BIOS shows 16GB of memory but windows only shows 8GB

Hafluto

I installed some new memory today but windows only recognizes 8gb while the bios and cpuz shows 16gb. There are some screenshots of cpuz attached, not sure if they are needed

Thanks in advance for the help

cpuz 1.PNG

cpuz 2.PNG

cpuz 3.PNG

Where does Windows only recognize 8GB? Task Manager?  Does it show a lot of RAM as hardware reserved?

Also, were you not able to buy the same RAM for the 2nd stick?

2 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Where does Windows only recognize 8GB? Task Manager?  Does it show a lot of RAM as hardware reserved?

Also, were you not able to buy the same RAM for the 2nd stick?

It doesn't recognize the extra 8gb in task manager or the system tab and I didn't realize it would be a big problem to have different dimms as long as it was ddr4 

6 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Does it show a lot of RAM as hardware reserved?

This is the question to answer.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

This is the question to answer.

Would I see that in the system tab? If so then no it doesn't say that.

Just now, Hafluto said:

Would I see that in the system tab? If so then no it doesn't say that.

We need to see Task Manager...

Task Manager.PNG

2 minutes ago, Lorant said:

We need to see Task Manager...

Task Manager.PNG

I see it says commited 8/16 i assume that is what you are talking of?

task manager 1.PNG

Odd how you don't have Speed, slots used, formfactor listing.  Is that a Windows Home vs Pro thing?

But it does just show 8GB for you.  Can you change slots on the mb for the RAM?  Try other combos?  I see you're in 2 and 4, which should be exactly right.  Try 1 and 3?

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

Odd how you don't have Speed, slots used, formfactor listing.  Is that a Windows Home vs Pro thing?

But it does just show 8GB for you.  Can you change slots on the mb for the RAM?  Try other combos?  I see you're in 2 and 4, which should be exactly right.  Try 1 and 3?

Not sure about the windows vs home thing but I have home also ill change the slots now

1 minute ago, Hafluto said:

Not sure about the windows vs home thing but I have home also ill change the slots now

When you do, put BIOS to load defaults.  If you have XMP running for that 2400 stick, it may be messing up Windows seeing that 2133 stick.

16 minutes ago, Lorant said:

When you do, put BIOS to load defaults.  If you have XMP running for that 2400 stick, it may be messing up Windows seeing that 2133 stick.

I just booted it back up with defaults and windows seems to recongize the full 16gb

19 minutes ago, Hafluto said:

I just booted it back up with defaults and windows seems to recongize the full 16gb

Sounds good.  It should all be running at 2133MHz now, but that won't cause any loss of FPS from the 1 stick running 2400, so don't worry about that at all.

Enjoy her!

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

Sounds good.  It should all be running at 2133MHz now, but that won't cause any loss of FPS from the 1 stick running 2400, so don't worry about that at all.

Enjoy her!

Thank you very much!