Hi,

I recently bought Lenovo P1 gen2. 

Specs:

I9

64Gb RAM

1Tb ssd

Quadro T2000

4k ips display

I have been using that laptop for about a month. While general use is perfect, buttttt editing photos in lightroom or photoshop is a pain in the bottom. Now I'm not somekind of an expert in computer science. But, please, can someone tell me if I bought wrong laptop. When I edit photos GPU (quadro) is not evem moving all stress is done by CPU and integrated GPU intel 630. 

I have read that gaming GPUs are better for photography work. Is this really true or I cant set up my sistem properly to work as fast as that spec would be able?

I also set the dedicated GPU in lightroom to be quadro but it is still not moving an inch. 

I need help please. I dont know what to do anymore...

Thanks for all of your replys and sry for my bad english :)

Peace

Atlas.

2 hours ago, Atlas von Fear said:

Hi,

I recently bought Lenovo P1 gen2. 

Specs:

I9

64Gb RAM

1Tb ssd

Quadro T2000

4k ips display

I have been using that laptop for about a month. While general use is perfect, buttttt editing photos in lightroom or photoshop is a pain in the bottom. Now I'm not somekind of an expert in computer science. But, please, can someone tell me if I bought wrong laptop. When I edit photos GPU (quadro) is not evem moving all stress is done by CPU and integrated GPU intel 630. 

I have read that gaming GPUs are better for photography work. Is this really true or I cant set up my sistem properly to work as fast as that spec would be able?

I also set the dedicated GPU in lightroom to be quadro but it is still not moving an inch. 

I need help please. I dont know what to do anymore...

Thanks for all of your replys and sry for my bad english :)

Peace

Atlas.

My question: are you using these apps while plugged in, or on battery?  I know Adobe makes some use of the GPU, but if you're on battery it might be reverting to the integrated graphics no matter what you're doing.  You might also want to double-check that the Quadro is enabled in Windows when you are plugged in.

Also, keep in mind that Photoshop and Lightroom tend to use the GPU only in specific circumstances.  The fastest GPU on the planet won't matter much if the software only uses it for certain effects.

I honestly don't think you're going to get better performance from another laptop if you are plugged in and the Quadro is enabled.  You have one of the fastest laptop CPUs available, the most memory you can realistically fit, an SSD and a workstation-grade GPU... it doesn't get much better short of going to a desktop.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

My question: are you using these apps while plugged in, or on battery?  I know Adobe makes some use of the GPU, but if you're on battery it might be reverting to the integrated graphics no matter what you're doing.  You might also want to double-check that the Quadro is enabled in Windows when you are plugged in.

Also, keep in mind that Photoshop and Lightroom tend to use the GPU only in specific circumstances.  The fastest GPU on the planet won't matter much if the software only uses it for certain effects.

I honestly don't think you're going to get better performance from another laptop if you are plugged in and the Quadro is enabled.  You have one of the fastest laptop CPUs available, the most memory you can realistically fit, an SSD and a workstation-grade GPU... it doesn't get much better short of going to a desktop.

To be honest, I've doubts that even Photoshop (the app that actually touches the GPU) would benefit much from going dGPU over a modern iGPU.

Lightroom gets very slow when you're doing a lot of brushes and spot corrections. Just the nature of the thing. The GPU is helpful for panning and scrolling a large RAW on a high resolution display (a GTX 960 does this fine), and that's really about it. Even with the latest version, GPU usage is practically nil when messing with the sliders. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. They helped a bit :). I understand that for sliders gpu does nothing. But I dont know, wen i upload photos and export photos it seems that my laptop strugles a bit. Or is it jut me wanting every thing to be snapy?

Maybe is just me, i mean i paid good money for this laptop and i just want to be shore that everything is fine with my sistem.

And yes when pluged into wall it preforms faster. But i mainly use it on the go. I also understand that it is very thin and it is imposibile to be a desktop like preformance. 

And one more thing. Are there any other set ups i need to go thru to set it up propely. I also disabled integrated gpu in bios. And set up programs in nvidia control panel.

Tnx

Atlas