Buy amd ryzen r7 3700x or wait for new intel

willberj

I dont know what to do... atm i have a i7 4770k oc to 4.5ghz, 16gb ram and a rtx 2070 super. I wanna upgrade my cpu, mobo etc. So the question is: should i buy the r7 3700x and be happy or should i wait until the new intel generation comes out? And when can we expect them to release? 

Upgrade to Ryzen

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, willberj said:

I wanna upgrade my cpu, mobo etc

What do you need to see from the upgrade for it to be worth it?  Where is the current CPU falling behind?

There are a couple ways of looking at it. First and foremost, buying a current-gen AMD processor will allow you to upgrade to their next generation because they have guaranteed one more year of releases for their current platform. If you wait until Intel, you get the exact same amount of upgrade path but you won't be able to get your new parts until later.

Also the new Intel processors will still be on 14nm so don't expect any big performance gains at all, compared to AMD's current offerings it probably won't really be worth waiting for.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I think it would be good to wait just to see how the new i7 performs. They should be adding back hyper threading so even in multithreaded work loads they should perform similar. If intel continues their price creep (~$400 for an i7) I would go with the 3700x. The 3700x has been dropping down in price recently, so the longer you wait the more you save. 

There is no point on waiting, you're not going for the highest end cpu anyway

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

What do you need to see from the upgrade for it to be worth it?  Where is the current CPU falling behind?

atm i just play games, but i think ill start doing more productivity 2020, and in most demanding games i get 100 procent cpu usage and sometimes i cant use discord or leave chrome open. Thats why, but if i only have like cod mw running its ok fps 100-160 on ultra

1 hour ago, willberj said:

atm i just play games, but i think ill start doing more productivity 2020, and in most demanding games i get 100 procent cpu usage and sometimes i cant use discord or leave chrome open. Thats why, but if i only have like cod mw running its ok fps 100-160 on ultra

Mkay, well if you don't like having to close chrome and discord gets interrupted by games a lot I'd spring for that 3700x and try to flip your prior CPU/Mobo/RAM. 

The leaks so far don't make it sound like Intel is worth waiting for unless you want to take a chance and can wait for another 1-2 years.  They're still figuring out who to blame for their failures and playing catch-up with Zen2.

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Mkay, well if you don't like having to close chrome and discord gets interrupted by games a lot I'd spring for that 3700x and try to flip your prior CPU/Mobo/RAM. 

The leaks so far don't make it sound like Intel is worth waiting for unless you want to take a chance and can wait for another 1-2 years.  They're still figuring out who to blame for their failures and playing catch-up with Zen2.

I think ill do that, atleast some money for my old stuff. Atm in Sweden the r7 3700x and the r7 3800x is almost the same price due to a sale, like 15 dollar difference, is it worth spending that little extra for 3800x? 

Just now, willberj said:

like 15 dollar difference, is it worth spending that little extra for 3800x? 

15 dollar difference?  Eh I'd say go ahead, it might overclock a little better.  If nothing else may be a bit better binning.

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

15 dollar difference?  Eh I'd say go ahead, it might overclock a little better.  If nothing else may be a bit better binning.

ye the 3800x is on sale, i guess beacuse its not what people tend to buy.

Whats a good mobo for the r7 3700x orv 3800x? I have a Asus rog strix rtx 2070 super so i was thinking asus rog strix b450 f just to match haha, or should i reconsider? Also how does my rgb on the gpu work with diffrent brand on the mobo?

Intel has been releasing basically the same CPUs with different names, and do not currently have a new silicon fab (new 10nm, instead of 14nm+++++++++++++++x1000) they are willing to use for Desktop parts at the moment, instead only selling a few 10nm parts for high end laptop market, this likely won't change for atleast 2+ years. 
Likewise Intel desperately NEEDS a complete architecture redesign, given the massive security bugs that result in patches which hamper their performance.  From what i can tell they likely aren't going to have one till some sort of crazy next gen stuff in 2022-2023 that Jim Keller is helping them design (same guy who was one of the big guys behind AMD Ryzen series), they appear to be saving their resources for that.  Likely this new architecture will have some completely different design for CPUs like 3d stacking, but this is a long way off.  There might be some decently interesting CPUs from them before that but nothing ground breaking. 

For next few years, AMD is best bet, so don't hesitate if you can afford it.  Better question would of been "Buy 3700 now, or wait for Ryzen 4000" ?

2 hours ago, willberj said:

Whats a good mobo for the r7 3700x orv 3800x? I have a Asus rog strix rtx 2070 super so i was thinking asus rog strix b450 f just to match haha, or should i reconsider? Also how does my rgb on the gpu work with diffrent brand on the mobo?

For value, the MSI MAX boards all work with Ryzen 3000 and are easy to find for 90-115$.  The B450 Tomahawk MAX is the most recommended due to some extra features it has, but also B450 Gaming Plus MAX, and B450 A-Pro MAX all are good enough to OC a 8 core, run the 3900x 12 core stock, likely can handle the 3950x 16 core stock with very good case airflow. 

The "MAX" label means its pre-updated for Ryzen 3000

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144267?Description=msi tomahawk max&cm_re=msi_tomahawk_max-_-13-144-267-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144264?Description=msi b450 max&cm_re=msi_b450_max-_-13-144-264-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/msi-b450-a-pro-max/p/N82E16813144268?Description=msi b450 a-pro &cm_re=msi_b450_a-pro-_-13-144-268-_-Product

This leaves you with looking from DRAM to most out of Ryzen 3000, i recommend these two kits if you just want to plug and play and are budget conscious.  You won't get much better by spending more.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880?Description=ripjaws 3600&cm_re=ripjaws_3600-_-20-232-880-_-Product 
(black w/ rgb) https://www.newegg.com/oloy-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821167?Description=oloy 3600&cm_re=oloy_3600-_-20-821-167-_-Product
(red w/) https://www.newegg.com/oloy-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821145?Description=oloy 3600&cm_re=oloy_3600-_-20-821-145-_-Product

Hold out until 4th gen.

Your Haswell i7 can hold out a little longer.

Don't upgrade to Ryzen 3000 with the intent to upgrade to 4ty gen next year. That's a waste of money and inconsistent with your historical buying habits (you are still on Haswell, after all).

When 4th gen pops, get the best you can afford, and hold onto that for several years.

That's my 2c.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

If next gen performance is a desire, you could invest in a better X570 board at your budget and grab a Ryzen 5 3600(or X).

The 3600 performs nearly the same in gaming, so no harm in the meantime and then you can feel like you've wasted less when Zen 3 drops.

1 hour ago, willberj said:

Whats a good mobo for the r7 3700x orv 3800x?

For the price-to-performance the X570 Tuf Gaming Plus is a great buy. There is a model with wifi as well. 

10 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Hold out until 4th gen.

Your Haswell i7 can hold out a little longer.

Don't upgrade to Ryzen 3000 with the intent to upgrade to 4ty gen next year. That's a waste of money and inconsistent with your historical buying habits (you are still on Haswell, after all).

When 4th gen pops, get the best you can afford, and hold onto that for several years.

That's my 2c.

I tend to agree. Frankly a solid cooler might be a good investment. You could push that i7 further on the overclock than that.

8 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I tend to agree. Frankly a solid cooler might be a good investment. You could push that i7 further on the overclock than that.

I have a noctua nh d14 and i cant seem to find a stable oc over 4.5 ghz might be my motherboard, its a gigabyte z97p-d3

9 hours ago, willberj said:

I have a noctua nh d14 and i cant seem to find a stable oc over 4.5 ghz might be my motherboard, its a gigabyte z97p-d3

Perhaps I'm off-base. That's a solid cooler. 

42 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Perhaps I'm off-base. That's a solid cooler. 

Ye its a Good air Cooler 

Or maybe is should go with the i9 9900k? How expensive mobo do i need to buy it to run it at 5 ghz?

4 hours ago, willberj said:

Or maybe is should go with the i9 9900k?

Is money no object?  ok , but why didn't you say so, that CPU costs way more than a 3700x...

But are you ok with the fact that the platform will be a complete dead-end on both features and future CPU changes?  It will soon be replaced with the Z490 platform once Intel finally releases it.  So if you've held onto a 4770k for as long as you have it's odd to have picky taste between the 3700x and the 9900k now. What resolution do you game at?

Edit: What that looks like in PartPicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($489.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $659.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-23 14:42 EST-0500

Edited by LogicWeasel
added PartPicker info

On 12/23/2019 at 8:20 PM, LogicWeasel said:

Is money no object?  ok , but why didn't you say so, that CPU costs way more than a 3700x...

But are you ok with the fact that the platform will be a complete dead-end on both features and future CPU changes?  It will soon be replaced with the Z490 platform once Intel finally releases it.  So if you've held onto a 4770k for as long as you have it's odd to have picky taste between the 3700x and the 9900k now. What resolution do you game at?

i mean i have a enough money, but its just that idk if i think its worth the money for the extra fps, atm i game at 1080 144hz, but will upgrade to either 240hz 1080p or 144hz 1440p sometime in 2020. 

Edit: I went with the r7 3800x since it was cheaper and i feel like i rather spend money one something else than a pc haha! :)