LCD discoloration/glow - Can it be fixed?

ponkass

I recently bought a new Acer PE320QK. After about one week of use I started getting some pretty bad glow-effects in three of the corners of the panel. I contacted support and after some pretty odd questions from them about drivers and GFX card (which is pretty obvious is not the problem from the pictures) I sent it in for repair.

I got it back about 10 days later. Their report said: "Defective pixels are a minor defect of the LCD display and no hardware issue. Please note the point 2.1.5 of the Acer warranty conditions." It further says that they just "cleaned" the monitor, what the hell ever that means.

I'm pretty pissed about this. This is a major visible fault in the monitor. And I'm no expert on LCD technology, but to me it's weird that they refer to this as "defective pixels". To me this does not look like a problem with the pixels per-se, but something else.

So I have two questions:

1. What has happened here? Why is the monitor looking like this? It does not look like regular IPS glow to me.

2. Can I somehow try to open the monitor and fix this myself?

Two Screenshots are attached.

screen_glow_2.jpeg

screen_glow_1.jpeg

ACER is a bad manufacturer, I had a similar experience with an ACER monitor sometime back and they absofreakinglutely denied a claim and stated that they could not help.

Fortunately it was not an expensive monitor( Was expensive to me at that time though), so I just sold it on Craigslist and took the hit.

Have never bought any ACER products after that.

Now that the rant is over, I see from your pics that it definitely is a LCD issue, and I am not sure it is fixable.

I would suggest putting the pics on Twitter, tagging ACER, so that all followers can see and also put that they did not help.

That might catch some O level guy's eye and your issue may get resolved...