Running games after windows reinstallation without installing them

Enochian
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

It's a bit convoluted,  but once you know what you have to do its not that hard either :)

PS: if your games really don't get recognized this way, *don't* reinstall them for now... There are other ways to make Steam recognize them,  but this method really should work 99% of the time!

Hi Guys, 

Last night I had to reinstall windows 10. 
It was on C drive. On a separate drive (not partition) I had steam with some games. 

I was pretty sure that i will have to delete everything and install again. Which was the case for 99% of games. 

Luckily enough i reinstalled steam but kept the folder with games, and the only one still working is RDR 2
I don't quite understand it. It's not visible in control panel or anywhere. Just in steam library and i can launch normally with no problems. 

Are there any downsides of it? 

Most important : is there a way to make it visible as a proper installation (regedit?) without deleting and downloading again?

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

You may need to verify files on each game. Otherwise, if the files are there, it's not issue. You wouldn't use Windows for uninstalling either so that doesn't matter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

It's a bit convoluted,  but once you know what you have to do its not that hard either :)

PS: if your games really don't get recognized this way, *don't* reinstall them for now... There are other ways to make Steam recognize them,  but this method really should work 99% of the time!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity