Is my 2080Ti savable?

XCalinX

Hello folks,

I have a rather big problem with my RTX 2080Ti. Basically, the story goes like this: A few months ago I took my rig apart to clean it, and in the process I removed the EKWB backplate from my RTX 2080Ti to clean it. However, I made the mistake of losing a screw and instead used a similar screw I found laying around. I assume it was slightly longer than the original screw. When I went to turn the system on, it caused a shortcircuit that resulted in smoke coming from the GPU. I immediately turned the PC off and removed the backplate. To my surprise, the GPU still worked perfectly fine. However, a few days ago I noticed that the GPU was running slightly hotter than usual, so I decided to change the thermal paste (when I initially installed the waterblock, I used some cheap thermal paste I bought from a local store because I didn't have anything else available). I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. (with this occasion, I applied it to the CPU aswell). After I put the rig back together, the GPU started artifacting after the Windows boot logo showed up. It eventually got into Windows, but without the driver being loaded. I removed the drivers with DDU, and reinstalled them but unfortunately the issue persists. Basically, as soon as I attempt to load the GPU drivers, the GPU artifacts and fails to load them. If I go in Device Manager and disable then enable the GPU, it artifacts as soon as I enable it, then the screen goes black and eventually the image comes back, but with no driver loaded. I also get the Code 43 error in device manager. It is also worth noting that I'm currently using my old 980 Ti and it works fine, so it being a software issue (or an issue with the rest of the hardware) is out of the question.

Here are some things I tried to do to bring it back to life

- Installed the air cooler (Palit GamingPro dual fan cooler)

- Attempted the oven baking method

- Attempted heating the whole card up with a heatgun

- Flashed to a different BIOS (downloaded from TechPowerUp)

- Removed the drivers with DDU several times

Is there anything else I could try to bring the card back or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

used a similar screw I found laying around. I assume it was slightly longer than the original screw

I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.

You're monster, put the poor GPU to rest already. It's done.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

35 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

lost cause?

It's dead.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

37 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Hello folks,

I have a rather big problem with my RTX 2080Ti. Basically, the story goes like this: A few months ago I took my rig apart to clean it, and in the process I removed the EKWB backplate from my RTX 2080Ti to clean it. However, I made the mistake of losing a screw and instead used a similar screw I found laying around. I assume it was slightly longer than the original screw. When I went to turn the system on, it caused a shortcircuit that resulted in smoke coming from the GPU. I immediately turned the PC off and removed the backplate. To my surprise, the GPU still worked perfectly fine. However, a few days ago I noticed that the GPU was running slightly hotter than usual, so I decided to change the thermal paste (when I initially installed the waterblock, I used some cheap thermal paste I bought from a local store because I didn't have anything else available). I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. (with this occasion, I applied it to the CPU aswell). After I put the rig back together, the GPU started artifacting after the Windows boot logo showed up. It eventually got into Windows, but without the driver being loaded. I removed the drivers with DDU, and reinstalled them but unfortunately the issue persists. Basically, as soon as I attempt to load the GPU drivers, the GPU artifacts and fails to load them. If I go in Device Manager and disable then enable the GPU, it artifacts as soon as I enable it, then the screen goes black and eventually the image comes back, but with no driver loaded. I also get the Code 43 error in device manager. It is also worth noting that I'm currently using my old 980 Ti and it works fine, so it being a software issue (or an issue with the rest of the hardware) is out of the question.

Here are some things I tried to do to bring it back to life

- Installed the air cooler (Palit GamingPro dual fan cooler)

- Flashed to a different BIOS (downloaded from TechPowerUp)

- Removed the drivers with DDU several times

Is there anything else I could try to bring the card back or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

i am sad to inform that your loved graphics card is a thing of the past now... RIP... 2080ti

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Good move keeping your old 980 ti. I always keep an old card around so I can continue gaming.

Time to put it to stock and RMA it. 

It dying may have nothing to do with the screw incident. 

So send it off and cross your fingers.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, jones177 said:

Good move keeping your old 980 ti. I always keep an old card around so I can continue gaming.

Time to put it to stock and RMA it. 

It dying may have nothing to do with the screw incident. 

So send it off and cross your fingers.

Good idea. You may be right about the screw incident, since it worked fine after that. I'll try to RMA it and see how it goes.

Hope you didn’t use a food oven like someone else on here did...

Buy magnetic screw bowl, essential for anyone taking apart GPUs etc.

A few dollars and some prep can save hundreds.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

13 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Hope you didn’t use a food oven like someone else on here did...

Buy magnetic screw bowl, essential for anyone taking apart GPUs etc.

A few dollars and some prep can save hundreds.

I've baked laptop GPU MXM module in an oven and resurrected it successfully. The infamous GeForce 8400GS...

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I've baked laptop GPU MXM module in an oven and resurrected it successfully. The infamous GeForce 8400GS...

I managed to bring back some GPUs to life using this method aswell, including the 980 Ti I'm using now :)