prioritizing bandwith via QoS

dnakruf

Hello,

I do not know much of routers and networking but I tried to give my desktop pc priority over other devices at home in terms of bandwidth.

On the router's page I activated QoS and added the individual IP adresses of the devices I want to control the download bandwidths of.

I finished the list, saved it and ticked the "activate" box and then I changed the QoS bandwith to 2mbs.

The problem is, even though my desktop pc's ip adress is not on the list it is still affected by the limitation.

How can I solve this?

PS. I have a Air6372SO.

I do not have this modem/router so I can only give you educated guesses but are you sure this wasn't setup on some form of white/black list? It's possible you keyed in an exception list where everyone BUT those clients are limited to 2MBps.

Did you try removing this list entirely? Did you try restarting the unit afterwards (usually not necessary but sometimes bugs happen where this helps)?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I do not have this modem/router so I can only give you educated guesses but are you sure this wasn't setup on some form of white/black list? It's possible you keyed in an exception list where everyone BUT those clients are limited to 2MBps.

Did you try removing this list entirely? Did you try restarting the unit afterwards (usually not necessary but sometimes bugs happen where this helps)?

Well I tried adding the desktop PC's IP as well and it too was limited to 2MBps. I removed the list entirely now, I'll remake the list and then restart my computer.

In order for QoS to work, it has to know how much bandwidth you have in total so that it can limit the total of all traffic to that rate. The point of QoS is for your router to drop packets instead of the ISP, so in general you would configure the router with a maximum rate that is a bit below your maximum from the ISP - generally about 90%. So if you have 100Mbps download you would tell your router that you have 90Mbps in total for all clients to use.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the meaning of the "QoS Bandwidth" field and it is actually a field to tell your router this total bandwidth amount?

5 minutes ago, Michael Ducharme said:

In order for QoS to work, it has to know how much bandwidth you have in total so that it can limit the total of all traffic to that rate. The point of QoS is for your router to drop packets instead of the ISP, so in general you would configure the router with a maximum rate that is a bit below your maximum from the ISP - generally about 90%. So if you have 100Mbps download you would tell your router that you have 90Mbps in total for all clients to use.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the meaning of the "QoS Bandwidth" field and it is actually a field to tell your router this total bandwidth amount?

Before I changed anything it was set to 0. 

My goal is to give my desktop pc %90 of the download speed while other devices share the remaining %10. Is that possible?

Is there a single "QoS Bandwidth" field or are there several? If there is only one, you should set it to 90% of your speed that you can actually get from the ISP.

The point of QoS is usually to prioritize packets by type (e.g. VoIP has a higher priority than a download) so that interactive applications don't suffer/drop packets when other stuff is going on.

It is less about limiting bandwidth of individual machines.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, Michael Ducharme said:

Is there a single "QoS Bandwidth" field or are there several? If there is only one, you should set it to 90% of your speed that you can actually get from the ISP.

There is only one and now I set it to %90 percent of the speed, I guess I won't achieve my goal after all.

Thanks anyway

It should still be possible to do what you want - there should be a way to give the desktop priority over all the others (although perhaps not on a percentage basis). What settings do you have for each computer under QoS? can you share a screeenshot?

15 minutes ago, Michael Ducharme said:

It should still be possible to do what you want - there should be a way to give the desktop priority over all the others (although perhaps not on a percentage basis). What settings do you have for each computer under QoS? can you share a screeenshot?

Here's what it looks like

Screenshot_2019-12-20-23-28-14.png

Screenshot_2019-12-20-23-28-34.png

Screenshot_2019-12-20-23-28-23.png

I believe what you have to do is add only your desktop IP under "IP QoS" and nothing else, then your desktop will be prioritized over everything else.

10 hours ago, Michael Ducharme said:

I believe what you have to do is add only your desktop IP under "IP QoS" and nothing else, then your desktop will be prioritized over everything else.

Alright, I've done that, will see how it goes I guess.

Thank you so much