Intel C2Q 6600 And Gaming - Battlefield 4 Results are in!

Yes, i going this route!
Is this CPU still a monster in gaming? Does it still get high framerates?
You will find out here!

Background story time!
I was on a flee market somewhere near me and i notice a cheap Acer Vetonlin (or something)
So i asked the price, and he said "i'll take 50 euros" and i was like alright i'll take it!
Back home i notice it still had 4Gigs of DDR2 533Mhz A bit slow but still useable, a 275w PSU of FSP a decent brand and 250Gigs HDD and all the stock stuff.
So what i did first was push my GT 430 in it and fast enough i see the framerate are low.
My first guess was the GPU is just to slow and putting my old GTX 650 (yes i said old "titan owner ^^" and games runs very smooth and nice on high settings in most cases.
So here i am testing the Q6600 with a GTX 650 and a PCI-E lane that have only rev 1.1 not even 2.0...
And soon i'll get also a AMD Phenom II x4 805 to put agains the Q6600

The point of this test ?
Some ppl think pc gaming is always expensive, well no!
PC gaming is cheaper then console gaming in the long term.
2nd reason pc gaming is better because we can play all old games ever released on the pc no matter what there will be always a way!

Games that gonna be tested on it
- Grid 2
- Skyrim
- Battlefield 4
- Saints Row 4
- Just Cause 2
- Others?

All games wil be played on 1080p and high preset with 2/4xMSAA (MSAA depens on preset)
All games will be recorded with shadowplay

Results

Battlefield 4, Medium Preset, No AA, 1920x1080, Min 20fps avg 31fps max 57fps (fps results are without recording with shadowplay)

This belongs in the PC Gaming section. I'm moving the thread.

Please post in the correct sub-forum in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nice, sorta excited to see the results, but wouldn't it be more fair to pair the C2Q against an original Phenom quad core? That was the original competition if I'm not mistaken.

well the thing is i can get a phenom 805 with mainboard 160gb hdd 6gb ddr2 800mhz (what i gonna replace with slower ram for more fairness) for 70 euros so yea

Oh yeah, great deal. Anyway, can you tag me once the results are in? Thanks

sure :)

I will be very interested to hear the results.  I have a rig that I wanted to put a quad core in from the socket 775 era but just felt it wasn't worth it.  Interested to see what you get with your quad.  I was told I could buy one new for $70 + tax and it just seemed steep when I already had two pcs for us that are gaming rigs so I didn't buy.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I will be very interested to hear the results.  I have a rig that I wanted to put a quad core in from the socket 775 era but just felt it wasn't worth it.  Interested to see what you get with your quad.  I was told I could buy one new for $70 + tax and it just seemed steep when I already had two pcs for us that are gaming rigs so I didn't buy.

and that is the whole point

its a shame that i don't have BF4 i wanna test BF4 instead of BF3

and that is the whole point

its a shame that i don't have BF4 i wanna test BF4 instead of BF3

It reads BF4 on listing, but anyway I can tell you results on that test: Q6600 will be bottleneck unless you can OC it to 3.0+GHz. Also 4gb will be bottleneck on BF4, BF3 will be OK-ish. Reason is that my previous system had Q6600 stock (bad mobo), 4gb ram and GTX560Ti. I did some ingame benchmarking (part of my regular testing) with Medium and Ultra presets @1080p. Results were that with Med Q6600 & 4gb had avg 53 fps, this system (4770K, 8gb) gives avg 70fps. On ultra preset GPU was the problematic part as difference between runs was only 3fps.

Q6600 is great CPU, but on CPU intensive games it just doesn't have it anymore. I bet you can play more GPU oriented games easy with it. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It reads BF4 on listing, but anyway I can tell you results on that test: Q6600 will be bottleneck unless you can OC it to 3.0+GHz. Also 4gb will be bottleneck on BF4, BF3 will be OK-ish. Reason is that my previous system had Q6600 stock (bad mobo), 4gb ram and GTX560Ti. I did some ingame benchmarking (part of my regular testing) with Medium and Ultra presets @1080p. Results were that with Med Q6600 & 4gb had avg 53 fps, this system (4770K, 8gb) gives avg 70fps. On ultra preset GPU was the problematic part as difference between runs was only 3fps.

Q6600 is great CPU, but on CPU intensive games it just doesn't have it anymore. I bet you can play more GPU oriented games easy with it. 

You think that? we will see :)

Since i do the testing i'll say if it is good or bad

I know how to optimize my hardware and windows for a reasonable results with recording

So far i know BF4 will run nicely on medium even with this cpu ram and gpu combo everything above 30fps is a go.