Budget gaming build for a family member

steelo

Hi everyone,

While visiting family, I was asked to build a 'gaming' computer for a 21 year old niece who is mainly into Wow and esports titles, like 'overwatch' I'm trying to keep the cost around $350-$375, if possible and would rather not buy used components. She did specify that she'd like a SSD with at least 1 TB of storage and a case with blue LED's (blue is her favorite color), she also mentioned that she doesn't want any type of lag while playing but she doesn't care if the graphics aren't able to be maxed out...I'd really like to use a RX 570 for the GPU but that puts me over the price limit.

I mentioned to her that it's not going to have top of the line specs but it will easily be upgradable in the future. Thanks!

Does the case have a PSU in it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Wow and Overwatch? She may have some sort of system already, doesn't she? Isn't there a upgrade-path which can be followed but to buy her a whole new system that just doesn't cut it? Anything that can be taken over to the new one?

You shouldn't buy a new rx 570 anyway at the actual price, but you may look for a good one 2nd hand. Same for a few other things you did put in the basket.

The problem is that you did cheap out where it hurts (actually: everywhere), while you could go for a used but reasonable PC at $250-$350 that should have better value in any respect.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Excellent point...LOL...

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Doubt it, and if it were it would be crap.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Wow and Overwatch? She may have some sort of system already, doesn't she? Isn't there a upgrade-path which can be followed but to buy her a whole new system that just doesn't cut it? Anything that can be taken over to the new one?

You shouldn't buy a new rx 570 anyway at the actual price, but you may look for a good one 2nd hand. Same for a few other things you did put in the basket.

The problem is that you did cheap out where it hurts (actually: everywhere), while you could go for a used but reasonable PC at $250-$350 that should have better value in any respect.

She does have an xbo, don't ask about her current PC...it's an athlon from 2008.

14 minutes ago, steelo said:

With a build like this you're better off buying used. Fair to say this won't last long and paying full price for all of this would be a terrible rip-off.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

She does have an xbo, don't ask about her current PC...it's an athlon from 2008.

Ah, an Xbox. The Xbox-Xbox or the other one... (sorry, couldn't resist)

2008, that's old... Hard to upgrade without nearing the budget. But anyway: A used PC with i5 6700 or something like that should be available in your area, sometimes even with a reasonable graphics card rx 470 or better) and ssd/hdd combo already inside.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Joke?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

There is no way on earth to set up a pc at $350-$375 for playing those tittles.

At best, Word, Excel, ect...

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

There is no way on earth to set up a pc at $350-$375 for playing those tittles.

At best, Word, Excel, ect...

3400g is only $140-$150.  Then can power a dedicated GPU later.

7 minutes ago, Lorant said:

3400g is only $140-$150.  

375-150=225$

You think you can buy decent all the other parts for 225$??? I don't think so....

BTW, the  RX 560 2 GB is a total garbage for today's tittles 

8 minutes ago, Lorant said:

3400g is only $140-$150.  Then can power a dedicated GPU later.

I am seriously considering the 2400/3400g...I used it prior to adding a dedicated GPU and it's pretty impressive. Also, it has 4 more threads than a 1200/2200g.

What about a Ryzen 5 1600 paired with a RX 570?

29 minutes ago, steelo said:

Lose the CPU and GPU. Go with Ryzen 3400g.  Lose the 1TB SSD since you can't afford it in the budget you have.

Can hit $375.

3400g would be an option, but you may want 16gb of ram then.

I wouldn't drop the ssd, I'd change the size.

This should work quite well for a couple of years

16 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Joke?

TLDNR:No.  A lack of surety phrased as a question.  

mostly because I felt compelled to write it:

It’s not listed but the PSU has a picture of it filled with a full system.  I try not to assume that others haven’t already thought of things around here.  Especially about new hardware.  Modern computer hardware and newer behavior of OSes I’m quite weak on.  There is stuff I’m more sure of and when I’m sure I tend to take that stance.  It’s turned out a couple of times I’ve been wrong so in those instances I try to back off.  I started here with a really strong opinion about core count over MHz for long term viability of hardware.  I still think it may be true.  It also may not be though.  So I back off.  I was more worried about the potential power of the new consoles than I am now since the Xbox series one was last teased.  All questions are not answered yet though apu doubts remain. The thing is still 8/16.  I am not 100% convinced fast 6/12 is going to be able to keep up.  If people want a 3700x instead of a 3600 I don’t say no.  I don’t say yes either though.  A 3600 is just as fast now and will be for the next 6-months to a year.  I suspect that may change after that though.  I think fast 4/4 core may be in even worse shape.  I back off though.  Sound deadening I did a pile of research on it once though, I did it fairly recently, and sound tech hasn’t changed.  That I will continue to be straight up about until evidence is presented to the contrary.  I don’t think it will be.

There was no PSU in the build, and the spec sheet didn’t say PSU or no PSU.  I could be wrong but I thought it might want a look.  Turns out it had been forgotten.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

TLDNR:No.  A lack of surety phrased as a question.  

mostly because I felt compelled to write it:

It’s not listed but the PSU has a picture of it filled with a full system.  I try not to assume that others haven’t already thought of things around here.  Especially about new hardware.  Modern computer hardware and newer behavior of OSes I’m quite weak on.  There is stuff I’m more sure of and when I’m sure I tend to take that stance.  It’s turned out a couple of times I’ve been wrong so in those instances I try to back off.  I started here with a really strong opinion about core count over MHz for long term viability of hardware.  I still think it may be true.  It also may not be though.  So I back off.  I was more worried about the potential power of the new consoles than I am now since the Xbox series one was last teased.  All questions are not answered yet though apu doubts remain. The thing is still 8/16.  I am not 100% convinced fast 6/12 is going to be able to keep up.  If people want a 3700x instead of a 3600 I don’t say no.  I don’t say yes either though.  A 3600 is just as fast now and will be for the next 6-months to a year.  I suspect that may change after that though.  I think fast 4/4 core may be in even worse shape.  I back off though.  Sound deadening I did a pile of research on it once though, I did it fairly recently, and sound tech hasn’t changed.  That I will continue to be straight up about until evidence is presented to the contrary.  I don’t think it will be.

There was no PSU in the build, and the spec sheet didn’t say PSU or no PSU.  I could be wrong but I thought it might want a look.  Turns out it had been forgotten.

As for the PSU!

Do you really believe that a 40$ case has a PSU included?

And if so, for what kind of hardware are we talking about......?

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

My build with the rx570 will give much better performance

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

My build with the rx570 will give much better performance

Okay, that looks like a good build. Only thing I would change is adding a 500gb ssd...she really stressed storage but I understand this is a budget build.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

As for the PSU!

Do you really believe that a 40$ case has a PSU included?

And if so, for what kind of hardware are we talking about......?

Still mad I wasn’t authoritative enough?

I’m not a manufacturer.   I don’t buy cases with included PSUs.  I do know the OP is trying like mad to get as much power out of as little money as possible, and meeting budget is cutting deep.  That’s about all I know.  

additional pontification:

I laid off commenting on the AMD apu option, as I laid off commenting on most of the first build.  OP did research.  I didn’t.  I might have an opinion but it’s not an informed one.  His might very well be better.

what little information I have on Vega apus says that while they’re faster than intel iGPUs they’re still not very good.  OP just posted a new build with a 3400g 4/8, Vega 11 apu.  I think the earlier one might be better because there might be (I don’t know one way or the other) more power in the pcie GPU than the Vega.  The CPU will probably perform better than the 1200, but the GPU is stuck to the CPU now, and the GPU may or may not be able to handle things.  LTT did a Christmas special which I wish i knew how to link. The $300 one made some interesting choices. They had a 2/4 vega11 apu they overclocked with a big cooler.  I don’t remember much about it other than that.  The 3400 has more cores at the same speed with the same gpu for 3 times the price.  I don’t know though.  I’m wary, but I don’t have enough info, so I’m laying off.  You go ahead though.