Crystal disk info says I may have a dying HDD

chronuss

I recently bought a 8 TB HDD and also have an old 3TB HDD. The 3TB HDD recently stared having issues installing games on steam.  During the installation and download of a game the disk active time was at 100% the whole time. It caused the download to start and stop many times throughout. I decided to see if my drive was failing and downloaded Crystal disk info.  When I checked, I noticed that both the 3TB and 8TB HDD both had the same errors. When I checked online what they meant, most of the results I found were that the drive is dying and needs to be replaced asap.  Is this true? I just bought the 8TB drive around 2 weeks ago so I can still technically still return it on amazon. The 3TB HDD on the other hand is kinda old. Is there any way for software to make the drive fail like that? Is it just luck of the draw? I just recently did the upgrade to windows 10 about 3 weeks ago and now both drives are failing...  Any knowledge about this would help. Thanks in advance!

8TB HDD.PNG

3TB HDD.PNG

2 minutes ago, chronuss said:

Is it just luck of the draw?

Just bad luck.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Hard disks are fragile things... It isn't a matter of if they will go bad, it's when. It is quite possible both are failing drives. Normal software shouldn't ruin them though.

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.