Dead RAM or dead slot?

Aaralli

I built a pc a while back, and now I think there is a problem with the RAM. I was playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint for a few hours when the performance started to get a little choppy. Suddenly I had 5-10 fps and the game warned me that I was running out of system memory. I checked, and the performance tab of task manager said that I only had 8gb installed instead of 16gb, and also running at stock 2133 speeds. I know I've had xmp turned on for a while. I did basic troubleshooting, where I tried to run the computer with just one stick of ram at a time, and it worked fine. Then I put both in the correct slots and tried booting. Nothing. I mean, the RGB in both sticks of RAM works fine, and all the fans spin up, and the RGB on my AIO cooler works, but no POST. Then I tried switching the places of the RAM and booting. No POST again. I'm wondering if the more likely problem is a stick of RAM, or the slot I'm using.

Specs:

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

Ryzen 5 2600X

RX 580 8gb

2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz

Adata SU655 960gb

Bitfenix Formula Gold 650 Watt

Windows 10 Home 64 bit 

I have all the latest drivers and bios installed too.

So you said you tried one stick at a time and the both worked. Did you test each in the same slot or different?

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

Just now, Dougarooo said:

So you said you tried one stick at a time and the both worked. Did you test each in the same slot or different?

The same slot. I used the one my motherboard manual says to use if you have only one stick of RAM.

Just now, Aaralli said:

The same slot. I used the one my motherboard manual says to use if you have only one stick of RAM.

Your mobo has 4 different slots. So put one stick of ram in the slot that you said works and try the other in a slot not touching that slot. So if you have slots 1 2 3 4 and slot 1 was the one you said worked put the other in slot 3. Same thing 2 & 4.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

1 minute ago, Dougarooo said:

Your mobo has 4 different slots. So put one stick of ram in the slot that you said works and try the other in a slot not touching that slot. So if you have slots 1 2 3 4 and slot 1 was the one you said worked put the other in slot 3. Same thing 2 & 4.

Isn't it bad to not use the recommended configuration for inserting RAM?

2 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

Isn't it bad to not use the recommended configuration for inserting RAM?

It is "bad" because you don't get optimal performance (no dual channel) but not your-computer-will-burn-down bad.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Your mobo manual recommends it as well found here

Untitled.png.dd094466d282bd00a24dc4c9605649a1.png

18 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Your mobo manual recommends it as well found here

Untitled.png.dd094466d282bd00a24dc4c9605649a1.png

I did that, and the debug LED on the motherboard said there was a problem with my GPU. Which makes no sense, because before now it was perfectly fine.

12 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I did that, and the debug LED on the motherboard said there was a problem with my GPU. Which makes no sense, because before now it was perfectly fine.

The VGA LED came on? Try removing the graphics card and just see if it posts with both RAM detected or if it still gives the same error.

This LED shouldn't be coming on for inserting the ram stick so it is really weird

12 hours ago, Dougarooo said:

The VGA LED came on? Try removing the graphics card and just see if it posts with both RAM detected or if it still gives the same error.

This LED shouldn't be coming on for inserting the ram stick so it is really weird

So I tried removing the GPU but the VGA LED still came on. I'm guessing that it's because it didn't detect any card at all and that test kight come before ram. I tried my graphics card in both x16 slots, and then another graphics card I had lying around in both slots.