is Doom 3 is completely free?

graberweg
Go to solution Solved by The1Dickens,
26 minutes ago, graberweg said:

So for longest time I've had an under powered desktop that could hardly render most (or all) first person shooter games without me having to lower the graphics settings to the bare minimum (which even at that it was awful to play through) so I never played any games on my old computer. I just built a desktop with an AMD 3950x CPU with an Nvidia 1660 Super graphics card a few days ago and wanted to play Doom 3 since my old machine couldn't do it. I know I'm almost 10 years too late but I came across this strange article and it mentions Doom 3 source code is free to all but it links me to Github but that's as far as I can even get. How do I install the game to my new desktop (assuming its free to everyone now)? Is the Github link for compiling and editing the game? I just want to install and play the original Doom 3 :).

id has a history of releasing the source code of their games for people to play with. idTech 5 (I think) was the last one released, though, since they got bought up by Bethesda. While the source code is free, you'd still need the resources (models, textures, images, sounds, etc.) that you could only get from a purchased copy of the game.

Also for free games, Warframe is a fun one that has all sorts of particle effects, and is fast-paced. It's space ninjas. Also, Doom 2016 (as previously mentioned, though not free) should run incredible on your hardware, as id are voodoo wizards when it comes to game engines, and they seem to run pretty well on potatoes (which, yours is now a step up. Like a peach, or a kiwi).

As for storefronts, Steam is the most popular one, and it is nice to be able to have all your games in an easy to access interface, but there are downsides (like Steam's DRM, which is unnoticeable to the typical user). GOG is another good one, which has no DRM, and you can find many of the classics on there.

So for longest time I've had an under powered desktop that could hardly render most (or all) first person shooter games without me having to lower the graphics settings to the bare minimum (which even at that it was awful to play through) so I never played any games on my old computer. I just built a desktop with an AMD 3950x CPU with an Nvidia 1660 Super graphics card a few days ago and wanted to play Doom 3 since my old machine couldn't do it. I know I'm almost 10 years too late but I came across this strange article and it mentions Doom 3 source code is free to all but it links me to Github but that's as far as I can even get. How do I install the game to my new desktop (assuming its free to everyone now)? Is the Github link for compiling and editing the game? I just want to install and play the original Doom 3 :).

4 minutes ago, graberweg said:

assuming its free

It's not, only the source code for modding purposes is.

On the other hand, it's a 1.50$ right now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/DOOM_3/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Compiling on win32:
-------------------

A project file for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is provided in neo\doom.sln

Unfortunately, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition (e.g. the free release)
will not be able to successfully compile the source, because 32 bit MFC is required.

You will need the Microsoft DirectX SDK installed as well.
If it does not reside in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)"
you will need to update the project files accordingly.

This is telling you to compile it.

You might be able to find someone else's build online too of it, but that poses some security issues.

But is that effort worth the $1.50 though..?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, graberweg said:

why not doom from 2016?

I'm not entirely sure what steam is. I only wanted the stand alone game is all but I don't see it anywhere on the id software website. ?‍♂️

I'm not entirely sure what steam is. I only wanted the stand alone game is all but I don't see it anywhere on the id software website. ?‍♂️

drm free baybi

1o4htc.jpg

Just now, muito_gostoso said:

drm free baybi

1o4htc.jpg

So does steam it install the game to my PC or does it only allow me access through their online portal?

The reason I'm not entirely onboard about going through steam is because I have an Nvidia shield and bought the game through their online platform and that shit wouldn't even play.

So does steam it install the game to my PC or does it only allow me access through their online portal?

you pay, and dowload the iso to your pc and you can do with your game anitibg you want , no portal website app whatso over

GOG.COM is good olg games drm free forever

3 minutes ago, graberweg said:

So does steam it install the game to my PC or does it only allow me access through their online portal? The reason I'm not entirely onboard about going through steam is because I have an Nvidia shield and bought the game through their online platform and that shit wouldn't even play. due to a "licensing" issue

Wow dude, just wow. https://store.steampowered.com/about/.

Not knowing Steam... How long did you sleep?

At Steam you can also check Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Robocraft and a bunch of other free-to-play titles.

Btw: Several titles on Steam are also DRM-free/playable without Steam/DRM.

11 minutes ago, graberweg said:

Ok I'll look into it...thanks.

Welcome. Steam is basically a launcher. It launches and plays games. There's multiple launchers that exist. Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG Galaxy and the Epic Games launcher being among the top 5 being used these days. GOG is known for allowing you to not have to use their launcher as the games are DRM FREE.

You can obtain games from numerous places at discounts or straight from each launcher store front. There are websites like GreenManGaming, Fanatical, Humble Bundle and GameBillet that basically sell you keys to use on Steam, UPlay, Origin, Epic, etc, etc.

There are other gray market websites to get games from but I won't go much into those. You're basically getting those keys from random people selling them. These people are from all over the world and where they get the keys is completely random. Thus getting labeled as a gray market or as most people say, "shady".

They're not shady when you know either what you're doing or knowing the people in which are selling you the keys.

26 minutes ago, graberweg said:

id has a history of releasing the source code of their games for people to play with. idTech 5 (I think) was the last one released, though, since they got bought up by Bethesda. While the source code is free, you'd still need the resources (models, textures, images, sounds, etc.) that you could only get from a purchased copy of the game.

Also for free games, Warframe is a fun one that has all sorts of particle effects, and is fast-paced. It's space ninjas. Also, Doom 2016 (as previously mentioned, though not free) should run incredible on your hardware, as id are voodoo wizards when it comes to game engines, and they seem to run pretty well on potatoes (which, yours is now a step up. Like a peach, or a kiwi).

As for storefronts, Steam is the most popular one, and it is nice to be able to have all your games in an easy to access interface, but there are downsides (like Steam's DRM, which is unnoticeable to the typical user). GOG is another good one, which has no DRM, and you can find many of the classics on there.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)