it would be nice if AMD responds to @oeci questions.

System specs below