Fractal R4 fans

Scorpionvenomm

Hi all just a question about my fractal R4 I use this case for an Ubuntu server now the question is about the fan controller cables I have a noctua fan installed in the front and one of the cables connected to it but when I turn on server and the fan controller is at 12v everything works fine if I put it down to 5v no problem nice and slow and quiet but if I turn off server and restart 5v won't turn on

But if I put the switch to 12v it turns on does anybody know to fix that problem ? Any help would be really appreciated thanks

The Noctua fans are designed to be PWM, they require a higher voltage for the motor to function and have a higher start up voltage. A fan might function at 5v but the starting voltage will need to be higher in some cases. 

Error: 410

Contact Fractal. They will help as soon as possible. 

It might be the voltage at startup?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Contact Fractal. They will help as soon as possible. 

It might be the voltage at startup?

It's the fans, not the controller. 

It's the fans, not the controller. 

Exactly. The voltage isn't enough for the fans. Right?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

So what's the point of having good fans if I can't run them at 5v nice and quiet

So what's the point of having good fans if I can't run them at 5v nice and quiet

By having them at high speeds nice and quiet. 

There are different versions of fans. PWM works by pulsing 12v and not by lowering the voltage. If you wanted to use 5v, you shouldn't have gotten pwm fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ah ok so if I buy non pwm fans it would work ? And thanks for replying

yep, should work properly. 

That's fine although you'd want to get then ULN version if you want low noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's fine although you'd want to get then ULN version if you want low noise.

but what voltage would the ULN be running at ? as my noctua fans are not pwm

but what voltage would the ULN be running at ? as my noctua fans are not pwm

The built in voltage resistors in the uln adapters use 5v or 7v depending on which one you use.