Hd 7870 Xt(tahiti Le) < Hd 7950 ?

Mukessh

Hey guys , I have a Sapphire HD 7870 XT(Tahiti LE) , is it worth upgrading to a HD 7950 ? How much of a performance improvement will I get ? 

The 7870 Tahiti LE is a fantastic card, best value for money high performance card currently on the market. Overclock it if you haven't already, these cards can be overclocked to outperform 670s.

SmallPerfIndex.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tahiti-le-7870-7930-benchmark,3401-5.html

Alright . Thanks for the replies . I'll overclock this card and wait for the future Nvdia cards . 

Barely anything. It even beats the 7950 when you overclock it.

You know all cards will beat the next card up if you OC it lmao.So a 7950 OCed will beat a 7970ghz edition easily also and on and on..I had a 7850 and i just upgraded to two 7950 boost cards and even when i just had 1 7950 there was a big difference over the 7850.To me it was worth it.Plus you get the extra gb to play around with.

Keep the 7870 Tahiti LE, and overclock it (like others have said.) It will give you a substantial improvement and you can keep it for quite a long time, because it is definitely not low end.  

If you have the budget for it go crossfire 7870 LE since that setup will be baller as hell. ( if the rest of your rig is up for it )

Crossfire HD 7870 LE might have problems . I'v been keeping track with PcPer , CrossfireX is really bad in frametime compared to SLI . 

Crossfire HD 7870 LE might have problems . I'v been keeping track with PcPer , CrossfireX is really bad in frametime compared to SLI . 

Well that's both yes and no depending on the driver you use, i've seen stable runs on older drivers and i've seen utter failiure in some newer.

and plus AMD is really working on the Xfire problems and the new prototype drivers really show it.

The only crossfire problem i have run into with my 7950s is on far cry3.It was horrible but once i set up RadeonPro it was smooth as butter..

You know all cards will beat the next card up if you OC it lmao.So a 7950 OCed will beat a 7970ghz edition easily also and on and on..I had a 7850 and i just upgraded to two 7950 boost cards and even when i just had 1 7950 there was a big difference over the 7850.To me it was worth it.Plus you get the extra gb to play around with.

yes but the difference is that the 7870 XT beats the 7950 out of the box.

also you went up 2 tiers from 7850->7870->7950.

he's talking about going up less than half a tier

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned both in crossfire, I only upgraded since newegg droped the price to $250 per card after rebate with 10games... It was also less than 30days since I had them, so I just kept one, put it in my second pc and sent the other back for a refund.

In the Valley benchamark on the ExtremeHD preset I went from about 78.5fps average on my Myst editions (or 80.9fps avg not 100% stable @1200core and 1650mem) to my PowerColor 7950s 88.2fps average @only 1130core and 1650mem. which is about 12% more, once I put them under water or if you were to buy a dual fan model of the 7950 it should be about 15-20% faster crossfire vs crossfire.

Now gaming wise, I haven't yet found a game that really pushes these cards, I just figured if I needed to tri fire in the near future I'd like to be able to.

Not to mention the single fan on those Myst's are really loud and have a higher pitch noise similar to a high rpm cpu fan.

But if you don't plan to crossfire I wouldn't even mess with it, as for Nvidia cards bang for the buck will probably still be the 7950 since the compared model with be a gtx 770 at around $400 unless you want the 780 which should be a cut down Titan for about $500 and be about 20% faster than a 680 or about 10-15% faster than a 7970, which if it comes closer to the Titan performance wise than speculated I would expect that price to be higher since the Titan is $1k right now.

Just thought I'd drop in since I've owned both cards in crossfire.. Also, yes the crossfire problems have been fixed, they are now as smooth if not more smooth than the sli configurations, no benches out on them yet but the new beta2 13.5's are nice.

Before it was terrible and I almost went back to Nvidia, seriously it was nasty in crossfire.